PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
That is some amount of work there for one item, but what an item.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
A little help request!

Hello my friends,

I am a little confused about a detail that is not well described in the images I have.

It's that sort of bracket you can see aside the aft joystick in the photo below.

I don't know if this is an element connecting the joystick box to the aft console or it is a separate thing. I don't know what is its function as well.
It appears to have a sort of button on top of it. Perhaps it is to lock / unlock the joystick to move it forward before using it and to stow it away after use.

Anyway in all photos, like this one, you cannot figure well how this bracket looks like. you can see only part of it.
Anyone has a better photo or a technical drawing depicting exactly how this part is conformed?

Thank you in advance for any contribution.
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-supporto-aft-joy-3.jpg  
Old 01-14-2018, 03:59 PM

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-endeavourflightdeck_cooper_960.jpg  
Old 01-16-2018, 11:42 AM

Thanks EagleClaw, but the part I'm searching is on the aft section of the cabin. Anyway this is a really good Endeavour image and I'm putting it in my reference archive.

Well, while I'm dealing with this mount detail I'll show you some good pieces I just completed for my aft cabin.

First of all the LOS (line of sight) indicator block, which comprises approaching computer and all the commands used for rendez-vous (with any object in orbit, space station, Hubble telescope or broken satellite... recalling shuttle simulator sessions, one of the thoughest thing to do because the space out there is VERY BIG!)

The box containing distance measurement displays has a really complex shape, not easy at all to do those folds in such a little piece. But with a little help from my beloved mini-tabs the box came out pretty well. The handle protection gave me something to worry about... but eventually all went fine... and this is now a really nice piece of equipment.

Next you see the aft mission timer. This is another complex shape that I had to redesign in two separate components (my first try was one-only-piece nearly unbuildable complex group of faces and folds...) Now it is really simpler to put togheter and the final result is pretty good.

Then there is the rear MFD, the last one I had to build for this model.

And, finally, to complete the rear equipments one last device is needed: the two video monitors used to perform almost any external task without doing an EVA. Anyone of you that played a little with simulators knows very well how much time you spend looking at those monitors trying to grab something with the Remote Manipulator System (the external "arm"). A really complex task if you want to do it in the right way (without switching to external views... )

The rear shape of this assembly is not well visible in photographs.
I tried to obtain a good compromise between look and "buildability"
Video screens are taken from real NASA STS134 operation checklist freely available on web.

The big problem, at this point, was how to place the monitors in the right position inside the cabin. The only workaround I was able to find is this ugly cylinder that has no real counterpart in the actual shuttle, but this was the only way I was able to think to fix it in place as I have no idea of the real aspect of the actual hanging mechanism.

Well, we'll see how it looks once in place... very soon!
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08620.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08622.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08624.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08625.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08627.jpg  

1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08633.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08635.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08629.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08637.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08639.jpg  

1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08630.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08631.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08632.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08649.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08650.jpg  

Old 01-20-2018, 05:20 AM

Again about aft joystick mounting...

I eventually was lucky and found, in another very huge collection of original photos (at the Library of Congress website), a nice photo taken at a low angle in the aft cockpit, showing the RHC assembly from a new point of view

Since this photo was available for download in a really HiRes format, I was able to focus on a single detail that was the one I was searching for.

So I now have a better idea about what is behind the corner

In detail I had confirmation that there is a sort of tube connecting the joystick box to console side wall.

Having this photo as a reference I draw a whole new detail using the same "layers" technic as for the joysticks.

And now the aft section is really complete.

I'm so satisfied with the result that I dare to show it side by side with the real Endeavour!
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-aftdown.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-supporto-aft-joy.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08643.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08644.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08645.jpg  

1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08646.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08647.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-dsc08648.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-2.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-1.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2018, 05:40 AM

The attention to accurate detail.....
Old 01-20-2018, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
A great job of designing and modeling just gets better....
Old 01-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Very close to identical twins! Great work! Great model!

Fred
Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
I kept going back and forth between the two, real and model, photos for comparison. All I can say is, amazing , simply amazing.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:49 PM

Im really looking forward to the finished product.This is better than a simulator.