PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.21 MB
Mcdonnell douglas dx 9

Finally got it finished, it took a while as I was busy with other things.
Attached Thumbnails
Mcdonnell douglas dx 9-100_0371.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Isn't that one of the re-usable first stage rockets? They seem to have gone out of business, it is now all Space-X
Old 01-22-2017, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.21 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
Isn't that one of the re-usable first stage rockets? They seem to have gone out of business, it is now all Space-X

Yes , the original vertical take off and landing concept rocket from the late 90's. The model was a freebie from the lower hudson valley paper model company.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
Yeah, DC-X, also called the "Delta Clipper", started out as a low cost, high flight rate vehicle for the Strategic Defense ("Star Wars" project) which would require simple, low cost, fast-turnaround vehicle for servicing space-borne weapons platforms at a frequency much higher and at much lower cost than the shuttle. It was envisioned that the program would start with the DC-X (experimental) vehicle of about 1/3 scale of the final orbital-capable vehicle. DC-X would not be capable of achieving orbital altitudes or velocities, but instead would be used to demonstrate the concept of vertical tail-first landing and rapid turnaround (low ground servicing requirements between flights) and to develop experience and demonstrate the concepts required to support this type of operating regime.

When the Strategic Defense Initiative fizzled out, after the Delta Clipper had already had considerable success in early flights and in a MUCH shorter period of time and at MUCH lower cost than typical NASA efforts, the project was transferred to NASA as the SDIO was phased out. NASA took the project on, grudgingly, though it much preferred it's own similar project to develop a single-stage-to-orbit vehicle, the X-33 "Venturestar", a reusable lifting-body type vehicle that would land like the shuttle after gliding down to a runway. The program languished under the burdensome NASA requirements and the "Not Invented Here" syndrome that usually handicaps projects transferred into and out of NASA, and suffered a landing problem with a failed landing leg deployment that caused the vehicle to topple onto its side after landing, causing "irreparable damage" to the prototype and causing the program to be canceled in favor of the X-33, which continued for some time, until it too was canceled after "unsolvable problems" with it's lobe-shaped composite hydrogen tanks occurred during development.

DC-X was one among an entire pantheon of canceled NASA development projects that were dumped about the time they were showing promise in favor of new projects or new paradigms that, in their turn, were also canceled... NASA then returned to its roots "back to Apollo" with the CEV design for a shuttle replacement and back to expendable rocket vehicles instead of pursuing more advanced reusable designs, which they have left to commercial interests like SpaceX and Blue Origin, among others.

Later! OL J R
Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
With the demise of Ton Noteboom's site, does anyone know if jparenti's repaint of the DC-X in its rollout markings is available online anywhere?
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2017, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 114.28 MB
Hi David,

I know I have jparenti's DC-X model (by Ton Noteboom) somewhere on my separate drive, but I can't find it just now. Perhaps Jon Leslie has it on his web site (The Lower Hudson Valley...)?

All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt
Old 01-31-2017, 01:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.67 GB
It's still listed in our download section , but the file is not there .. the discription, is still there ..
Old 01-31-2017, 10:18 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmilestones View Post
It's still listed in our download section , but the file is not there .. the discription, is still there ..
Can you provide a link to the download, so I can check it out

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt F View Post
Hi David,

I know I have jparenti's DC-X model (by Ton Noteboom) somewhere on my separate drive, but I can't find it just now. Perhaps Jon Leslie has it on his web site (The Lower Hudson Valley...)?

All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt
The one on Jon's website lacks jparenti's updated markings. I was looking for the one with the rollout markings.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.67 GB
It's on the paper modelers downloads under real space ( unmanned ) second page .. it's a j parentis upload ...
Google Adsense