PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
LRO/LCROSS stack

Just printed out the LRO (had to copy the pdf and paste into another page to get the edges to print, then reduced to 1:48 from the original's 1:30). Working up the numbers for the LCROSS and Centaur impactors before I start - seems incomplete without them. Couldn't find a good Centaur stage to kit-bash. A few good pictures on the mission site and in the press kit.

So far: RL-10 nozzle cone 3' and 1' diameter 4.5' tall; bottom of Centaur cone 2' and 10' diameter, 3.5' tall; Centaur body cylinder 10' dia by 24' tall (need to surf around for the graphics - Atlas logo, mission logo, flag); upper cone 10' and 5' dia by 3' tall; payload adapter cylinder 5' dia by 2.5' tall (will have to make sure the bottom of the LCROSS cylinder will slip inside); LCROSS main body cylinder 5' dia by 8' tall - central 4' section marked off with graphics for actual payload; six panels - solar array 4' square, instrument mounting panels 3' wide by 2' tall, panels stand off 1' from central cylinder - thinking about how robust to make the model brackets (cut out struts or panels with printed struts); instrument details from picture (will eyeball the boxes & etc. as I draw), need to relook the LCROSS cylinder as the payload appears to be just the central 2' of the cylinder, not 4', could be some transition pieces looking at the pictures - TBD; then ensure the top will slip fit into the bottom of the NASA model. Almost time to start drawing.

I usually use the photos to modify the 3-D details on these models as well.

Yogi

Lro-359931main_lcross_ssc_petal_up_labels.jpg

Lro-359929main_lcross_ssc_petal_labels.jpg

Lro-lro-print1-bg-sm.jpg

Lro-lro-print2-bg-sm.jpg

Lro-lro-print3-bg-sm.jpg
Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.01 GB
Would someone be kind enough to post a link to the model's source? I haven't seen it, and "LRO" seems to be too short of a search term to work here.

Edit: Never mind.
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/index....vailable!.html
Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Eternal Member

. Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter .

Usually they post these at the mission site. Start with NASA main, find the missions index page, select mission, then look on the NASA page for the link to the mission team (Goddard, JPL, various Universities and Labs). If there's a model it's usually posted on the education/outreach tab. I've found a lot with Google - but lots of chaff to sort through.

Yogi
Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
See, I couldn't figure out why they left LCROSS out of the model. I mean, what's greater for public relations than orbiting the moon?
Why, crashing into it, of course! :D

If needed:
Attached Thumbnails
Lro-lro-stowed.jpg   Lro-lro-deployed.jpg  
Old 06-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Eternal Member

The rest of the [mission] ...

D-S, jp,
Still working on the LCROSS stack. It's drawn up but still needs a few graphics tweaks and some more obvious 3-D adds. I now know why they probably didn't do an LCROSS model, six panels on four sets of support struts each with an average of three "thingies" on the back of each panel. Sometimes I wonder why I'm working at 1:48 instead of larger (oh yeah, inertia 'cause I started on the satellite series at 1:48 with Ton's Pioneer 10).
Currently on break (caffeinating) from that build. So far: fuel tank, LCROSS can (bus), three panels.

Lro-p6280454.jpg

Lro-p6280456.jpg

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
I'm working on a 1:72 Atlas V that will include a Centaur upper stage for anyone interested in doing the LCROSS. I was planning on doing the LRO/LCROSS rocket anyways, so all you have to do is add the LCROSS and LRO payloads. I may also release the Centaur in 1:48 if there's interest in it.

[email protected]
Old 06-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
You going to get tired holding it in low orbit like that
Nice Job!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Eternal Member

Dyna-Soar, jparenti, APA-168,
Dropped the simple LCROSS stack to the real space download section. Let me know what you think.
Yogi
Old 06-29-2009, 11:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
All right! Can't wait to get it downloaded and get started. (Must wait for it to be approved first by the moderators, I think...)