PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
Thanks for the link.
Sorry but what does "Or go to the source!0-8" mean? (apols for not understanding)

Kevin
Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
He means go to NASA(the source)

and 0-8 is a smiley/emoji with glasses and an open mouth
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene1772 View Post
Algebraist, thanks for the detailed fix to the J-2 problem. Also appreciate you documenting it so well. Great build.
Hi gene1772

Thanks for the comments on the build

Happy to document things. I hope it will encourage others to have a go at this model. It seems the least to do given the designers gave it to everyone for free. They were very generous.

Kevin
Old 02-15-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
He means go to NASA(the source)

and 0-8 is a smiley/emoji with glasses and an open mouth
Hi rickstef

Thanks for explaining
I'm not very techie. Only just got a phone without buttons. Added an appropriate signature.

Kevin
Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Prologue: Men From Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Hi Mike

Thanks for that. Think I will go for Buzz's first.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,
Here is part of the Prologue for Men From Earth;
LUNAR MODULE EAGLE
JULY 20, 1969

As the spacecraft flew backward, Neil and I watched the green digits blink on the small computer screen. We arched westward along the equator of the moon. Through the triangular windows of the lunar module, we could see a chaotic map of endless gray craters.

Prologue continues on to finish with the landing, Final sentence: "Houston," Neil called, "Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Kevin,
LUNAR MODULE EAGLE
JULY 20, 1969

As the spacecraft flew backward, Neil and I watched the green digits blink on the small computer screen. We arched westward along the equator of the moon. Through the triangular windows of the lunar module, we could see a chaotic map of endless gray craters.

Prologue continues on to finish with the landing, Final sentence: "Houston," Neil called, "Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Cheers for that Mike. Looking forward to it

Kevin
Old 02-16-2018, 03:16 AM

1/24 outer fairings thrust structure

Dear all

I have been trying to but the outer skin of the fairings onto the thrust structure. However I have hit a snag in that try as I might I do not think I can do a decent job unless I can turn the model upside down. This means that I fist need to attach the USA ring to the thrust structure and ensure that it wont collapse.

However I have discovered that because the model is so big, if I join the USA ring to the thrust structure before adding all the final formers and supports to the inside of the thrust structure ring, the USA ring is so deep that my arms are way too short to be able to get inside the thrust structure ring in order to glue anything.

So I have to (essentially) finish off each ring of the rocket (well at least the first three for sure) before attaching the next ring.

So a hold up has been that I thought I had figured out how to do all the internal structure, but then I realised I had overlooked something and my method would have certainly failed.

My main worry is when the rocket is on its side.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-img_20180216_080441.jpg

I am going to use two layers of double walled corrugated cardboard glued together to make the formers and then a number of layers of the same cardboard to make the struts. The diagram shows my latest layout idea with the rocket in horizontal position. Along the upper edge the rocket is trying to push all the card together (as shown by the arrows) whereas on the lower edge the opposite is trying to happen (again shown by the arrows.

There is also the situation of when the rocket is standing vertical, in which case the rocket is trying to push all the card together. And also the case where the rocket is being "picked up" by someone, in which case the formers and struts are trying to be pushed towards the centre of the rocket.

So I have made various strut and former sections

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12142.jpg

And then done a variety of "stress tests" of very low tech methods. For example lots of different weights like below

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12143.jpg

I have found that double and triple walled corrugated cardboard has a strong face and a weaker face. So it makes a difference which faces you glue together when making composite struts. I have settled on double layered formers with direction of corrugations running at right angles to each other.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12145.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12146.jpg

Where necessary a central support made from inner tube of "parcel tape".

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12144.jpg

And for the struts I am going to use (I think) three layers with both outer layers having corrugations running vertically and the inner layer having corrugations running horizontally. I am experimenting with a strut every quarter of a circle plus another two within each quarter of a circle. I am pretty sure this will work except for the question of, when the rocket is in horizontal position, will each of the formers compress (along the upper edge) a little bit and that will wrinkle the rocket and then it will collapse in a "vee" shape or even suddenly rip apart.

I am not sure but I have to just make a decision and get on with it!
Old 02-16-2018, 03:25 AM

Correction to measurement of 1/48 stage two alteration

Quote:
Dear all

continuing on

Next cut out part 2 (x4) but add on 20mm of white card along one long side of each part and glue to the lower part of the ring (see photos below). These replace part 4 (x4) and 5 (x4).

Attachment 338117 Attachment 338118
Dear all in the above quoted post it should be "add on 10mm of white card" (not 20mm as stated). Also these parts do not replace part 4 (x4) and 5 (x4). These parts are replaced by the "inner skins" (which was the last step in the post prior to the one quoted above. I have quoted the relevant bit from that post below)

Quote:

We now need to start the base skirt so cut out part 1 (x4) and join with part 6 (x4). Once this is done make some card "inner skins" to go between the parts 6 (so the whole ring is then two layers thick (see photos below). Note the line is 16mm from the to but is not essential, just a guide for later.

Attachment 338113 Attachment 338114 Attachment 338115 Attachment 338116
Sorry for the error.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Kevin,
LUNAR MODULE EAGLE
JULY 20, 1969

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Neil's line (one small step...) is of course the one that gets all the attention, but in my opinion it was Aldrin that said it best. Neil said "Magnificent sight out here." followed by "Magnificent desolation." from Aldrin. Those two words make it possible for me to understand what it was truly like to look at that view. What it was like to be an Earth creature standing on another world.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
Neil's line (one small step...) is of course the one that gets all the attention, but in my opinion it was Aldrin that said it best. Neil said "Magnificent sight out here." followed by "Magnificent desolation." from Aldrin. Those two words make it possible for me to understand what it was truly like to look at that view. What it was like to be an Earth creature standing on another world.
Hi Becky

I agree.

I find if you are standing amongst some big mountains above the tree line so it is just rock an there is only you as far as you can see, no matter where you look, it is just a magnificent sight and feeling. The vastness of the view is awe-inspiring. But I also find it is an ominous feeling too, that hugeness of the surroundings and the fact you are far away from any other person.

I imagine going to either the north or south pole is like that only more so. I may be wrong because I used to thing climbing Mt Everest would be like that until I saw pictures of what it is like in reality (these are from National Geographic)

However back to the moon which certain wasn't crowded. One of my favourite views of the landings is when they are driving back to the LM and all you can see is that vast, eerily motionless, beautiful lunar landscape. Then coming into view is this alien little structure, tiny but instantly noticeable since it clearly from a different world. Out of everything you can see, wonderful though it looks, there is nothing else living out there and that "little tin box" is the only thing that can keep you alive. It is the only safe place on the entire moon! It must have been an incredible experience.

I am sure words cannot really describe how the moon walkers really felt but Buzz's "Magnificent Desolation" is probably as close to evoking it as we can get.

Kevin

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v