PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Ask, and you shall retrieve ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeVikes View Post
Yogi,
The Saturn V you tried to fly is my design! Now I expect you to get it right (so I can shamelessly rip you off and fly my own model...) ;-)
Mike
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-saturn01.jpg

OK, Mike. So, you run some piping under the base of your SaturnV LUT back to the bottle. Make a few mods to the Saturn V (internal band at top of second stage to retain sealing disk, internal former/guide ring, some big holes to fit 1/2 inch CPVC pipe - narrower than PVC).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-saturn02.jpg

Then you put most of it together,

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-saturn03.jpg

with a few parts still to be cut away to make room,

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-saturn04.jpg

and off you go!

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-saturn09.jpg

Yogi (waiting for a dry launch day)
Old 06-25-2010, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
That's awesome!

As it turns out, I just finished building one of your launchers (finally...) last night!

Perfect!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Eternal Member

Sounds like a good complement to your fiery arsenal. Depending on the tubing you used for the main parts, it gives you options if you pick up some adapter couplings - which you can stack in various ways if needed.
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-saturn06.jpg
1/2 inch CPVC (beige pipe) is the narrowest at 5/8 inch outside diameter. A little 1/2 inch CPVC inline coupling is just big enough on the outside to fit snugly into a 1/2 inch PVC coupler so you can attach it to the latter size.

1/2 inch PVC (white pipe or gray conduit) is just under 7/8 inch OD - and there are lots of fittings available to transition it to just about any other size tubing.

1/2 inch PVC seems the most useful since it will fit inside the neck of a soda bottle without modification and make a fair seal (of course some duct tape can make it even better - or drill a hole in the bottle cap to closely fit the pipe).

Enjoy!

Yogi
Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
I couldn't find any of the gray fittings you discussed at my local Lowes, so I ended up epoxying the cap to at 2-liter bottle to the end of my fitting and drilling out the top of the cap. If all goes well, I should be able to just screw the bottle into the remainder of the cap.

I'm hopping between that and my 1/24th scale Mercury Redstone I was talking about a ways back. The booster is almost completely finished, and I'm currently working on Ton's Mercury capsule to top it off. I want to get it done in time for 4th of July so the kids and I can go flying, weather permitting. I have a couple rockets that need maiden voyages, and I'm expecting to add a "D" powered "Gus Grissom-Mobile" to the lineup!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Eternal Member

Mike,
You can use a short piece of 1/2 inch PVC (white or the gray conduit) to fit inside the bottle neck - it seals fairly well as is or with a little tape. The gray coupler is only needed if you're building in 3/4 inch pipe. Not sure even epoxy will stick to the stuff they make the caps out of.

With the 1/2 inch PVC inside the bottle neck, you can use a variety of adapters to join that 1/2 inch piece of pipe to whatever size tubing you're using for the launch tube. See post above for the various sizes you can match to the model/scale you want.

Just for reference, I usually build the launchers completely from 1/2 inch PVC pipe so I can easily slip them into the bottles. I then use a 1/2 to 3/4 PVC adapter to mount a wider "auxillary" 3/4 inch launch tube and a 1/2 to 1/2 CPVC coupler inserted into a 1/2 to 1/2 PVC coupling to mount a narrower 1/2 inch CPVC launch tube.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Great to see you guys Yogi and Mike doing this - two great designers ONE great launcher, and a fine build from Yogi... Hey, don't stomp too hard and break her {get a chute for her decent :D }
Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
I take my hat off and make a bow for your great work, Yogi. Beautiful models!
I never have made a launchable rocket myself, there's only one I'd like to make but that one's quite rare to find and I heard it's a disaster to fly: Tintin's red and white checkered moon rocket. It's nowhere to be found though..
Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Eternal Member

Just to stay current

So, if this is a (more or less) continuous log I'd better make an update.

A short break for 'da niece's wedding in Virginia over the weekend - then writing up directions for the rest of the Bomarc package.
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-blaunch22.jpg
I'll see if the folks at the Eglin Armament Museum would like it as a display since their actual Bomarc is trashed and headed for disposal (long, sad story ...).

I'll have Chris add the launcher to the detailed Bomarc over at ecardmodels (another new experience ...) after I finish and proof the instructions. Should be a freebie to go with the model.

The rest of the week is a modelling write-off. Consulting job and a science workshop (build, launch stomp rockets) for the 9-11 age group over at the Emerald Coast Science Center. That and catching up on work around the house/yard.

Yogi (up next ?)
Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Wow, nice updates Yogi.

Glad to hear of the Bomarc and where it will end up possibly.

Hope ypou have great fun at the workshop!

Will be doing something like that myself. Challenger Center wants more help with another build class on Wed.

Thanks Yogi, for getting me going in the right direction with these Stomp Rockets!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I like your build log, John. It represents a lot of skill, talent, and application.

Don
Google Adsense