PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-02-2017, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear!

I was saying that either of the old Glenco space stations would make good paper models, it the curves could be managed.
Ah, yes. Sorry.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
There are some designs that don't translate well to card. I think the Glencoe Disney space station -- there's only one I'm aware of -- falls into that category.

I've built the Glencoe station. I can't imagine how you'd get the smooth curve of the outer ring in paper. Also, there are myriad pipes/struts/whatever between the outer ring and the core. The finished product resembles a bicycle wheel if done properly -- which I hope I did!

Looking forward to getting the full Von Braun/Collier's ferry rocket when it's available!

Les (The Voice of Authority)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
There are some designs that don't translate well to card. I think the Glencoe Disney space station -- there's only one I'm aware of -- falls into that category.

I've built the Glencoe station. I can't imagine how you'd get the smooth curve of the outer ring in paper. Also, there are myriad pipes/struts/whatever between the outer ring and the core. The finished product resembles a bicycle wheel if done properly -- which I hope I did!

Looking forward to getting the full Von Braun/Collier's ferry rocket when it's available!

Les (The Voice of Authority)

You're probably right. The same's probably true for the Observation satellite kit too.

Since this thread started me thinking about these kits again, I found some box pics; one showing a possible first stage version, or shuttle, of the kit that is being designed and shared here:
Attached Thumbnails
-glm05911_285.jpg   -glencoeboxartlarger.jpg  
Old 03-03-2017, 12:37 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Here it is....

Just for the curious, here's the box art that I was remembering for the ferry rocket; just so everyone can see how good this paper version is when compared with the old Glencoe Kit.

That shuttle, booster rocket curve is going to be a challenge for you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
-glencoe-05908-ferry-r.jpg  
Old 03-03-2017, 01:07 AM

But that version is very similar to the Disney version. Look how the 'shuttle' is resting on a thin 'neck'. The Von Braun / Collier / Bonestell ferry rocket has a much broader transition between spaceship and rocket, so the whole of the rocket looks more like a slightly curved cone.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 212.38 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
But that version is very similar to the Disney version. Look how the 'shuttle' is resting on a thin 'neck'. The Von Braun / Collier / Bonestell ferry rocket has a much broader transition between spaceship and rocket, so the whole of the rocket looks more like a slightly curved cone.
Yes, the Disney version is what I based my full stack on. You can get it in the download section here. Basically a 4-stage system.

Mike
Old 03-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Would be nice to pose them side by side as a desktop model. Made in superglossy paper like those wooden airliner models.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Would be nice to pose them side by side as a desktop model. Made in superglossy paper like those wooden airliner models.

That would be cool.

I really want to thank you for your build thread. Its been a real walk down memory lane and enjoyable to see kits from Glencoe that I use to love. There was something romantic in those old designs. Your kit will give me a chance to build one of those again.

I need to note as well that your stand was awesome and very reminiscent of the one on the box work of some of those kits.

There was also a retriever rocket that had a cool feature, as I recall. It had a one man "worked" that dropped out of the bottom. A real clever feature!

Again, the addition of the little figures really sets this paper kit off.

Regards,
Old 03-04-2017, 12:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 212.38 MB
PK, sorry to hijack your thread, but I just realized that I never uploaded the booster sections of the stack. That has been rectified now and finally available is the first two stages in 1/72nd scale as well as the COMPLETE 4-stage stack in 1/144th scale to stand next to the Saturn V for scale comparison.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Mike
Old 03-06-2017, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
THE DC and Paper Kosmonaut thanks for the kind comments and very interesting debate about the two versions of this early project of a shuttle.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
That would be cool.

I really want to thank you for your build thread. [---]

I need to note as well that your stand was awesome and very reminiscent of the one on the box work of some of those kits.

[…]

Again, the addition of the little figures really sets this paper kit off. Regards,
The DC, perhaps you overlooked, but the model, the thread and the idea of small figures is mine and not of PK, unless you relate to some of his model that I do not know.

This without detracting from the skill of PK, whose models I have always enjoyed in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhvink View Post
PK, sorry to hijack your thread, but I just realized that I never uploaded the booster sections of the stack. That has been rectified now and finally available is the first two stages in 1/72nd scale as well as the COMPLETE 4-stage stack in 1/144th scale to stand next to the Saturn V for scale comparison.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Mike
Again, this thread is about my model ( not PK ).

mhvink , It’s funny, but if you had uploaded your complete model, maybe I would not have started this project, but I would be limited to build your.

And now back to the build.
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Google Adsense