PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
A short distraction

Couldn't resist the challenge (and starting to see results of NASA's Commission on Human Space Flight - AKA Augustine Review) so took some time to make up the SpaceX Falcon 9 launcher requested by Atomsk. Posted under real space downloads.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-spacex_f9_v3.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-spacex-f9-dragon-1-200.jpg

1:100 is a nice scale - unless you've got a Saturn in the display (lower picture is 1:200 scale, printed 4 pages per sheet on plain bond paper). At least, it's easier if you are using a graphics program to draw parts. Using the scale rule, the traditional 1:96 is better.

Yogi (wishing for tiny fingers or a model-maker's elf)
Old 08-28-2009, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Wyvern,
Built a Gypsy also in '95 - sail only. It was doing fine until Hurricane Ivan in 2004 - sailed across the road and into the woods (storm surge, not wind). A bit beyond its seakeeping abilities.
Gypsy is a beautiful design - straightforward to build with just the right curves.
Yogi
Yogi, I'm sorry to hear about your boat! That bites. I hope Ivan didn't damage any other property of yours.

Wyvern
Jacksonville
Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APA-168 View Post
My father is currently building a Pete Stevenson design, the Pocket cruiser. But he initially considered some Bolger designs keeps talking about them. I'm also interested in boat building and the Gyspy one of the designs I keep mentally "bookmarked" for future reference. It certainly is a very attractive design and seems to be well liked by builders.
Avery,
the Gypsy is a breeze to build, and Dynamite Payson provides excellent support. Grab yourself a copy of "The New Instant Boats"; it practically walks you through the tack-and-tape construction. Given your skill at reverse-engineering ACW ironclads, it should be an easy build for you. The basic skill requirements for the Payson/Bolger instant boats are time and room to work.

Wyvern
Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Eternal Member

Second Wyvern on getting Dynamite's books (all three should still be available from his website: InstantBoats.com . I've built the Gypsy, a Windsprint, and the Pointy Skiff - all went together easily and rowed and sailed well. Actually, have built about half his designs in doorskin and veneer sheet (spent 4 years in Tampa with my pool as the only really close water so had to satisfy "she who puts a limit on the size of things floating around the pool or filling the garage").

I'd recomment using heavy card and trying out his designs as 1:12 models. Phil Bolger's book, Boats with an Open Mind is also a good source for designs to model - tables of offsets included with many of the sketch plans.

Hurricane Ivan pretty much took out a van, Harley, garage full of tools, and the structure of the house (didn't quite reach the main floor with all the furniture and "stuff"). On the other hand, we'd planned to rebuild eventually so there was a silver lining for "she who got her new house out of the deal." Also gave me a chance to improve our situation for future storms - built a box significantly higher than the storm surge, filled it with dirt, and built me a house on the hill (OK, dirt pile, but it's all the same to me).

Yogi (on the Bay)
Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Pensacola Bay? Are you close to Mainside?
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Eternal Member

Adopted out the Telescopes

Well, still working on the rocket gardens. No new rockets, just more of them so I have to pace myself or this will become work. 2 Saturn V, 2 Shuttles, and another Long March to go. I think I'll leave the ARES V corner open and put a different one of the various contenders there (ARES V, Jupiter Direct, Delta with Orion, SpaceX Falcon 9 with Dragon, and Ariane V with the ESA ATV-derived capsule).

Went by the Emerald Coast Science Center (hands on science museum, summer camp, and traveling classroom) to say hi. New director is into astronomy so the Hubble, Kepler, and James Webb space telescopes have a new home (will certainly do more good there than sitting in a box in the garage - where most things go when I finish building). Might be a good home for the rest of the used satellite lot/solar system tour.

So, back to the production line (with the occaisional airplane to keep me fresh).

Yogi

Addendum - you should see a model of the MESSENGER mission to Mercury spacecraft posted at one of the mission sites shortly. They were happy enough with the model but my science graphic for the base became outdated just after the spacecraft's first swing by Mercury (third flyby due on 23 Sept 2009 - http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/index.php ). So, I cribbed their latest science brochure for the graphic - surprise, they were then happy!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
I'm working on your JWST as a gift to the president of the UAHuntsville astronomy club.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Eternal Member

Glad to hear it -let me know if you see the need for changes (or graphics improvements).
Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Eternal Member

Ceiling hanger update

Just a quick note on the last batch of airplanes - all out on a mission to inspire/excite (I hope).

Teacher(s) were clueless about the Eagle 5 - elementary school kids had to fill them in on "Spaceballs" ( ... never mind).

The airplanes were easier, FG F-15, F-16, SPAD, and C-47.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p8270487.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p8260483.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-c47-4.jpg

Also made up two examples of the simple Soyuz "kinderrocket" available from the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center - something the class can make themselves.

Yogi
Old 09-05-2009, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Those fg models are fun and quick! Nice on them Yogi, my son has the same C-47 hanging from his ceiling for 4-5 years (with a few others):D