PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-22-2017, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
Love the photos. The paper seems to have a little bit of a shine.
What kind of paper do you use? Do you use a spray or clear coat to get that shine?
The paper used is Xerox colotech+(the standard one in the yellow wrapper)
The parts are copied onto the paper using a laser printer. No other treatment used.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
My goodness, you must have a lot of room available to display the completed model. Details look great. By all means, please continue sharing your build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richschindler View Post
I know I for one will be watching this build with great interest. At fifteen plus feet where will you display it. From the photos you've posted so far it looks like this will be one mighty impressive model.
Good luck.
I certainly don't have a ceiling anything like high enough to stand up the finished model in and I think lying it on its side it will be too long for any room. It would fit in the garage however
Old 12-22-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
Wowsers! I remember the 2-story tall Saturn V at the old Visitor Information Center at NASA Lewis Research Center here in Cleveland. It was the last in line in a row of models that got bigger and bigger as you went down the line from left to right. Good luck!
That sounds like it looked really fantastic. I would have really liked to see it. Do you have a picture of them? (Apologies if this is not a proper question to ask in a forum. This is all very new to me)
Old 12-22-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
That is awfully impressive! And at 15-plus feet, that's going to be a mighty dazzling display. And, yes, plenty of us here will be VERY interested in following your build.

Were it me, I'd be tempted to build the basic F-1 outline, ditch the plumbing and cover the engines with batting, as on the flight articles.

If you wanted to go whole-hog, you could get Ken West's 1/12th scale CM, BPC and LES, shrink it....
Thanks for the thought on the engines. I have also gone and looked at Ken West's amazing Command Module Model, and well you have got me thinking...
Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 PM

Dear all

During this build I hope you don't mind if I include how I am doing some of the things and what I find out as I go along. Hopefully this would be helpful, just in case anyone else decides to have go. I know this forum (if that's the correct terminology for this site) is jam packed with incredible builders and designers and I guess everything I will say will be very low level for them. However I want to include what I find (as a beginner myself) helpful.

So on with the build!
Google Adsense
Old 12-22-2017, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
That sounds like it looked really fantastic. I would have really liked to see it. Do you have a picture of them? (Apologies if this is not a proper question to ask in a forum. This is all very new to me)
I've been searching and searching and haven't found a thing. It was either made of fiberglass or thin sheet metal, possibly aluminum. I used to visit the Visitor's Center 3 or 4 times a year since it's only a couple of miles down the road, but it seems we never saw fit to take a camera!

Here's something though that might interest you: Moon Race 2001 N1
Old 12-22-2017, 07:00 PM

So I have started the thrust structure. As before starting with 1/48 first and seeing how it goes together and then moving onto the 1/24. I only have one picture so far (lost the others in the operation of tech). However I have decided that for the 1/24 version one critical bit will be the ability to cut out large perfect circle formers (possibly 220mm radius) through thick card. I have found nothing on the market. For the 1/48 model I am a cutter that can do a max radius of 150mm (photo below). It cost £2.00 from "The Works" in the UK.

I have also been experimenting with joining parts on the 1/24 model. Some single parts on the 1/48 version are too big to fit onto a piece of A3 (which is the paper size I am printing onto) for the 1/24 model. So some parts need to be broken up, for example the photo shows that for the thrust structure the "USA" ring has to be made from 8 parts (in the 1/24 version) rather than 4 (in the 1/48 version). Another consideration is the areas for gluing. If just copying as per 1/48 then in the 1/24 case it would be common to glue 30cm x 15 cm in a single go. I am unable to do this and get a good result. However after a few trials I think I have got a good way for the 1/24 model (at least so far)

To give you a feel for the size of the 1/24 model I have included the last three pictures

First: my tea mug (with Mr Bump on it) and a 1/48 forward skirt of stage one.

Second: I have added 1/24 forward skirt ring of stage one (incidentally, Mr Bump on the mug is equivalent to a 5ft tall at 1/24 scale)

Third: I am easily standing in the 1/24 forward skirt ring of stage one

So I feel the adventure has really started and I hope you all enjoy the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-1-48-thrust-structure-started.jpg   1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-circle-cuttter-small.jpg   1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-a3-size-1-24-piece.jpg   1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-tm-1-48-fwrd-skirt.jpg   1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-1-24-tm-1-48-fwrd-skirt.jpg  

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-standing-1-24-fwrd-skirt.jpg  
Old 12-22-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
I've been searching and searching and haven't found a thing. It was either made of fiberglass or thin sheet metal, possibly aluminum. I used to visit the Visitor's Center 3 or 4 times a year since it's only a couple of miles down the road, but it seems we never saw fit to take a camera!

Here's something though that might interest you: Moon Race 2001 N1
Thats really interesting. Thanks
Old 12-31-2017, 09:34 AM

Dear all

First just want to say that the model I am building came from the Lower Hudson Valley paper model site of J. Leslie and I also found the basic instructions article there excellent.

The process I am using to enlarge the 1/48 model to 1/24 is as follows: I print off the 1/48 model as usual. Then I arrange the parts physical onto pieces of A5 (which is exactly A4 folded in half). Then since A3 is 200% of A5, I photocopy an A5 sheet of parts, enlarging by 200% on A3. This gives me the parts at 1/24 scale. Some parts are so big they do not fit onto A5 and so have the be cut into smaller bits.

One draw back with this method is that colours are a bit "duller" for the 1/24 scale. A better way would be to take the 1/48 scale pdf and take A5 sized regions and print them directly to the printer at 200% onto A3. Unfortunately I do not know how to do this. If anyone knows a really easy way of doing this (that a tech novice would understand) I would be very grateful to learn how.

Ok, now to some things I specifically found when doing the 1/24 F1 engines.

I found that the former for the nozzle extension (part 2 of page 1) and the former for thrust chamber (part 13 of page 11) had to have a larger outer circumference than drawn (about 1mm "further out"). Best to check before cutting triangular joining tabs.

When making the turbine exhaust manifold (parts 5 to 9 on page 6) the red "centre lines" are slightly off when enlarged to 1/24 and it is best to draw new ones and work to them (it makes a difference in the end). Also just for reference I found that for the "petals of part 9" that tabs A,B,D,F,H,J,L are glued to part 6 whereas tabs C,E,G,I, K are glued to part 7. (Really take care lining up petal A since this "fixes" everything that follows).

Finally I found the "lugs" (parts 19 and 28 on page 6) are best attached to the combustion chamber and heat exchanger (parts 12 and 18 on page 11) after you have made the high pressure LOX and fuel duct (pipes from parts 33 to 36 on page 16).

I found it difficult, using just rods and dowels, to roll and make small diameter pipes. So a friend made a "rolling" tool for me (photo below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-roller.jpg

It is simply a BBQ fork stem, bent and two dowels stuck on each end as handles. It works great for me and does not hurt finger tip joints. Very controllable and can apply much more pressure than fingertip pressing. It is easy to use for rolling cones as well.

The finished 1/24 F1 engine is approx 25cm high and 15cm in diameter. If you like engines I am sure you would enjoy making one of these.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
ive just come across this so best of british to you look forward to seeing more
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v