PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Formers for the 1/48 version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
I have decided that for the 1/24 version one critical bit will be the ability to cut out large perfect circle formers (possibly 220mm radius) through thick card.
I don't have a circle cutter. I made formers for the 1/48 version by printing extra copies of the bottom plate of the thrust structure (2 parts 8 on pages 1 & 2). I joined the two halves (cardstock), then glued them to heavy card and cut them out. They are a little too big for internal formers but the line of printed "rivets" around the perimeter make it easy to trim the edges uniformly with scissors. So far, for the thrust structure and first stage, that has worked well.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Enlarging PDFs

Quote:
The process I am using to enlarge the 1/48 model to 1/24 is as follows. . . A better way would be to take the 1/48 scale pdf and take A5 sized regions and print them directly to the printer at 200% onto A3. Unfortunately I do not know how to do this.
If you're using Adobe Reader, on EDIT dropdown menu click on, "Take a Snapshot," and highlight the area you want to print. Then on the PRINT screen, under "Pages to Print," choose "Selected Graphic" -- it will probably choose this for you. Then you can print that selection at whatever % you choose.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Impressive...

Quote:

Attachment 337458 Attachment 337459

As you can see its getting tricky to get it all in shot!
These part are not glued, they are just resting so now I can get the outer fairings lined up. All I have to do now is think of the best way to actually glue these on.

It is starting to sink in this is going to be quite a big model and there are going to be some "logistical" challenges ahead.

That's really looking awesome!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker View Post
The plans for recovery of the S-IC....

Later! OL J R
What a fascinating and detailed post (I have only quoted the first tiny bit). Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write it. I learnt such a lot. Got to ask, what do you recommend to read to find out more about Apollo and space flight in general?
Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
I don't have a circle cutter. I made formers for the 1/48 version by printing extra copies of the bottom plate of the thrust structure (2 parts 8 on pages 1 & 2). I joined the two halves (cardstock), then glued them to heavy card and cut them out. They are a little too big for internal formers but the line of printed "rivets" around the perimeter make it easy to trim the edges uniformly with scissors. So far, for the thrust structure and first stage, that has worked well.
Great tip, thanks for sharing
Google Adsense
Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seascape View Post
Don't know where I've been but just noticed this. This is a monster at 1:24. Is the house big enough for the finished model?

Great work so far!

Fred
Dear Fred

Thanks for the encouragement.

I dunno if the house is big enough. It's going to be a tight fit!

As for where you have been, I hope you don't mind me saying, but you've been building a terrific model of a suit of armor that looks to be made of metal. You can see it on this thread

16th century suit of armor

Kevin
Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DC View Post
That's really looking awesome!
Dear DC

Thanks for the nice comment

Kevin
Old 02-12-2018, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Books To Check Out

Quote:
What a fascinating and detailed post (I have only quoted the first tiny bit). Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write it. I learnt such a lot. Got to ask, what do you recommend to read to find out more about Apollo and space flight in general?
Men From Earth by Buzz Aldrin
Lost Moon The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (think it has been changed to just Apollo 13)
Carrying the Fire by Michael Collins

Just a few to start with.

Mike
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM

1/48 stage two (part one)

Dear all

DC has the following at the bottom of their posts

"One does not plow a field by turning it over in his mind..."

Well that was exactly what I was doing for some time over the stage 2 to interstage join. I have to admit that despite looking at it loads I just cannot see how all the bits go together. So I have bitten the bullet and done what I can by making a few alterations. So here is what I did

First for parts 36,37,38 and 39 draw an arc 16mm in from the long curved side of each part (see an earlier post to see how to do this). Then cut out full original parts but adding on an extra 5mm on short curved side of each part. Use the 16mm band at the long curved side to cut joining tabs and cut joining tabs from the extra 5mm on the short curved side. Finally cut out the two holes indicated on part 37. The first photo shows the parts at different stages of being cut out and the second photo shows them all fully cut out and arranged in how they will be glued together

