PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-21-2016, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
Broke only 1 part off, one of the TT&C low gain antennas, while gluing together the liquid apogee motor. In the end, I rigged together a system where I could lay the model on its side without placing the weight of the model on some small, easy to break off, part. I found a scrap of cardstock and punched a hole where the low gain antenna or solar panel axle could fit through while the model was on its side and placed it on top of an open container.

Next the attitude control thrusters.
Attached Thumbnails
Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-14-liquid-apogee-motor-5583.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-15-lam_heat-shield_adapter-5588.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-support-keep-parts-breaking-off-5584.jpg  
Old 12-21-2016, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Would building the model on a stick and stable stand be of benefit? Mounted through the bottom of the model.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Thank you SAustin16 for your suggestion. Good idea. Next time, I could change the order of construction, Soon after the cubic primary structure is built, the next step would be to insert a BBQ skewer that would go through the model from the Apogee Motor to the propellant tank. The last step in the construction would be to slide the skewer out and then glue on the propellant tank and apogee motor, hiding the hole that the skewer went through. Or plan B. Move the apogee kick motor up in the order of construction. Make sure the adapter/interface between the space craft and the 4th stage is securely glued to the model. Then build a truncated cone that would tightly wrap around but not glued to the adapter or the spacecraft. That would form both a stand and a handle. The last step in the construction would be to cut and unwrap the temporary stand and a handle.

The model is finally done. I am guessing that on its trajectory to Mars, which would be at 12 o’clock, Mangalyaan was oriented so its HGA was pointing to Earth at 10 o’clock, and its solar panels would be rotated to face the sun at 9 o’clock.

Part 45 is the support for the heat shield (see attached photo). Parts 59 and 62 are optional. I think they provide support the HGA and solar panels from vibrations when folded during launch (see attached photo). I don’t know if they are detached after the HGA and solar panels are unfolded. If they are, then leave them off the model. Finally there is something next to the medium gain antenna (see attached photo). I don’t think it is the coarse sun sensor (faces the wrong direction) and all of the 5 scientific instruments are accounted for. I left this part off the model but if anyone can identify the part, I can add it later to both the model and the patterns. As a way of giving back to the paper modeling community I uploaded the patterns and instructions to the download section. And just in time for Christmas. Have a nice holiday season everyone. And happy anniversary MOM. Henry Yuen
Attached Thumbnails
Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-hga-dish-medium-gain-antenna-star-sensor.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-liquid-apogee-motor6.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-solar-panels-23-row-x31col-cells.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-16-hga-ribs.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-17-solar-panels.jpg  

Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-18-attitude-control-thrusters.jpg  
Old 12-23-2016, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 859.7 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlyuen View Post

<snip>

Finally there is something next to the medium gain antenna (see attached photo). I don’t think it is the coarse sun sensor (faces the wrong direction) and all of the 5 scientific instruments are accounted for. I left this part off the model but if anyone can identify the part, I can add it later to both the model and the patterns. As a way of giving back to the paper modeling community I uploaded the patterns and instructions to the download section. And just in time for Christmas. Have a nice holiday season everyone. And happy anniversary MOM. Henry Yuen

I just joined this forum due to this thread and Henry this is so amazing and intricate. I have only dabbled in 3D modelling a bit and process of making something really gives a new perspective and insight into subject.

That part is indeed bracket for placing Course Analog Sun Sensors(9 in total) CASS-42 and CASS-47. They were placed in such odd way to avoid proximity to medium gain antenna according to this paper on "Electromagnetic compatibility of MARS Orbiter Mission spacecraft"

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ion_spacecraft

Quote:
Based on the Microwave Simulation in CST Software, it was analyzed that (Course Analog Sun Sensor) CASS -42 and CASS - 47 Subsystem would be experiencing high Electric Field (about 80 V/m) due to the proximity of the MGA, hence they were relocated.
Also a while ago I found this animated assembly of MOM and put it on Youtube might be of some use, it has all parts labelled.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 398.46 MB
Got mine, thank you hjlyuen
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2016, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 859.7 KB
Also attached image shows orientation of orbiter during various phases
Attached Thumbnails
Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-thermal_mngmt.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 11:21 AM

Thank you Ohsin for the link to the MOM animated assembly video. I can see the coarse analog sun sensors now. I originally thought it was a single unit with 9 heads. I see in the video that there are multiple units (I am still counting to see if I can find all 9 of them) on at least 2 sides of the space craft. I wish I had seen the animated assembly video earlier when I was working on the star sensors. Give me a couple of days and I will have new patterns for a revised sun sensor, attitude control thrusters, and the missing CASS. Thank you again, Henry
Old 12-26-2016, 01:06 PM

Thank you again Ohsin for the link to the MOM animated assembly video. It took a while but I finally found all 9 sun sensors, mounted on 5 different brackets. Two brackets have a pair a pair of sensors each, another 2 have only one sensor each, and the fifth has 3 sensors. I am guessing the pairs are slit style (versus pin hole style) sun sensors mounted with one perpendicular to the other, i.e. 2-axis similar to the diagram attached. Although all 9 were labeled as coarse sun sensors, the bracket with the 3 sensors may have been a fine sensor setup similar to the diagram attached.

Now that we know the location of the sun sensors, I replaced the files in the download section with version 2. The differences between version 1 and 2 are (1) 5 new sun sensor assemblies, (2) revised mount for one of the star sensors (lowered the height by about 13 cm, or 1 mm in 1:87 scale), and (3) recolored attitude control thrusters. I found a photo of Mangalyaan atop the PSLV just before the fairing was secure and in that photo the bottom of the thrusters were white, not the gold colored thermal insulation.

Thank you again, Henry
Attached Thumbnails
Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-12b-sun-sensors-5625.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-12c-sun-sensors-5626.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-17-solar-panels.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-18-attitude-control-thrusters.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-2-asix-sun-sensor.jpg  

Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-fine-sun-sensor.jpg   Mangalyaan ISRO Mars Orbiter Misson 1:87 scale-pin-hole-sun-sensor.jpg  

Tags
isro, mom