PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-03-2017, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Upcomming Project - NigeriaSAT-2

Hello all. I allowed myself to sidetrack Hubble with research on TDRS, and in doing so I came across an article on the six Nigerian satellites. Nigerian satellites?!? Sure are. Apparently the NASRDA contracted with Surrey Satellite Technologies and China to participate in the construction of and launch of several Earth observation and communications satellites. I picked out NigeriaSAT-2 based on the SSTL-300 bus and went to work.

I'm going to try to produce something based on this build for Media Classroom's curriculum. Something for the 8-14 year old with maybe some kid-friendly STEM to space articles or practicals. That's still in the works, I need to redesign the tab-slot design a bit more and test it out on my nephews/nieces.

In the meanwhile my third prototype is done and I'm on to composing the instructions. Here's some pictures to spark anyone's interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Upcomming Project - NigeriaSAT-2-nigeriasat-2-complete.jpg   Upcomming Project - NigeriaSAT-2-sstl-300-img_7892.jpg   Upcomming Project - NigeriaSAT-2-0onqcqi.jpg   Upcomming Project - NigeriaSAT-2-zbkkbja.jpg   Upcomming Project - NigeriaSAT-2-w02rwav.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
Looks great!
Old 01-04-2017, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 398.46 MB
I didn't know Nigeria made satellites. You have made a very nicely, detailed model.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:51 AM

Thanks guys. I published the builder's kit to the forum, it'll be available in the download section shortly I'm sure.

This was kind of an interesting build for me. Mostly because of how little information there was available (even less than the inaccurate LADEE details I tried to build from), and yet its a fairly simple spacecraft design. There's only a few clean-room images out there and then only the same 2-3 sides. Nothing in the media for dimensions what so ever. No response from NASRDA and a "yeah, good luck with that" response from the manufacturer. I did have the dimensions of the primary mirror and the dimensions of the solar cells.

So most of this design is extrapolated by assembling the solar arrays (by building up the rows and columns from the known cell size). Next I placed the primary and secondary imagers in the position that best matched the available media pics. And lastly, because the bus is used in several other projects, made assumptions of what the other sides would have based on the compilation of over 40 other cleanroom photos and manufacturer sales models.

Once again, I think I'm off a bit on the angle and size of the star trackers. I think the bus might be a smidge too wide. If I get some feedback from the sources, I will update the kit. But I'm happy and I think you'll be too.

What's next? As I mentioned, I'm building a classroom ready model with Media Classroom and he'll have that and I'll host it here too. But now a question for you? Should I send a model and a print of the downloads to Surry Satellite Technologies and the Nigerian embassy? Think anyone will find it interesting?
Old 01-06-2017, 09:00 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
file has been approved
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanks Rick.

I've published an update to the file, sorry everyone who have downloaded already, but this is a minor fix. I modified the mounting post for the display base. In my rush to publish, I'd misaligned the tabs and my son complained that it was too easy to knock over. So I made it a bit larger and, well here's a picture of the modification.

Also, I found a source for the sun sensors (referred to in step 27) and I was about .05mm too wide. Seriously, you probably won't notice, but since I was updating the file anyway ...
Attached Thumbnails
Upcomming Project - NigeriaSAT-2-untitled-1.gif  
Old 01-09-2017, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.87 GB
Thank you very much for this excellent model.