PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Z - surf the plans section of the instant boats site. Dynamite has a double ended rowing peapod, numerous sailing designs, and more. All go together quickly and simply from ordinary lumber/plywood. A mix of traditional construction with some f-glass/epoxy where needed. They are designed to be built. Check out the schooners or Gypsy - I think his black skimmer is a classic sharpie.

Either way, the books are well worth it.

Yogi
Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Eternal Member

Race (back) to the Moon - tortoise & hare?

Followed the LCROSS build with a Fiddler's Green LEM - might also do the more complex U-Don version.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7030460.jpg

Got to thinking about a display - maybe a graphic of the Apollo 17 landing site with a burned out LEM landing stage model center surrounded by some historic probes (Ranger, Luna, Lunar Orbiters, Surveyor?) - either battered landers or semi-cratered impactors. Probably just use a graphic on a board - if I end up doing more than one I don't want to get into sculpting terrain.

Put the new ones on sticks surrounding that - Hiten, Clementine, Lunar Prospector, SMART, Kaguya/Selene, Chang-e, Chandrayaan, LRO/LCROSS.

1:48 Prospector
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7050459.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7050460.jpg

1:48 Clementine
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7050456.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7050458.jpg

Whadda ya' think?

Yogi
Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow Yogi!

That is a really cool collection of satellites and space probes you got there! Very impressive. It's amazing just how many of them there are out there.

Thanks for posting these pictures.

Ken
Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Eternal Member

You are where?

Quick update - had some teachers over to discuss a workshop and followed that with a group build of the simple ARES I (for Kids) - available on the downloads here as part of the ARES stomp rocket. It was ... interesting ...

They weren't quite Chthulhu's Far Side rocket - only just. I think I need a redesign (fudge the scale accuracy as necessary) to allow them to build the solid rocket, second stage, and service module around common dowel and PVC pipe sizes. That way the kids can tightly wrap the parts around the dowel, then tape/glue/paste and end up with a "pretty" part.

Also worked up another couple of Moon missions - should be posted on the downloads.

Ranger Impactor
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7070465.jpg
Lunar Orbiter
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7110454.jpg
HITEN Japanese technology demonstrator
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7110456.jpg

Back to relaxin'
Yogi
Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Eternal Member

Rocket Science and Moon Mania

Finished the first rework of ARES for kids - the SRB, second stage, service module, and escape tower all wrap around common "round things" (1/2" PVC, 3/4" PVC, 1" dowell, and 1/8" dowel/bamboo skewer respectively). Perfect scale it ain't, but I'll take it a little fat if it gets the kids building. Still wondering about the simplest way to connect the interstage conic sections - small end of cone into cylinder is an easy slip fit but a fastening challenge unless they use glue; large end of cone slips over some large "teeth" on the cylinder but is still a fastening challenge.

Any thoughts from the forum on the simplest connections - cylinder to cone? Adhesives are limited to tape (preferred), glue stick, and Elmer's (PVA). Don't even ask me about current school rules and X-acto knives ...

Working an FG Cessna 152 - likely keep piddling along on these since I have a teacher who's wants some airplanes to hang from the classroom ceiling.

And the Moon stuff - 20 July 1969!

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7120461.jpg

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2009, 05:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Great work there Yogi. I'm especially happy about Ranger and Lunar Orbiter, which were both absent from my collection until now.
I would say the slip fit is the best (the way the Voyager kick stage truncated cone and cylinder fit together)... it leaves room for slight error and still form a nice tight connection with glue. Tape would look uglier, but could also work with that kind of joint.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Eternal Member

Always learning ...

Finished up the FG Cessna 152 - laying out a few more Fiddler's Green products (they make a relaxing change up from space craft).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7180469.jpg

ARES I classroom project, decided to use tabs on the top of the SRB. To connect you fold them down inside the cylinder before shoving in the interstage cone. That provides enough tension and surface area for a glue stick to adhere. Larger tabs on the top/bottom of the second stage accomplish the same thing and the upper adapter has a gentle enough slope to also work with glue stick.

If you'd like a copy of the simplest ARES (test build/comments appreciated) drop me a note.

Working on four more rocket gardens in response to not-so-subtle hints from the local teachers. Today's lesson - when building one of Ton's superb designs that started at 1:48 scale - going down to 1:200 is a challenge. Mercury Redstone from Delta 7, Atlas from Precision Paper via the wayback machine, and the Gemini Titan is reduced from Ton's 1:96 (which is a reduction of his 1:48 ). 1:200 gives you a "reasonable" classroom sized Saturn V / ARES V-Direct - 22-23". But, Mercury & Gemini come out real small.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7180468.jpg

Yogi
Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member

Progress ... ?

Put together a couple more FG airplanes - Aeronca Champ and F-86. They'll eventually live up by a classroom ceiling, replacing the parachute that is likely blocking the fire sprinklers (hence the request).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7230455.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7230454.jpg

Ton's Saturn I is a treat - even at 50% for a 1:200 scale (OK, 1:192 for you pros out there). Even leaving out "invisible" detail at that scale, it still retains a lot more than a straight tube feel. Did the last three using bond paper for the first stage tanks, easier to work and strong enough. I think I'm up to the halfway point if I carry it up to the ARES V/Direct (Vostok/Soyuz/Long March yes, Nova/Buran no).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p7230457.jpg

Next up is Leo's early Vostok design (half size of course, because I'm just not that smart I guess). I'll try it in bond paper first; worked well for the little Mercury/Gemini. Or, maybe I'll do a FG MiG-15 to pair the F-86 for a change up.

Yogi (it'll get done when it's done)
Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Great Builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Put together a couple more FG airplanes - Aeronca Champ and F-86. They'll eventually live up by a classroom ceiling, replacing the parachute that is likely blocking the fire sprinklers (hence the request).

Attachment 19592
Attachment 19593

Ton's Saturn I is a treat - even at 50% for a 1:200 scale (OK, 1:192 for you pros out there). Even leaving out "invisible" detail at that scale, it still retains a lot more than a straight tube feel. Did the last three using bond paper for the first stage tanks, easier to work and strong enough. I think I'm up to the halfway point if I carry it up to the ARES V/Direct (Vostok/Soyuz/Long March yes, Nova/Buran no).

Attachment 19594

Next up is Leo's early Vostok design (half size of course, because I'm just not that smart I guess). I'll try it in bond paper first; worked well for the little Mercury/Gemini. Or, maybe I'll do a FG MiG-15 to pair the F-86 for a change up.

Yogi (it'll get done when it's done)
Just wanted to add my comments on the great small scale builds you have done. Very clean!

Surfduke
Wishing I was retired for now
Old 08-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Eternal Member

Surfduke,
Thanks for the encouragement. Still plodding along building the rocket garden(s) ... I need to get some more pictures up. A couple more FG airplanes done (clears the head between rockets); still two Vostoks and a Soyuz to finish to bring me up to Saturn Vs (one complete) and beyond (Shuttle, Long March, ARES/Direct/Shuttle Cargo Pod??). I should have at least one done by mid-month ...

Yogi
Google Adsense