PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Erik, I've used Krylon clear (light coats or it will "soak" a bit) and an art sealer I picked up somewhere. They seem to work just fine - didn't try a dunk test, however. If the Rustoleum worked for your stomp rockets I'd say stick with that as a known quantity.
The keys for a room full of little barbarians seem to be:
- few, big pieces if they are assembling it themselves with Scotch-tape attachment;
- as sturdy as you can make it if they will handle it (emphasize care to them, but it seems much better if they can carefully touch - just looking at something puts it in the same category as just a picture on the computer);
- fairly large scale (your fist sized at least) so they can see and handle; pretty sure the last CSM and LEM I did were 1:48;
- make spares and take a basic repair kit (nail scissors, a bit of card, glue, tape) so that when an accident happens you can just say "it's OK" and press on.

Many of the airplanes, rockets, and space probes I give away are intended to sit on the teachers desk/shelf and so get no special treatment. They all have my email and a standing offer to replace what gets smushed.

Yogi
Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
Thanks Yogi!

The LM & CSM will be a for-the-shelf build. A mini diorama, not intended to be handled. However, it is still a classroom, so anything can happen.

Appreciate the insights and tips.

Thanks again, erik
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Eternal Member

Another teacher workshop completed ... 20 local area teachers treated to a CV-22 on the flight line and some time in the CV-22 simulator. Also had the Civil Air Patrol take up 6 teachers for their Teacher Orientation Program (TOP) flights.
Afternoon seminars included engineering, aerodyanamics, solar astronomy, etc.
Cleared the shelves of all those rockets (post #511), the starprobe display above, a 1:24 New Horizons probe, some 5-gallon bucket vortex cannons, another leaf-blower hovercraft, and lots of airplanes-on-a-stick.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-airplanesonastick.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-paperairplanes.jpg

Of course, I had a teacher request some airplanes for her class - use as prizes for the little barbarians so ...

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p51-racers_plus.jpg

Still waiting to hear just how many she needs (somebody stop me!).
Yogi
Old 04-20-2013, 12:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Oh wow Yogi, those Mustangs are gorgeous!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
Agreed-gorgeous.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm envious of your productivity, Yogi.

Good for you for your CAP work and your contribution to keeping kids off the streets and at the model building table.

Wonderful models! I especially like the Golden Age aircraft. I built a couple of peanut scale stick and tissue Pietenpol Air Campers from Peck Polymers kits back in the day and saw a real one (complete with brass-bound radiator) at the Carlisle Airport a few years back.

Don
Parkville Maryland Squadron, CAP
1954-1958
Old 04-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks, all. The Mustangs are the Fiddler's Green series of air racers. Quick and easy with a little attention to the trailing edge fold on the wing (avoid twist) and tail alignment (close up the bottom of the tail last ...). Also added an internal box to brace the fuselage sides from the canopy forward since they'll likely see a bit of handling.
Trying to get the CAP cadets that helped out interested so I gave them a couple of printed off models to work on and the links - and did the usual CAP Piper Cub for the CAP pilot who flew the teachers.
The Pietenpol and the Fly Baby were pretty interesting builds - though I doubt I'll ever get around to trying them full-scale.
Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 08-29-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Eternal Member

So, slow summer for building (busy with various issues and crises). Thinking about doing the NuSTAR high energy X-ray observatory next. Looks like a hex box (bus), flat (solar panel), couple of cylinders (detectors [2] and mast container), long box (mast), and a couple more cylinders and some prisms for the lens array at the end of the mast.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-artistconcept-1.jpg
http://www.nustar.caltech.edu/

Yogi (still gathering info ...)
Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
So, slow summer for building (busy with various issues and crises). Thinking about doing the NuSTAR high energy X-ray observatory next. Looks like a hex box (bus), flat (solar panel), couple of cylinders (detectors [2] and mast container), long box (mast), and a couple more cylinders and some prisms for the lens array at the end of the mast.

Attachment 178900
NuSTAR - Home

Yogi (still gathering info ...)
Hi Yogi,

Looking forward to, as allways, your next project!

Mike
Old 08-31-2013, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Looks interesting enough, Yogi.
I really hope the issues and crises are all handled well and manageable.