PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Production - redux

No new designs at the moment, just firing up production for give-aways at the April teacher workshop. The road to space set of heavy lifters to get a deep-space mission underway:

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1300016.jpg

L-R, all 1:200 scale: Atlas V heavy (w/ CST-100 capsule at base), Delta IV heavy, Falcon 9 heavy, Falcon 9 (manned "taxi" to LEO), NASA SLS heavy lift (with Mars Society Mars lander), NASA SLS initial version (with Orion), and a Saturn V in the back for perspective.

Also did another scaled set of planets (from German site Planetary models in our free model links). Inner planets scaled to correct relative sizes, same for outer planet set.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1300017.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p1300018.jpg

Working on how to display (big base or on a string with planets spaced at proportional orbital distances). Likely two separate displays, one for the inner planets and another for Jupiter and beyond.

Yogi
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Great job you did there, Yogi. A nice couple of cheese plates full of rockets. That little school bus you hid away in the picture there is a very good thing indeed to show the children the size of all those candles. And I appreciate what you do for educating kids. That's a wonderful thing you do. (I also made a small model of a local bus type to accompany my rocket garden to get a better grasp of their size)

As for a suggestion for the planets, since you never will be able to get it all right in distance and size, I'd put them together on a display base, on different heights, each on their own stick. It makes a nice display that way. As a guideline, you could place an image of the solar system's elements with their relative distance and their sizes on the base.
Are those ball shapes hard to make? Never tried them myself.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks, P-K. The "spheres" are fairly easy if you work with the as-printed size (ends up about 8cm in diameter). There is no folding, just bend the surfaces to the tabs and bend/ease/tease some of the tabs in place as it takes shape. Making two hemispheres is the easiest bit, fitting the two together takes some fiddling. Get a few seams in place, tack with glue, fit a few more, and remember to work all the interlocking tabs into place before gluing up too much of the circumference - you'll need the slack to get everything slipped in.
Reducing things for a scaled set will require using tweezers rather than your fingers (well, my fat fingers anyway) for the smaller globes. Smallest I've done is a 2 cm diameter, not completely impossible.
I'd take a look at either the Earth or Jupiter sets first - graphics on the Jovian moons is quite surprising.
Yogi
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Different, but kind of the same. I did a lot of PaperPino's Christmas balls before Christmas, and the final closures were always difficult. I decided to lose a couple tabs, and add a couple tabs in such a way that I ended up with a closing flap instead of having to get the interlocking tabs to match. It also helped to stuff cotton balls in there to keep the shape and push the glue tabs in place.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Yogi,

Please refresh my memory -- from where did you get the school bus model?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Eternal Member

Mike - Paper Toys at Paper Toys - Paper Cut-Outs - Free at PaperToys.com . Very simple stuff, rescaled as required.
Yogi
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
That's right!

I knew I'd seen it before, but couldn't remember where.

Thank you, Yogi!

Mike
Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Eternal Member

Next up - finally...

Another belated creation (someone mentioned this, oh, about a year or two ago ...).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p2020006.jpg

Yogi
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
looks like the Holmdel Horn-cool!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Whoa! The fellow who lives in that little house there must be exceptionally hard of hearing! (-;