PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-22-2017, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt F View Post
Thank you so much, Leo!

This is a tremendous upgrade on the older Mercury capsule models, and it is also available in two scales, 1:48 and 1:24! Wow!

I am going to build it in 1:24 scale, and I'd like to somehow include a transparent double window and the shallow scales or 'louvers' on the steel plates, that we were debating so heavily when Carl Hewlett made his fine model, some years ago. I remember doing an embossing test with a steel tool, that turned out reasonably well.

All the best,
Bengt in Stockholm
Not actually louvers... corrugations. The external panels of the spacecraft were "corrugated" so that the extreme heat of ascent through the atmosphere and reentry, which led to thermal expansion of the panels, would not cause them to warp and buckle... the expansion of the metal was taken up by the corrugations as the metal heated and expanded and then cooled and shrank back again.

I would think embossing would be quite acceptable. Might require a curved "backing" however so that the embossing would conform to the curvature of the panels. Embossing curved parts when they were flat and then trying to roll them to a curved shape might be problematical; I guess a lot would depend upon the degree or curvature and the depth or number of corrugations...

Best of luck! OL J R
Old 01-22-2017, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Not only the Mercury spacecraft;

Leo has also made a new Atlas-D launcher for the 1/48 Mercury capsule model! And it is amazingly detailed, the best by far yet! Incredible! Imagine this model printed on RedRiver metallic paper or similar?

Атлас

Thanks again, Leo!

All the best from
Bengt in Stockholm
Awesome! I was hoping the booster wouldn't be far behind! I lost my files to surfduke's kit years ago and I've been pining for a really good Atlas!
Old 01-23-2017, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Thanks again Leo,

What a treat!
You're spoiling us...

And my troubles are fast growing: where to find time ? ;-)

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Certainly very gorgeous for a freebie! many thanks for Mr. Cherkashin generosity

Quote:
Not only the Mercury spacecraft;

Leo has also made a new Atlas-D launcher for the 1/48 Mercury capsule model! And it is amazingly detailed, the best by far yet! Incredible! Imagine this model printed on RedRiver metallic paper or similar?

‚ла

Thanks again, Leo!

All the best from
Bengt in Stockholm
I'd really want to built it metallic paper, i even got few ready in my stash
I see atlas has different shade of metal on the half stage? anyone who experienced in atlas LV please advise
Old 01-23-2017, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Wow, these models are looking good. But then again, Leo Cherkashyn is one of the best designers around.
Now that Carl Hewlett probably will never provide us with a good build description for his already fantastic Mercury, this is great news.
Carl's interior however is unique and I have built it and it looks fine.

Now that 1/48 Atlas is phenomenally detailed. Again, my compliments, Leo! Fantastic job.

@Raja Ahsani: The Atlas had several shades of silver/aluminium on its hull. Look up some photos of the Atlas D and see for yourself. When I was building the Atlas in 1/96 I solved this by using strips of sticky Bare Metal Foil, which is thinner and sturdier (but also more expensive) than aluminium foil to create these different 'rings' of hull material.
You could try and glue aluminium foil to the hull when it is not yet rolled into a tube. Make sure the foil is as smooth as you can make it. Glue it with CA and make the seam disappear beneath either one of the extended fairings or beneath the electrical duct.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 406.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ahsani View Post
I see atlas has different shade of metal on the half stage? anyone who experienced in atlas LV please advise
Yes, depending on the particular model, the half stage is either White, Grey, or more of a flat silver rather than the polished silver of the tanks.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:07 PM

May also be an attempt to create that frosted look of the booster at the moment of launch.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
May also be an attempt to create that frosted look of the booster at the moment of launch.
Ooh, so that's why it looks white during launch, thanks for the info, certainly new to me

Started the Atlas LV tonight, tho the paper is not silver enough to my taste

Attached Thumbnails
New upload from Leo K " Mercury "!!-dsc_0114.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Wow!!! this was sorely missing from the 1:48 collection; I'm really glad to see a Mercury-Atlas in 1:48 scale. Thank you so much!!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ahsani View Post
Ooh, so that's why it looks white during launch, thanks for the info, certainly new to me

Started the Atlas LV tonight, tho the paper is not silver enough to my taste
Well I agree with you, I'd love to have a true silver version but they're tricky. Actually I was a bit surprised that it wasn't a darker gray like his R-7's.

I don't know how far along you are, but be aware that part 108 doesn't exist. It's supposed to be a reinforcing ring for the conical part of the booster but it's not on the parts sheets. Don't really need it as far as I can see. Also, if you haven't built the Mercury capsule yet, part E03j is missing it's color. It should match part E03i. It's a tiny little cap at the bottom of the LES that covers the top of the capsule. I colored mine in with a pencil and it looks fine.

What I'm having issues with is the red retainer ring that holds the capsule to the booster. The heat shield doesn't fit through it so unless I want to permanently mount everything, it seems it will only stay in place by gravity. So I may add a thin strip inside it to help everything stay in place.
Google Adsense