PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.91 GB
Saturn SA-5 question?

I'm getting ready to build this model. Has anyone built this Saturn and what is the scale? Any tip?
Attached Thumbnails
Saturn SA-5 question?-sa5.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2017, 02:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Well, that looks like the SA-5 designed by Chris Davis, available at Jon Leslie's site.
What can I tell you? it is a very well designed and detailed kit, has a good fit and looks the part.

The thing I did some research in was the blast holes in the interstage, at first it seemed a little odd they all were uncovered but it actually was the case with this single launch. All other launches had them covered with some kind of white cloth.
In the kit it is represented by a piece with black surfaces on it but of course you can cut them out. This way you can actually look in and see the 2nd stage engines. But you'll be left with a part with quite delicate segments, since below the 'arches' of the blast holes is a ring which slides into the tapered top of the first stage and there isn't much for the ring to stay connected to the upper part. I reinforced the interstage with heavy white card from the inside to give these arches a sturdier base. It requires some extra pressure when cutting but the result is, well, sturdier.
For the rest it is quite straightforward.

You might want to roll the first stage fuel tanks round some long straight dowel or big-size knitting needle. Roll them up a little tighter than necessary and then unroll them again. Now they are easier to glue in their cylindrical shape. Use the knitting needle to smooth the seam.

Well, I hope I've helped. This is my all-time favourite rocket. I have made it two times now and I know I am going to make it again some day. Have fun with it!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 AM

Thanks, Paper Kosmonaut sounds like a good kit. I really need to know the scale. I hope it is 1/96 scale and not 1/72 scale.

Once again thanks for the tips.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
It is 1/96th, as far as I know.
(If not, you can always reduce it in size when printing. Just print a 1/72 model at 75% and you are good to go in 96.)

Here is a fantastic scale converting table for future reference.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 PM

Thanks, Paper Kosmonaut for your help. I hope to do this one and an SA-6 in 1/100 scale to convert for model rocket flight.
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.75 MB
I have that one sitting next to me right now, as the next model I am making once I finish my current Titan IIIc.

I was quite confused when I saw the PDF having dimensions over 30 inches per side. When printed on 8.5x11 (Not borderless) it measures out to equivalent to 1/96. If not exact, close enough.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 419.23 MB
Smile

Don't forget the flames!
Attached Thumbnails
Saturn SA-5 question?-saturn1b-1.jpg