PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-13-2016, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
Reminds me of concepts for the sub-orbital X-20 flights.
That's the first thing I thought of as well. It's got to be a proof of concept/test vehicle scaled down as I can't imagine a ship this size would have a lot of value in the long run. Your payloads would be very limited and I can't see how you would get the required velocity from that booster to use this as an ISS servicing vehicle either. For LEO missions your science would be very limited as well.

At any rate, this will be an interesting program to keep an eye on. AND a fun one to model!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
I might be able to help with the letting on the booster. One of my good friends and co-workers is Indian who speaks fluent English.

Using the ISRO (India Space Research Organization) as a starting point, we can pick out the Hindi (Devanagari) consonants and vowel sounds. Hindi is read from left to right. The 3 characters in इ स रोsounds likei, sa, ra or ro.

The top view of the RLV (shuttle) is like a Rosetta stone,
भा र त = India, इ स रो = ISRO, and आरएलवीटीडी = RLV TD (reusable launch vehicle technology demonstration)

The lettering on the side RLV is almost like Rosetta stone, however there is an extra set of characters on the port side. Also because a different font is used, what you seen on the top view of the shuttle may not look exactly like what you see on the side view. On the starboard side the lettering in English is ISRO (forward) and RLV TD (aft). On the port side, that would correspond to the middle set of 3 characters इ स रो = ISRO and aft set of 5 characters आरएलवीटीडी = RLV TD. The forward set of 3 characters भा र त = India.

Now let us look at the booster. The lower set of 3 characters भा र त = India. The upper set of 5 characters आरएलवीटीडी = RLV TD as you suspected.

Hope this helps, Henry Yuen
Attached Thumbnails
India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-rlv-top-view.jpg   India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-booster.jpg  
Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 PM

I forgot upload the attachments
Attached Thumbnails
India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-booster.jpg   India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-isro.jpg   India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-rlv-td.jpg   India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-rlv-top-view.jpg  
Old 06-13-2016, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.75 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
That's the first thing I thought of as well. It's got to be a proof of concept/test vehicle scaled down as I can't imagine a ship this size would have a lot of value in the long run. Your payloads would be very limited and I can't see how you would get the required velocity from that booster to use this as an ISS servicing vehicle either. For LEO missions your science would be very limited as well.

At any rate, this will be an interesting program to keep an eye on. AND a fun one to model!
Yes this is a scaled down version of the final product.

One of the proposed use of this technology is to use the RLV as the second stage, and then have it land for reuse.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlyuen View Post
I might be able to help with the letting on the booster. One of my good friends and co-workers is Indian who speaks fluent English.

Using the ISRO (India Space Research Organization) as a starting point, we can pick out the Hindi (Devanagari) consonants and vowel sounds. Hindi is read from left to right. The 3 characters in इ स रोsounds likei, sa, ra or ro.

The top view of the RLV (shuttle) is like a Rosetta stone,
भा र त = India, इ स रो = ISRO, and आरएलवीटीडी = RLV TD (reusable launch vehicle technology demonstration)

The lettering on the side RLV is almost like Rosetta stone, however there is an extra set of characters on the port side. Also because a different font is used, what you seen on the top view of the shuttle may not look exactly like what you see on the side view. On the starboard side the lettering in English is ISRO (forward) and RLV TD (aft). On the port side, that would correspond to the middle set of 3 characters इ स रो = ISRO and aft set of 5 characters आरएलवीटीडी = RLV TD. The forward set of 3 characters भा र त = India.

Now let us look at the booster. The lower set of 3 characters भा र त = India. The upper set of 5 characters आरएलवीटीडी = RLV TD as you suspected.

Hope this helps, Henry Yuen
Fantastic. This is what I needed.
Thank you very much!!!
Google Adsense
Old 06-13-2016, 10:03 PM

Looks like the spaces between the characters got lost which makes it hard to read. We'll try again, this time from top to bottom as seen on the port side view of the RLV and on the HS9 booster.

bha = भा
ra =
ta =

(hint: bha-ra-ta is how the Indians refer to their county. India is English)

R = आर
L =
एल
V = वी
T = टी

D = डी

I =

S =
RO = रो

Remember, the characters on one side of the spacecraft may look different from those on another side because of a change in font. For example
भा (bha) at first glance may not look like the first (top most) character in the port side view of the RLV, but on close examination, the two are the same.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:50 AM

Thank you again. This is very helpful.
Now to the model.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.27 GB
Haha, I love it!
Congratulations to India, I assume that manned flights will not be far away?

You guys are a wonder, whipping together this gallant vessel in such a short time!

Hmmm, as an old dyed in the wool Trekkie It makes me wonder if we might be able to have a United Federation of Planets after all. If we can get everyone involved on the same page, for mutual benefit in space technologies.

And If only we can conquer man's oldest and most intractable problem, living in peace and cooperating with each other across national boundaries. Maybe, yes?

Formerly Styrene

aka David
Old 05-23-2018, 12:40 AM

Hi guys,

David Hanners started this thread on May 23, 2016, and without realizing it, I was able to give the final touches to this project today May 23, 2018, two years later. Sorry for this long hiatus, it just fell through the cracks.
The good part is that the model is now finished.
Here are the fins.
Attached Thumbnails
India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-676226e8-832c-4368-b3fe-7f67caf89136.jpg   India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-de4aa622-0a6c-416c-83c6-fe729e896a08.jpg   India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-6edefcfe-f6a2-45a4-9729-5475523cc6e3.jpg  
Old 05-23-2018, 12:56 AM

I’m using my ipad to upload the images but unfortunately some photos are seen rotated once uploaded. Sorry for that.
Anyway, here are some photos of the Shuttle. I decided to make simple wings for this version. A friend of mine is helping me to make this model a flying model. He will use balsa for the wings, that’s why they’re flat.
Attached Thumbnails
India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-6648be95-e839-40b4-bb0f-4bbd3bd32602.jpg   India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-64e72b85-e209-441e-b3b5-0514beb5ee80.jpg   India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-d9e849b2-0187-4a2f-8614-d0dd050b0d02.jpg   India's on the line, calling for Alfonso....-80054baa-f6dc-421a-a566-eee4cf640a86.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
isro, rlv-td