PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
well you've come this far and so far its amazing you've over come and sorted out issues so all I can say is bl##dy well DONE and keep going
Old 04-19-2018, 03:10 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
well you've come this far and so far its amazing you've over come and sorted out issues so all I can say is bl##dy well DONE and keep going
Ditto. This is Abso-bloody-lutely amazing. I never thought i would read where '' Step ladders '' would be requirement in a paper/card model construction...how cool is that Perhaps you would be safer to build the beast and have all stages connected outside in the open on a calm day. take all the photo's you can then dismantle and have her on display indoors in sections. She's going to be a awesome beauty of rare proportions in this modelling media. Paper/card really does Rock
Old 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Your long running support and interest much appreciated rifleman. Glad you are enjoying it still and getting the chance to use some less common "keyboard symbols"!

Regards

Kevin
Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Ditto. This is Abso-bloody-lutely amazing. I never thought i would read where '' Step ladders '' would be requirement in a paper/card model construction...how cool is that Perhaps you would be safer to build the beast and have all stages connected outside in the open on a calm day. take all the photo's you can then dismantle and have her on display indoors in sections. She's going to be a awesome beauty of rare proportions in this modelling media. Paper/card really does Rock
Hi Peter

I never thought I would be up a step ladder making a paper rocket model 6 months ago! Nice advice on the assembly. If completed will take lots of photos and post them here.

Regards

Kevin
Old 04-20-2018, 04:51 PM

1/24 attempted upper panel ring attachment to forward skirt of stage one

Dear all

For those of you who are still with me, you know from the last build post on the 1/24 model that I have reached a critical point which wil decide if the build can progress.

Here is what happened next.

In order to make the forward skirt and the interstage it is not possible to use the parts as printed. They are way too big an area to glue in a single go. So I made the first two layers of each ring as the previous rings. (So for the outer layer 4 parts, the second layer is the vertical tabs that join the outer layer, then 8 parts 40 mm x 140 mm to make a rim at the top and then the same again at the bottom, then cut out 16 panels to "fill in" the rest of the second layer).

Then I decided to make the rest of the forward skirt. So I add the third layer, trying at every step to keep it as circular as I could. Here is adding the third and forth layers of the forward skirt

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12457.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12458.jpg

Because of the size it is not possible to "friction fit" a former, because at this size to get enough pressure to get the required friction, the former needs to be a mm or so too large but this distorts the ring significantly. So you just have to get "as close a possible and basically hope everything is cut accurately enough.

I then added the "lip" to the forward skirt and then tried the "two layer thick" interstage on it

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12459.jpg

Although this looks ok what the picture does not show is that the contact area between the two rings is (at this photo) only two layer of thickness of paper. The rings are so big AND the paper still has some flexibility that the interstage can (with a tiny tiny movement "slip off" the forward skirt.

I decided to continue in the hope that as as the intertage got a bit thicker and stiffer it might work.

So I added the third layer to the interstage (which is the final "contact" thickness with the forward skirt). Trying to get all the panels to fit so the top and bottom height of the layer were correct I found very hard. Also I am still not completely "at home" with the (new) uhu, so often found the edges of a panel there are small parts not glued which I have to reglue using a tooth pick and Anitas tacky glue. However eventually you get there. Here is part way through the third layer and then it completed

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12460.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12464.jpg

Still has the "slippage" problem. For where "edges are resting on edges" I run a bead of Anita glue along the edge. Then I tamp it into the edge, wipe off the excess and finally run the handle of a glue spreader over the edge.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12462.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12465.jpg

This has thee effect of doing the following. It makes the edge a bit thicker. It seals the edge. It stiffens the edge. Finally it gives two such edges rubbing low friction. So it is easy to "spin" then (like a gun turret on a tank). After doing this and trying the interstage on the forward skirt, although improvement, the re is still the slippage problem. The trouble is it is at the limit of the physical strength of the paper compared to the area of contact. The combined amount that the forward skirt can flex (even though 4 layers thick) along with the 3 layer thick interstage is just too much. So I add the fouth layer of the interstage. Even though it will be 5 layers thick plus ribbing it is not going to get much stiffer after the 4th layer. It now looks like this

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12466.jpg

I then try it on

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12461.jpg

It is not perfect but it is holding.

So I climb my steps, place the forward skirt on the top of the stage one stack and then place the interstage on top of the forward skirt. I need to attach the forward skirt to the model without altering the shape of the top of the forward skirt (otherwise the interstage will not fit properly and slip).

By standing on the very top platform of the steps there is just enough room between the top of the interstage and the ceiling for me to lean over, and I can just reach down inside to carefully start glueing the forward skit into position.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12467.jpg

The outcome was ....IT WORKED!!!!

Here is the forward skirt attached

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12473.jpg

I still have to add the remaining strutts, formers, tabs and wall panels inside stage one (plus the top of the tank) but I think that should not disturb the forward skirt/interstage "join". Also I am hoping (fingers crossed) as the interstage gets finished (and that little bit stiffer) the join will be passable.

Gunter and Wernher check out progress from the steps and then Gunter looks inside

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12469.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12476.jpg

It is now a long way down to the bottom and "people" look small (as you can see)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12477.jpg

Two more photos with Gunter and Wernher (can you see both of them in both pictures?)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-slide1.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-slide2.jpg

Well the rocket is never going to be any higher in my house so I thought I would give one last photo of the space voyager 1/144, the 1/48 model (up to interstage) and the current 1/24 model

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-slide3.jpg

I am over the moon the build can continue. I hope you have found it worthwhile sticking with this build.

Stage two here we come!

Current model height 1.98 m (6 ft 6 in)

Regards

Kevin
Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
You're going to need a bigger boat...er, house! Well, at least a taller ladder!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:14 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Still with you Kevin. Watching and (sometimes ) holding my breath as you meet and solve problems.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.67 GB
Awesome Kevin, still following!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Styrofoam Cradle-Possible Wall Mount Idea

Kevin,

Do you have a wall long enough that you could lay it down along?

Used to work at a hardware store, the big drill presses we sold came packed in big boxes with Styrofoam packing. I used two of these and carved the proper curve into them to cradle the rocket with.

Here is a photo:
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-10ft-sat-v-cradle.jpg

Been thinking that with yours, if you purchased some of the building foam that has some width to it, say 2" [50.9mm], that you could carve the proper shape to cradle.

By adding a slight angle you might be able to make wall mounts that will support the monster along a wall with engines near the floor and the capsule near the ceiling. Does this make sense?

Mine didn't have all the internal support like yours does, so I needed foam with "width" so it didn't cause deformation.

The other thing about using the foam, during building you can lay the rocket horizontal, on top of a table, while in the cradle and continue working. Don't need a ladder this way.

Are you going to design it to take it apart as needed for transportation or storage?

Looking fantastic!!!

Best regards,
Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 04-21-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added photo of cradle
Old 04-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
give that man a medal BIG WELL DONE dam fine job
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v