PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-09-2018, 12:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Dear all

The next job on the thrust structure was to add the retro rocket motors. These are additions designed by Rocky Barnett (see post number 187 for details of where these are).
(snip)

Whilst making these they suddenly remaindered me of shotgun cartridges (well only what I have seen on TV who-done-its). Got me thinking as to why were the retro rocket motors painted red? Does anyone know?

Regards

Kevin
Probably because they're handled fully loaded with propellant when they're stored and installed on the rocket, I imagine. Course they didn't do that with the SRB's on the shuttle, which are handled fully fueled and loaded as well, but then they're also 12 feet in diameter LOL

The linear shaped charges on the Saturn IB's fuel tanks, for range safety destruct, were also painted red...

Later! OL J R
Old 03-09-2018, 12:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Dear all

I have got two new helpers for the 1/24 model. Let me introduce them to you. They are "mechanic John" and "engineer Tim".

Here they are checking out some of the F-1 engines

Attachment 340454 Attachment 340455Attachment 340456

They are 1/24 scale figures and at 3 inches tall it means they are 6 feet tall in their boots. I realised that they can give me a feel of just how big some bits of the real Saturn V were in life. For example here is what it would be like to stand right next to the USA letters of stage 1, or, inside that cavernous ring.

Attachment 340457 Attachment 340458

I have looked a lot but can't find may photos of the real Saturn V with people next to it in various stages of construction or finished. I am sure they would have taken them though. Does anyone know if such photos exist?

So here is a feel of how big this rocket was

Attachment 340461 Attachment 340462

This is just a model. What I find incredible is that there are/were actual people who did just that.

Here are two more of John and Tim looking over the retro rocket motors of stage one and then inspecting after installation.

Attachment 340463 Attachment 340464

Hope you enjoyed this little excursion

Regards

Kevin
Very nice... "Werner" and "Kurt" would be more accurate though... LOL

OL J R
Old 03-09-2018, 07:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Fascinating information Becky. Is there no end to your varied tastes and talents?
I'm sure Freud would have a thing or two to say about my interest in modes of transportation!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
If you're using Adobe Reader, on EDIT dropdown menu click on, "Take a Snapshot," and highlight the area you want to print. Then on the PRINT screen, under "Pages to Print," choose "Selected Graphic" -- it will probably choose this for you. Then you can print that selection at whatever % you choose.
Dear Sakrison

Thanks for the advice. Sorry it is taking so long for me to have a go. Still not managed it yet but hope to very shortly.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-10-2018, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
dam that's outstanding so far WELL DONE that man keep up the good work
Dear rifleman

Thank you for the kind words and great encouragement. Spurs me on.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-10-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
"Were any big bits of the Apollo/Saturn V transported that way?"

Not that I know of specifically. But the Saturn V itself as a finished article was!

How? Well, the diesel engines in the crawler transporter were made by ALCO:

The American Locomotive Company of Schenectady New York!

They also built REALLY big locomotives!

But seriously, NASA does have a railroad and SRB segments are transported by rail:

Terrific, thanks.

The crawler is a real beast of a machine. As a boy, I, like many others, watched the TV show "Thunderbirds". There was one episode where they try to move the "Empire State Building". This always reminds me of the crawler.

(This picture is linked from the the thunderbirds wiki fandom site).

It is almost beyond belief that the crawler does (essentially) this. Picks up a 40 story building, drives it up a hill and then places it down. Crucially without it falling over! (It also contains my favourite use of mercury).

For anyone interested here is a video (which is one of three) of inside the crawler

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-10-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker View Post
Very nice... "Werner" and "Kurt" would be more accurate though... LOL

OL J R
But of course! (Werner (as in von Braun) and Kurt (as in Debus) I presume).

However just had a thought, I don't picture Kurt Debus in overalls (since all the photos I have seen are of him in a suit) but what about the legendary "Gunter Wendt". In a way the first and last person of the Saturn V (in the sense of creator of Saturn V and last person to see before liftoff)

So if nobody objects, I will call them Gunter and Werner as a tribute.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-10-2018, 03:40 AM

1/24 thrust structure fins

Dear all

Early on in this thread Mechanic let me know about the fins in this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

....BTW, if you haven't glued your fins on yet, I'd wait until you're almost done with the whole model to do so. They are ridiculously fragile.

I have been thinking about this since then and eventually settled on the idea of making them detachable in such a way that if they were "caught" then they would detach before ripping/damage happened. To do this I have used magnetic paper and ferrous paper to attach the fins to the F-1 engine fairings.

So first up was to do one fin as a test. This is the first time I am doing something on the 1/24 model without having first built it on the 1/48 model. Here are a couple of photos

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12204.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12205.jpg

I am using ferrous paper on the fairing where the fin attaches and magnetic paper on the edge of the fin that attaches to the fairing. (Magnetic paper comes in various "grab" strengths. I am using a strong one. It worked well so into full production.

Here is a photo of the ferrous and magnetic paper parts for the next three fins. I am also using the (one-sided) self adhesive versions of the paper, so you just peel off the white part which reveals a very sticky side (got to get it right on very first contact).

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12209.jpg

Now the fins under construction

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12208.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12210.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12211.jpg

So Gunter and Werner check them out

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12206.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12213.jpg

I have seen a photo of the real fins all lined up in their yellow cradles ready for fitting (but cannot now find it). However I thought you might still like this picture of the real thing (from NASA)

I decided to do the 1/48 fins too. That way the models keep in step. Here is a size comparision

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12214.jpg

To finish off I stood the 1/24 model on a box and attached the fins. Two photos, with and without the Mr Bump mug for scale. It is hard to get everything in shot now.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12216.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12217.jpg

I am pleased with how they have turned out and have attached and removed them several times. All works well.

The 1/24 is starting to look like a Saturn V now I think.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Ingenious way to attach, or detach, the fins Kevin!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
That is indeed clever! Where do you find magnetic paper? I want to try it as well.
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v