PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-23-2017, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
I'm not dead yet...

I thought an update might be in order since its been so long. I have gone through a couple prototypes already. You don't appreciate how big the TDRS is until you start to assemble the thing. I'm going to keep with the 1/25 scale, but wow.

Another issue cropped up during the first prototype. After working so hard to design the Single Access Array, I screwed up the heights.

Don't ya just wish that it hadn't taken 7 hours to lay out all of the line work? And that doesn't get much easier when you have to redo it all for the correct dimensions. Oh well, better right than abandoned.

I tried very hard to print this on transparency paper. I tried a couple different printers and spent TOO much on the paper and finally just gave up on that. Maybe someone has a secret method, I'm not designing a reverse side for that reason. I'll be happy.

Meanwhile the bus is coming together. I'm going to include a "pass-through" structure that is maintaining the lateral rigidity and allowing a way to insert and support both the solar arrays and the single access arrays. I have to say, I'm worried about it holding up. The display will either need to be supported vertically by the arrays or by a three point base thing.

At the moment, I'm busy building up the OMNI directional antennas and realizing I didn't mark up the sun sensors on the arrays. I'm going to be a little bit cheaty and leaning heavily on shaped paper lollypop sticks for the majority of struts and the RCS motor nozzles. Man I love working with this material.

More to come soon ...
Old 05-25-2017, 10:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
"I'm not dead yet..."

Nor am I ... but I missed this post ... and I blame both those facts on the modern equivalents of bleeding and leeches.

"Maybe someone has a secret method, I'm not designing a reverse side for that reason."

Still working on that but slowly ... the same excuse ... and it won't be secret if it works.

"More to come soon ..."

Hopefully, more to come eventually ...

Really impressed by your work.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 398.46 MB
This is going to be a BIG model and its looking fantastic Scot!

I had some luck printing the dish antennas on transparency when I darken
the colors on the dishes. An example is my HALCA model that can be found on my website.
Hopefully this helps.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:29 PM

Ghaspacer, how did I miss asking you for a link to you page? Wherever my bookmark is for you it's MIA. Yes, my favorites tab is like a woodshed - thing wanted , ever buried.

Took me a week of trial and error, but this weekend this finally happened.

Next, the solar arrays and the bases. Then fine tuning the documtation of the instructions. I might be the launch yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Build your own TDRS Model-img_3684.jpg   Build your own TDRS Model-image.jpg  
Old 06-11-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreinmann View Post
Ghaspacer, how did I miss asking you for a link to you page? Wherever my bookmark is for you it's MIA. Yes, my favorites tab is like a woodshed - thing wanted , ever buried.

Took me a week of trial and error, but this weekend this finally happened.

Next, the solar arrays and the bases. Then fine tuning the documtation of the instructions. I might be the launch yet.
WOW! that looks incredible. I can't wait to add this to my collection.
My website is zpdmodels.com.
I recently updated it, now with 93 models - more to come.

Zach
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
An impressive model thus far. Now that it's all coming together it really does look good. Looking forward to the grand finale. Should be a great one!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 AM

Okay, done with second guessing the design and finessing the instructions. Presented (and currently under review) TDRS K, L, & M 3rd Generation Satellites in 1:25th scale. Certainly this is my most complicated design, but not beyond the realm and capability of most paper modelers. I think I'm not unusual in feeling that there are areas I should have done better. But I hope you'll enjoy it and find building it enjoyable an interesting. Please let me know what you think.

These are pictures of my completed prototype. The completed model is different in the color of some parts, but overall, if you follow all the optional assemblies, here's what you get.

Oh yeah, if I didn't indicate before, this is big.
Attached Thumbnails
Build your own TDRS Model-dvtl.jpg   Build your own TDRS Model-83r8ipq.jpg   Build your own TDRS Model-r9fe7cs.jpg   Build your own TDRS Model-vkixcnn.jpg  
Old 07-04-2017, 02:23 PM

Looks very impressive! can't wait to build and add to my collection.
Having a complicated model to design and build is part of the fun
(and sometimes frustrating) times we paper modelers have.

Speaking of which, I just finished designing a model of the
ADM-Aeolus satellite.

Zach
Old 04-19-2019, 08:07 AM

Disappointingly, I seem to have lost my final version of this file. And it is missing from the Downloads page. I'm hoping someone who downloaded the PDF can private message me with a copy. I have the parts files still saved, but I'm missing most of the instructions and a few tweaked parts. :(
Old 04-20-2019, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
I have a copy if you need it

Let me know...

Bob
Google Adsense