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12091.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12093.jpg

Using the joining tabs on the sheet that has parts 38 and 39 on join 36,37,38,39 to form a truncated cone in the order shown. (You will have to shorten the length of the joining tabs by 16mm) See photo below

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12094.jpg

Next cut round the outer edge of part 48 (I used scissors) to get a disc. Find the centre of this disc and draw a circle of radius 43mm

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12099.jpg

Aside: I am sure everyone knows some method to find the centre of a circle but just in case here is one method (sometimes mistakenly stated as Thales Theorem, actually it is a double use of the converse to Thales Theorem). So take any right angle (like a set square or just the corner of a properly cut bit of paper) and put the point of the right angle anywhere on the circumference of the circle. Mark the two places where the straight edges of the right angle cross the circumference. (see first photo below, scalpel points to point of right angle and pencils point to crossing points). Join the two crossing points. This line WILL be a diameter (see second photo below). Now put the point of the right angle on another place on the circumference of the circle and repeat the procedure. (Actually about a quarter of the way round the circle is a good region). See photos third and fourth photos below). Where the two diameters cross is the centre of the circle.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12095.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12096.jpg

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12097.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12098.jpg

Now cut out the inner most circle of part 48 and then cut the white ring into joining tabs (see photo below). Then cut out of 2mm grey card a former with outside diameter of 110mm and inside diameter of 95mm. This should give a former of the same size as the grey printed part of part 48 (see photo below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12101.jpg

Glue the former to the inside of the truncated cone (see first photo below) and then glue part 48 on the outside of the truncated cone (its tabs will fold "inside" the hole) see second photo below.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12102.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12103.jpg

Next glue the tabs to the edge of the former but leave them sticking down (do not curl them underneath). Photos show inside and outside view.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12104.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12105.jpg

Next cut out parts 47 but leave an extra 10mm of white card down one long side of each strip. Cut the white card into joining tabs (see photo below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12106.jpg

Now glue the two strips around the inside edge of the hole. You don't have to get the join perfect since it will be hidden if you start a strip where two of the cone pieces join. See inside and outside view photos below

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12109.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12110.jpg

Continued on my next post
Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 AM

1/48 stage two (part two)

Dear all

So carrying on from my previous post

Now cut out a 93mm diameter circle from something like 250 gsm paper. It should fit exactly into the hole and then glue the tabs from the strips to hold it in place (so the tabs are on the inside (see next three photos below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12111.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12113.jpg
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12114.jpg

Now cut out from 2mm thick grey card a 96mm diameter circle and glue this underneath the "well" you have just made (see photo below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12116.jpg

Next step is to cut out a former with outside diameter of 195mm and then a 120 mm diameter hole in it. Glue ths to the bottom of the truncated cone as shown in photos below

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12117.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12118.jpg

Now cut out parts 40,41,42,43 and 44 (x2) and assemble them (see first and second photo below). Then glue these parts to the cone. NOTE: parts 42 and 43 need to go on the area of the cone marked for 40 and part 40 needs to go on the area of the cone marked for 42 and 43. See third photo below

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12120.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12122.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12123.jpg

Next draw a circle of diameter 93mm on part 45 (this will just enclose the white cross) and cut out round this circle (so yes you are cutting off part of part 45 (see first photo below). Cut out parts 49 and 50 and then glue them together (see second and third photos below) and then glue onto part 45 (see fourth photo below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12112.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12108.jpg

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12115.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12121.jpg

Now glue this inside the "well". Ensure that the cross beams line up with the seams of the cone. See photo below

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12124.jpg

We now need to start the base skirt so cut out part 1 (x4) and join with part 6 (x4). Once this is done make some card "inner skins" to go between the parts 6 (so the whole ring is then two layers thick (see photos below). Note the line is 16mm from the to but is not essential, just a guide for later.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12002.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12042.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12043.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12044.jpg

Continued in my next post
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v