PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-22-2017, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
I walked out under our maple tree and looked at all the little crescents on the ground. We were at about 80% yesterday but we're smack on the line for 2024. Still, it's amusing to see everything with that slight green shift!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabeer View Post
I drove to Sweetwater, TN to see the eclipse
Not too far north from me in Cleveland

On topic... What weight cardstock are you using? I'm wanting to do a 1:144 scale Saturn V, and I don't want it to be too heavy card to be unmanageable, but just paper would be too flimsy. I've built up some peices with just two sheets of paper laminated together, it seems to work ok so far.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Watch out for the J-2 engines at 1:144. I'm sure it's doable, but there's a lot of VERY small parts, especially at that scale. I used 28-lb paper for the bell and larger parts at 1:100, and 20-lb paper for the smaller details, and thought it was plenty strong. For the F-1s I might consider 32-lb paper, if not 60-lb, for the bells.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 09-09-2017, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Well, it's been a few days. . . I found some faux pearls that looked (to my eye) the perfect diameter for the J-2 start tanks and probably also good for the third stage helium tanks around the thrust structure.

The second stage has not been going very well. It started out in what seemed excellent fashion with the outer thrust structure, but as I put on more skins on I continued to have issues with the paper absorbing moisture from the glue and trying to line up each cylinder section. Then, on the upper tank skin quarter I failed to completely cut one part out, adding an extra 3/4" to the tank diameter. By the time I realized it the glue was pretty well set. I'm not at all happy with my attempt at repair either, making a huge distortion in the skin. To make matters worse, as I put in the bulkheads, the lower tank skin developed a ripple that I'm sure is from my "repair".

I decided I'd work on the thrust structure, mostly because I wanted to get some of the engines off my desk. And, I don't want to crap on someone elses work, I know I'm working off of somebodies free labor here and they've put in effort that I haven't, *but* the instructions are a little lacking. I know the construction method is basically the same as the first stage, but the second stage illustrations seem to be more of a suggestion, showing too many parts in some places, and in my eye, to few in others. I've really had a heck of a time trying to figure out the how and wheres, and I found that I've mis-aligned the skins. Maybe I missed it, but how the stages align could be better explained. Anyhow, I got the thrust structure assembled and glued the engines on. I debated with myself how much detail to add, and put on a few straws for the fuel and O2 lines.

Overall, I don't think it looks too bad. This wasn't going to go to any competitions, after all. At this point though, I'm feeling like this is the first time I've ever built a paper model. . .

Finally, as I was taking some pictures, I found that I can't actually stack the rocket. The first stage tank dome is touches the second stage engines. I don't know if this my fault building the tank dome, it appears to be by just an eighth of an inch. It might fixable but I don't think I'll bother as it never was meant to be displayed stacked. Still disappointing though.

Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3400.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3401.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3402.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3403.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Mechanic, it is not you. I had the same issue when I built my 1/48 Saturn 5. The way I handled it was kind of cheating but it worked. I had not yet glued the dome of the first stage tank in place so when I stack the model I simply turn the dome over and it forms a sort of bowl and the second stage fits in place. When I want to show it un-stacked I turn the dome back over and put it back upright. Many times I have thought of rebuilding the Saturn 5 to correct all the minor flaws that I discovered after building but, as the saying goes, to many models to little time. Your rocket looks great, excellent job!
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2017, 02:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Good to know about the dome issue. The build is going nicely, though. Looking good!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Just for the sake of argument, I might recommend this.Shim the S-II thrust structure another 1/4th inch inside the outer skin to eliminate the J2's touching the upper tank of the S1-C. With that said, it should eliminate the stacking issue. At least no harm in trying.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:38 PM

Thanks guys; eagleclaw, I might play with that and give it a shot. I did manage to stack it but it is a bit wobbly.
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3404.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 09-27-2017, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 61.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
. I see you have used my recolours of Greelt's engine parts
Where can i find the engine recolours?
Thanks
RH
Old 09-27-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
Where can i find the engine recolours?
Thanks
RH
The recolors are included in the latest download version of the 1/48 Saturn V from jleslie48's site, The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop, under Apollo Era model. It's near the bottom of the page. A really great website if you haven't been been there yet!

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense