PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-07-2009, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
My JWST of yours that I built while camping this weekend.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Nicely done! That was fast - while camping? Must be a lot nicer camping setup than I can recall - though a few sheets of paper and some glue wouldn't be that much more in the pack (not sure how well my Buck knife would do on the detailed cuts ...).

Any problems that I need to fix?

Yogi
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
RV camping and there wasn't much else to do since it rained the whole time. I also built the pond racer.

Only problems I found were that you might need some clearer instructions.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Eternal Member

Yah, point made on instructions. I need to write up a set and post a revised version rather than just "see NASA." On the list ...

Yogi
Old 09-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Eternal Member

Some maintenance, a project, and distractions

Slowed the pace down a bit - had to do some carpentry for the Emerald Coast Science Center. Built them a straw rocket launcher for their activities/museum (see downloads, Toys & Automata).

Then the mower don't go ... Too lazy to do the whole yard with the push mower so we'll have to fix it. Dropped the transaxle, cracked it open, and found the bearings frozen on the input shaft. Almost fixed, pending some supplies from NAPA (RTV gasket, locktite, heavy grease - been a while so my stash is either gone or aged out).

So, to relax and get some help around here ...

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p9070023.jpg

Then a bit 'o support to put togther a Mariner 10 (first probe to Mercury) kit for a 4th grade class - that why it's a simple design (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it). It did get me a good bus and solar arrays I can use when I get around to crafting a better one to go with the rest of the spacecraft.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-mariner-10-camera-option-2.jpg

Oh, and the MESSENGER Mission to Mercury web site has a new model posted - more detail than the basic box. As always, lots of interesting info there. Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab at For Students
Google Adsense
Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Eternal Member

Cleared the shelves!

Just passed on the used satellite lot, box-o-moon probes, and a rocket garden - better sitting on someone else's display shelf than in boxes in a hot, humid garage.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p3310008.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7120464.jpg

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p8150456.jpg

Turns out the Pensacola Junior College planetarium is being redone (finally going digital) and they had asked the local IPMS club (Pensacola Modelleers - nice, interesting bunch) if they had any space related items to donate. Fellow AF Association member in the club mentioned the request to me in passing - so the space probes and (some of the) rockets have a new home. I'll post a picture after they finish arranging their displays. They seemed happy - also amazed that the models were paper.

Made sure it has a display graphic: "Build Your Own Space Exploration Fleet" with a short selection of free model websites (NASA/JPL, LHVCC, etc.). Most of the planetarium show traffic is kids in school groups so, maybe we add to both the engineering and modeling population. Also the reason to push free sites - school teachers never seem to have any money for these activities.

Next up - a question. They'd really like an ISS model to hang in the entry (big, high open space). I'm wondering how to create a visually effective ISS light enough to safely hang, big enough to be seen hanging 10'/3m above the floor (1:24 or 1:12 scale?), and simple enough that it can be duplicated by a school class (or maybe built by several classes in cooperation?).

Any thoughts?

Yogi - (not quite an "empty workbencher" yet ...)
Old 09-19-2009, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Yogi,

What a great idea. Very generous of you. Sorry, I won't be much help with your ISS project but couldn't pass without commenting on your work. They all look amazing, worthy of display even in some of the best space attraction venues. I was in Florida last year and went to Kennedy (best part of my trip). I was amazed standing in their Rocket garden and I feel the same way looking at yours. The base of your rocket garden is a particularly nice touch. Looks brilliant! And think of it this way. Now you'll have plenty of room to build more of your fine models.

Keep up the good work
Old 09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Stephen - I'm piddling with the ISS. Did an enlargement of some pieces from MARS Center's ISS to work on a 4" dia section. Either wrap PVC (costly and still a bit heavy - but would support itself) or sections cut from 2-liter soda bottles (can screw sections together maybe, not too robust, but maybe cheap enough for a school project). Still thinking. Will likely go talk to Billy at the Planetarium (and drop off a Hubble and JWST).

Yogi
Old 09-25-2009, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Impressive collections, Yogi.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Eternal Member

Teaser?

Thanks Wyvern - though my collection swells and shrinks as I find them homes (making sure "she who will not dust such things" stays happy).

Going to talk to the PJC Planetarium folks next week - pitch them a 1:40 scale ISS. Why that scale you ask - I'll explain in the design and build thread if the PJC folks are still interested in a model to hang in the entry lobby.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p9260008.jpg
test articles in 4", 4.5" bore (60lb card) and half-sized 1:80 scale half-truss/node (bond paper)
As always, I'm not proud. I'd love to collaborate with anyone having an interest in doing some repainting to add detail and fidelity.

Yogi (back to the game)
Google Adsense