PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-23-2018, 03:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I remember that paryicular card album ! Just seeing its cover brings back memories. My grandmother supplied me with the cards in the tea boxes. Probably got me into collecting (hoarding) things.
By the way, loving the Saturn V build - brave.👨*🚀👨*🚀👨*🚀
Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Hello everyone. I think things are getting a little mixed up so just want to clarify. The version of the Saturn V I am building was download for the Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model site. They are all pdf's and are broken down section by section (thrust structure, stage one, interstage etc) along with a pdf of instructions for each section. All the pages for each section are sequentially marked and have the "tinkered with by legal01" logo on them along with the designers copyright. I have just checked the site again and they are still as described. I was looking at the download models section, real space, Apollo era, the penultimate model on the page.
Now I'm really confused? When I go to Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model site in the Apollo section, The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop - Photo Gallery - Apollo Spacecraft
the only 1:48 scale models I find are:
http://papermodelingman.com/s1_96ok.zip
http://papermodelingman.com/031204_sat48/s2_96.zip
I do see the 3rd stage pdf file but the only stage 1-2 files I see are zip files with jpgs?

Obviously I'm looking in the wrong place?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
Now I'm really confused? When I go to Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model site in the Apollo section, The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop - Photo Gallery - Apollo Spacecraft
the only 1:48 scale models I find are:
http://papermodelingman.com/s1_96ok.zip
http://papermodelingman.com/031204_sat48/s2_96.zip
I do see the 3rd stage pdf file but the only stage 1-2 files I see are zip files with jpgs?

Obviously I'm looking in the wrong place?
Hi John

You are on the correct page of Lower Hudson Valley but are looking at the wrong model. Keep scrolling down the page until you get to the bottom. The model you want is not the last model but the one before that

Kevin
Old 02-26-2018, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Hi John

You are on the correct page of Lower Hudson Valley but are looking at the wrong model. Keep scrolling down the page until you get to the bottom. The model you want is not the last model but the one before that

Kevin
Thank you! I found it. I thought they were in order and when I saw the models going back to earlier Saturns and pre-saturns I thought that was it.

Not that I can get away with building a 7 and a half foot Saturn V. Never mind a 15 Ft one!

But thank you for straightening me out. I'm sorry I caused so much confusion!

Cheers,

John Gay
Old 03-05-2018, 10:44 AM

Hi John

No problem. Glad you raised it question, otherwise I would not have learnt about all the extra bits that have been added to improve (in particular) stage 2 of the model.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
Interesting! I've been planning to do just the opposite of what you've been up to and that list will come in handy. And by opposite I mean using Greelt's and Ton's parts but scaled back to 1:96.
Looking forward to seeing this.

By the way in another thread (sorry but I can't track it down again) you posted a picture on your many rockets stacked in the corner of a room. (The person was asking about the colour of a tank and one of your rockets was the correct colour). I was just wondered if you have any photos of your rockets nicely lined up?

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM

1/24 F-1 engine fairings on thrust structure

Dear all

Well finally a manic time at work has passed and I have been able to spend some time on the models.

Having put some inner structure into the thrust structure (as described previously) I found that I needed to change my planned order of construction). I now need to get all the base of the thrust structure finished (except umbilical tunnels) before adding another ring on. And I need to add the ring before putting all the reminder of the internal strengthening struts.

So first was assembling the outer fairings (which are two parts in the 1/24 model since they are so big). Then I rolled them which was tricky since no rolling bar or rolling mat was big enough. In the end I used my arm and hand along with a rolling pin

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12084.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12085.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12180.jpg

As you can see they curved nicely.

Next I turned the thrust structure upside down. Most of USA ring is 2 layers thick. I really did not know if such a big volume would be able to support itself with no additional internal structure. As I discovered 2 layers is quite strong (which is giving me optimism for the final rocket being 3 layers). For the record 1 layer is way too flimsy).

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12166.jpg

I considered a few different ways of gluing the outer fairings and had some dry runs. Most were utter failures. I wanted the black and white joins to be spot on with the main part of stage 1 but also the bottom of the inner and outer fairings had to match. I was finding this difficult. In the end the only way I could come up with was to do the following.

First I pegged the outer fairing onto the inner fairing

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12168.jpg

Then once everything was lined up, I released just over half of the right hand side (since I am right handed)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12169.jpg

I then applied glue to this half. You need a good bond running vertically down the centre (but not quite all the way to the bottom ie pointy end) and then do not glue right to the side edge (about up to 1cm is good). You need a good join at the non pointy end. Also I pegged that edge as I went along.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12170.jpg

In order to get some pressure between the inner and outer fairing I made a hand sized section of wall from off cuts of the outside of formers and "found" a 36cm/14 in long 10mm diameter wooden knitting needle which I used inside the fairing. Note this is the minimum length you need and plastic needles are no good, they just bend).

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12181.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12182.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12183.jpg

Once this half had dried I released the other half.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12171.jpg

Being right handed this side is much more difficult to apply the glue and spread, but since it is now firmly anchored in place it is less critical (hence why I did it that way round). Again I used pegs and the knitting needle.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12172.jpg

Finally I glued the other three fairings.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12174.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12175.jpg

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Very nice... Eagerly watching this.

Now you need the 8 F-1 Nova rocket to go with it... OL J R
Old 03-05-2018, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Looking forward to seeing this.

By the way in another thread (sorry but I can't track it down again) you posted a picture on your many rockets stacked in the corner of a room. (The person was asking about the colour of a tank and one of your rockets was the correct colour). I was just wondered if you have any photos of your rockets nicely lined up?

Regards

Kevin
A few of them are gone because of a lack of decent storage options (one big box just isn't a good answer ) but here's a few pics of some of them from years past:

Toy train manufacturers love to put rockets on flatcars. So I demonstrated what a 1:48 scale rocket would look like :

The F-1's work as flatcar payloads though:

My 1:48 first stage was too weak and most of the tank collapsed. But I saved the thrust structure:

Still working on that LEM!

Old 03-05-2018, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
A few of them are gone because of a lack of decent storage options (one big box just isn't a good answer ) but here's a few pics of some of them from years past:

Toy train manufacturers love to put rockets on flatcars. So I demonstrated what a 1:48 scale rocket would look like :

The F-1's work as flatcar payloads though:

My 1:48 first stage was too weak and most of the tank collapsed. But I saved the thrust structure:

Still working on that LEM!

Wow, nice looking models!

Incredible!

Thanks for posting the photos.

Mike
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v