PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-16-2016, 02:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
This week I had to fight against front left consoles: boys... they was really a complex work! This especially for the big amount of graphic schemes drawn on them, a lot of drawing lines that I hope will be - at least - barely visible in the model. In the pics you see:
- L1 panel. The most complex I've drawn till now...
- L2 panel. I was forced to modify a little its contour shape (compared to NASA original drawing) to fit it the best way in the console part (the shape of underlying face was not exactly the same).
- L4. is the first of the various electrical panels. I didn't have a good photo of this one so I was forced to speculate a bit about the exact look and colour of the various fuses. I hope it's not too much different from the real one on the Endeavour.
- The little L5. Here I started to imagine how to add some real 3D to the recessed panels like this one.
The following image shows the two front left consoles in their respective positions. The white rectangle is the spot where is going to be placed the thrust/speed brake controller...
...that is depicted in the following image. This my first customized component for the cockpit. I still don't know how is the fitting of this thing, I'm going to test it soon, currently I'm only drawing...
The last photo shows the wall between left front and left aft flight deck. I modified this piece because I didn't like the way it was unfolded. Added some detail and another custom object... to be test builded...

This is all for today. Next part the front right consoles. Bye!
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-10-16-19.34.52.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-10-16-19.36.42.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-10-16-19.37.23.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-10-16-19.37.50.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-10-16-19.39.48.jpg  

1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-10-16-19.39.23.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-10-16-19.38.45.jpg  
Old 10-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Such great detail. Will be interesting to see how this translates to card...
Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 176.06 MB
Do you know if there were substantial differences in the cockpits from one shuttle to another? It looks like you're not doing the upgraded glass cockpits that they started installing in (I think) 1998, but I wasn't sure if all of the original cockpits were identical either, since the shuttles themselves were slightly different.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:43 AM

For what I know there was only little differences between the cockpits in the Shuttles, reflecting the differences in instruments fitted on board.

The main differences (not very substantial) between panels fitted in various shuttles are well described in NASA document "main shuttle crew operations manual" (see photo: this image refers to an Endeavour specific panel) that I'm using extensively for my redrawing work.

Other differences was linked to mission specific panels that was fitted according to the payload or other instrumentation used in the single mission.

Other differences was seen, during activity, in a same aircraft, when new features was added or upgraded. The greatest of all was, as you noted, the "glass cockpit" when most of the analogic instrumentation was substitued by digital screens (MFD's).

This is exactly the set of intrumentation that I want to put in my cockpit. The black outline you see in my test build is just the Thorst's model scheme I leaved there for reference but it's not the final scheme for my model. Now I'm redrawing all the instrumentation from scratch and when it will come to the front dashboard you'll see a complete "glass cockpit".

The specific configuration I choose to depict is the Endeavour's STS134 mission (the last one with an Italian astronaut on board, Roberto Vittori). The best reference I was able to find to document my detailing work is this great photo I found on the Gigapan website, where you can zoom any point of the cockpit to a surprising zoom level. Great for almost every spot of the flight deck (except the ones covered by other objects) ...

BTW if anyone has (or knows where to look for) any mission specific photo reference about STS134 it would be more then welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ov105.jpg  
Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 AM

At images.nasa.gov, it looks like they have about 2000 images when you search "sts 134". 1460 are from the year 2011. About 50 images if you search "sts 134 flight deck".
Google Adsense
Old 10-18-2016, 11:52 AM

WOW!!! Believe it or not I didn't know that images database...
It has really a great bunch of stuff, many of them I didn't have seen yet.

Thanks a lot, this will be helpful.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:02 AM

Here are my last panels...
Now doing right side near pilot's seat

Here are R1, R2, and them both in place.
Next is R4 that is on the middle wall on the side facing forward, just under the fire extinguisher

Then the whole piece that I modified somewhat from original design.
I noted in Thorst's model that the side facing rear had a panel on it. That panel is the R7 (I put in the NASA scheme) Anyone knows what this was for?
However in Endeavour photos seems that this panel have been removed (see next photo) and so did I on my model.

The next image is my second original piece: the fire extinguisher (that I'm very proud of... ) The only decent image I've found depicting the extinguisher is one taken on the Discovery. Starting from this photo and comparing it to images of other extinguishers (from the same manufacturer) found on the web I tried to obtain a reasonable copy of the one that should have been present on Endeavour.

That's all for now. See you soon!
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-r1.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-r2.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-r1-2.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-r4.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-11r.jpg  

1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-r7.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-10-22-19.16.39.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-ext.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-estintore.jpg  
Old 10-24-2016, 05:17 PM

It looks like that panel controls SpaceLab systems - maybe it isn't installed when SpaceLab is not flying in the payload bay.
I'm guessing the EPDS section is Electrical Power Distribution System, and the other boxes look like they could be SpaceLab specific controls as well.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:47 AM

Yes, thanks nnlee. Spacelab program missions were conducted to perform science experiments before the ISS completion so that panel was fitted only for those missions (25 shuttle flights between STS 9 and STS 99). This explains well its lacking on late missions (like STS 134...)
Old 11-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Here I am again with my last panel work...
This time I placed my hands on the most important panel in all the model, the real eye-catching spot (at least in my opinion): the front dashboard.
This is the reason I took some more time to draw it...

The most difficult thing was to choose the MFD screens to show. I don't know if this is a combination that could really have been observed. I also don't know if the screens were choosen freely from commander and pilot or they always were recalled in fixed combinations. I imagined an on-orbit operation phase for my shuttle and placed visualizations that could be seen in that configuration. The text screens are all from OPS201 program and shows general informations. I hope this view is not too far from reality.

I also started to add details on the underside of the parts because I'd like to place real light spots in the places where they really was in the cabin.

This is all for now... next time.... aft compartment... I think.

Bye.
Attached Thumbnails
1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-11-12-16.44.16.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-11-12-19.03.51.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-11-12-19.04.02.jpg   1:16 Space Shuttle flight deck-screenshot-2016-11-12-19.03.27.jpg  
Google Adsense