PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Absolutely amazing work Tonino! Just wondering how big is this thing, do u have measurements on the floor plan?
Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
Thanks gene1772! To have an idea of the dimensions you can look to the first post of this thread, there is an image of the floor near a ruler.
Anyway it's about 26 cm wide...

And now a detail which I was not really sure to include... curtains!

I wasn't really convinced because this time I used a lot of fantasy as I don't know really what is the real look and structure of the curtains that are provided to cover front windows.
I see in various images that are present blue curtains that are sometimes closed (photo#1)

...and, most of the mission time, fully opened but still visible in lower window section, from inside (photo#2)

...and, even better, from outside (photo#3)

Also central windows has little curtains (photo#4)

I tried to reproduce their aspect printing separate pieces. On cardboard I realized what I supposed to be the curtain holder (in photos it seems to be something like leather or plastic). On thin paper I realized the blue fabric forming the curtain itself (photo#5).

Crumpling the paper it could seem something similar to a wrinkled curtain (photo#6)

Finally I decided to paste those big pieces on the inner window side (photo#7 and 8)

Now I'm pretty satisfied with the result. In photos the curtains show clearly their paper nature but, I assure you, seen with bare eyes the illusion is much better than it seems here.

I would like to hear your opinion about this last addition. Do you like it or find it somewhat "intrusive"?
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-tenda.int.chiusa.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-tenda.int.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-tenda.out.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-centrale.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08460.jpg  

1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08462.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08463.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08469.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I love it. the more detail the better.If your going to do it right,thats the way to go.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi Tonino,

cool idea with the curtains, which should not be missing considering your amazing attention to detail.

BTW, these curtains I had so far still not noticed at all.

On this great panorama from the flight deck of the Discovery they are also to be seen, but I think, you surely know this panorama.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 09-30-2017, 03:33 PM

Wow! Spacerunner, to receive compliments about detailing from you, I think is the greatest prize for a serious modeller! Thanks my friend, I appreciate it a lot!

About the panorama, yes I have it in my resource folder but my main source of inspiration is this BIG 360° photo of the Endeavour...

Well... it's time to complete this dashboard, the most difficult detail awaits me...HUDs!
But first of all let's play with a simpler task: drag chute commands...

It's always surprising how such a little detail like those raised button covers can add a lot of charme to the whole assembly (photo#1).

But time for play is over, now we have to do the hard one...
On the rear you see the new black cover I realized to correct the oversized traces I have drawn before (photo#2).

The first try was a total disaster. I added glue on the edge of transparent pieces but the glue spreaded all over the "glass" (photo#3).

The second one went much better. This time I added a little drop of water to white glue to make it thinner and used a microbrush to place a line of glue on the black piece exactly where the "glass" had to go.
Now the glue is almost invisible and the assembly look pretty stable (but I won't test too much this feature ) (photo#4,5,6)

The HUD in place is very good! I like it. Let's hope it will stay together... I'm afraid this is the most fragile spot in all the model. (photo#7)

Now with ALL the instrumentations and commands in place the upper front section of the cockpit is really complete (actually ... no ... something will lay down from the ceiling... but this will happen later). (photo#8,9,10)

That's all for now!

Hi friends!
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08474.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08473.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08470.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08475.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08476.jpg  

1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08477.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08481b.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08482.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08483.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08484.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Wow Tonino, Wow! The thing looks ready to fly. Great job.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Great thread. Incredible detail!

Thank you for the detail and well written steps you're taking.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 10-02-2017, 04:14 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
It just keeps getting better and better.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Thanks all!!! Happy that you too are enjoying this build.

Waiting for the inspiration to start with the last BIG batch of instrument panels - the ceiling - I keep my hands busy adding some details to the cabin.

First of all I dealed with the aft translational command joystick assembly.

Then I wanted to add that black bar I see in every photo taken at the front cockpit. I'm not sure about its use but, as it's clearly visible, I cannot ignore it.

Finally I made pedal assemblies. The first prototype, you can see in the first photo of the last sequence, was really unsatisfying. Too tall in the base and too flat in the upper section. I rebuilded it wit a lot of greebling to enhance it. The assembly has raised its piece count from 6 to 17 (or 26 counting also microtabs...). Now it's much better, as you can see in the last photos.
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08489.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08490.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08492.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08493.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08495.jpg  

1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08498.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08506b.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08501.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08504.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08505.jpg  

Old 10-21-2017, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonino View Post
Then I wanted to add that black bar I see in every photo taken at the front cockpit. I'm not sure about its use but, as it's clearly visible, I cannot ignore it.
Excellent work on the flight deck. Some really stunning detail.

Just a guess, but I'm wondering if the black bar is a camera mount. There were a number of them throughout the flight deck, and there were clamp devices that attached to the cameras; the clamp could be affixed to the bar.

The Shuttle Crew Operations Manual (at Chapter 2.5-8) discusses various mounts, but doesn't include photos or diagrams of them.

It could also be a mobility aid, something to grab onto when getting in or out of the front seats in zero-G.
Google Adsense