PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
The recolors are included in the latest download version of the 1/48 Saturn V from jleslie48's site, The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop, under Apollo Era model. It's near the bottom of the page. A really great website if you haven't been been there yet!
Thanks, downloaded already, just need to check if latest version!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
I finally printed out the fifth fuel line fairing that goes on the bottom end of the second stage (there are only four on the printout sheets). I also did a little surgery to flatten out the first stage dome a couple of millimeters so that the second stage properly stacks. As I mentioned on Algebraist's build, did some reprinting in order to get a proper fitting second-to-third interstage. Some of the warts, i.e. wrinkles, really showing on the second stage in these pics. Oh well. Standing at 5' 1" she still feels pretty impressive.

The next big trick is deciding on where to go from here. The third stage in the the printout group leaves even more to be desired than the second stage did as far as lack of detail and lack of instructions. I have the third stage stack from Apolonia's Apollo 8, but talk about a lack of instruction (unless you can read Japanese, anyway). Also concerned that the "style" difference from Greelt's work would look odd.
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3457.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3458.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3459.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3460.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3461.jpg  

Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Mechanic; 02-06-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Looking impressive and glad to see it is coming along. It will be great when it is complete.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Looking good!
Old 02-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Just a 'little' side-project, my wife printed out a just-over 1/14 CM for me. It completely filled the print bed and took just over 82 hours. I don't think I'll do anything with it, though it could be fun to finish it someday. It's kind of fun just to hold a capsule model that big.
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3462.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3463.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 02-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Looks like your going to be busy for awhile. Your Saturn is really taking shape.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Fantastic.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene1772 View Post
Mechanic, it is not you. I had the same issue when I built my 1/48 Saturn 5. The way I handled it was kind of cheating but it worked. I had not yet glued the dome of the first stage tank in place so when I stack the model I simply turn the dome over and it forms a sort of bowl and the second stage fits in place. When I want to show it un-stacked I turn the dome back over and put it back upright. Many times I have thought of rebuilding the Saturn 5 to correct all the minor flaws that I discovered after building but, as the saying goes, to many models to little time. Your rocket looks great, excellent job!
Thank you for the heads-up Gene, that's good to know. I'm building the Interstage and when I get to the S-I, I will recess the thrust structure a bit to ensure that the system will stack. You think and extra 1/4 inch will be enough?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
Thank you for the heads-up Gene, that's good to know. I'm building the Interstage and when I get to the S-I, I will recess the thrust structure a bit to ensure that the system will stack. You think and extra 1/4 inch will be enough?
I would think that's plenty

Isaac Asimov
Old 02-10-2018, 07:08 PM

So I decided to stay with the third stage that's in the download, the change in artwork with the Apollonia I think would be much. Thanks to a couple of previous mistakes I've given up on accurate detail orientation between/on the stages. Third stage has two primary issues: engine to thrust structure and thrust structure to external details, so I'm just fitting them in so they "look" ok to me.

I've got the main parts of the thrust structure done, just trying to figure out what else detail-wise I want to fit on in order to mount the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3464.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3465.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense