PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-13-2016, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Welcome back Tonino! Reading your plan, it seems to me that every part you are reworking is a project by itself. I'll follow your progress with interest, because i'm sure that the final result will be astonishing.
Best, Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 09-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 114.28 MB
1:16th Scale Space Shuttle Flight deck

Hi Tonino,

The detail level and quality at this large scale is astonishing! And the precision with which you assemble the carefully cut parts also is.

I look forward to seeing more from this interesting build. Will you also try to replicate the approximate coloring of the flight deck (controls, monitors and displays, window shades, etc, etc)? And - are there parts for the lower deck as well? I can see that the openings (behind the seats in the aft section) are already cut out.

I have Thorstens parts downloaded and I am thinking about attempting something similar. I also have an ongoing (forever, it seems) build of the Marscenter Atlantis shuttle, upscaled to 1:32 and laser printed on shiny white cardboard (with scanned parts from the Czech Betexa Raketoplán Atlantis model), all in the same 1:32 scale.

Thanks for sharing the highly interesting photos - it's like peering in through the windows of the real thing!

All the best to you from Stockholm,
Bengt
Old 09-20-2016, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
Thanks to you all for your kind words, this project is going to turn into an EPIC enterprise! But I have every intention to keep working on it to the very end!
@Bengt: regarding the final aspect of the surfaces look to the rest of this post: you'll be pretty satisfied (I think) Talking about the mid deck I'm not planning - for now - to continue the build after the floor. This doesn't imply that, in future, an expansion won't be considered. The final model will be, in my plans, like a cake slice. Could be considered as a "modular" model. Who knows? We shall end with a 1:16 complete shuttle model!

But let's go on with my last efforts...

During last days, before starting to deal with the external fuselage, I have played a bit with instrument panels.

Thorsten's details are very good for a 1:48 scale but I needed something more so I decided to redraw all the surfaces from scratch. I pasted rescaled diagrams taken from NASA original handbooks on the panel outline (see photos) and started outlining every detail, from the first screw to the last gauge... I know that the detail level I'm trying to achieve is far too high even for a 1:16 model but, as you consider that the drawings are all vector graphics, the work done is not useless because it can be printed at any scale without any detail loss. So, one day, someone could even decide to make a real size shuttle cockpit and my files will be completely suitable!

In the images you see my first 3 panels (O1, O2 and O3) compared with the original from Thorsten's model, and a little enlarged O2 section compared with a photo from the real Endeavour panel. The real photo is somewhat distorted because it comes from a 360° panorama.
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ovr.tot.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ovr.wip.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ovr.z1.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ovr.z2.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-o2.img.jpg  

Old 09-20-2016, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Shuttle pilots must've been trained for years.... the control panels look so complicated. Well..... it is the most complex machine mankind has ever built.

Over 2.5 million parts!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2016, 03:21 PM

A little update.
Texture work is going on, slowly! As I feared this is a HUGE drawing work.

First photo shows you how I'm working
I have reduced to scale the original NASA diagram and then I put all the objects on it. The various components have to be drawn only once, then I can copy and paste them repeatedly. This speeds up the whole process but it's equally a long work. Then I have to make all the writings and lines one by one. Finally I add the fill color to the panels, turn text and lines color to white and the game is done.

Here are the completed panels so far and, last, a complete view of all the overhead section as it appears once assembled

See you soon for the next update...
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-o6_o9.wip.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-o5.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-o9.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-o6_o7_o8.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-front_ovr_tot.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.69 GB
Awesome, Tonino.
Really a first class woek
Old 09-28-2016, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 176.06 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by N96HBK View Post
Shuttle pilots must've been trained for years.... the control panels look so complicated.
About two years from selection as an astronaut candidate to completion of initial training, and then on average about another five years before your first flight.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 AM

I've just finished drawing overhead panels.
Here are the last ones, the aft section.
Here you see panels from O13 to O17 and, last but not least, the little nice O19.

Finally I put here a full view of all the overhead panels assembled in their respective positions. Nice view!

Now I'll start with left side panels...

See you soon.
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-o13.o14.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-o15.o16.o17.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-o19.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ovr.final.jpg  
Old 10-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
I anticipate seeing this model in museums in a few years...Brilliant work Tonino.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:17 AM

Thanks @chicharrero and @SAustin16 for your appreciation. I don't know if this thing will be seen in museums or not (for sure it will be in some modeling context!) but you're right talking of years... I don't think this is gonna be a short time build!
Google Adsense