PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-23-2018, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
Aye carumba!

(had to think of something to say other than "wow!" )
So this phrase always makes me hear a particular peice of music, so cue the music

Glad you are still enjoying the build and as always thanks for you comments Becky

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
You're continuing to make great progress imho Kevin. As far as the CM switcheroo goes, it's your model, build it however it pleases you. You can always build the West CM at a later date. Keep at it guy, you're doing great work!
Thanks for your support Elliott, really appreciated. I would like to do Ken West's CM model (who wouldn't how loves the Apollo spacecraft) and you're right, it is a future project.

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-23-2018, 01:39 PM

1/24 model home display

Dear all

I have been thinking about how to display the 1/24 model in my home. I want to particularly thank mbauer for his thoughts on this including his ideas in given in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Kevin,

Do you have a wall long enough that you could lay it down along?

Used to work at a hardware store, the big drill presses we sold came packed in big boxes with Styrofoam packing. I used two of these and carved the proper curve into them to cradle the rocket with.

Here is a photo:
Attachment 345704

Been thinking that with yours, if you purchased some of the building foam that has some width to it, say 2" [50.9mm], that you could carve the proper shape to cradle.

By adding a slight angle you might be able to make wall mounts that will support the monster along a wall with engines near the floor and the capsule near the ceiling. Does this make sense?

Mine didn't have all the internal support like yours does, so I needed foam with "width" so it didn't cause deformation.

The other thing about using the foam, during building you can lay the rocket horizontal, on top of a table, while in the cradle and continue working. Don't need a ladder this way.

Are you going to design it to take it apart as needed for transportation or storage?

Looking fantastic!!!

Best regards,
Mike
So after a lot of thought I have come to the conclusion that my home is just way too small to display the 1/24 model (even trying Mike's ideas). Not only do I not have a wall long enough, but the sheer volume of the rocket absolutely fills any room. Compared to the house it is massive. I did not really appreciate this when I started this project (though my wife points out this was obviously the case from the start!).

However all is not lost, see next post by me...

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-23-2018, 02:12 PM

News

Dear all

I have some news.

The 1/24 model is going to go on display to the general public at a totally free, non-commercial event. However it is for one day only.

The event is called "The Lancashire Science Festival" which runs for 3 days from Thursday 27 June to Saturday 30th June 2018 and is at Preston in Lancashire in the UK. The point of the event to let people experience lots of different aspects of science in a fun and entertaining way. There are talks, shows, presentations, stands etc. Lots of hands on.

It is a totally free event. The Thursday and Friday are for schools only but the Saturday is for the general public.

Here is the link which explains what is on etc

Lancashire Science Festival 2018

After transporting stage one to show the organisers they said it could be displayed, however, for "health and safety" reasons it will be displayed horizontally (like at KSC) and not vertically.

My hope is that the model will bring pleasure to some of the people who visit.

Just in case anyone from the forum is thinking of coming I can tell you this is a very popular event and there is way more to see and do than you can do in one day. It is good to arrive as early as you can. If anyone from this forum does come, you might notice I am giving a show about the real rocket to the moon, on a big two storey screen. If you want to say "hello" it would nice to meet you.

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-23-2018, 03:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Wish I could be there Kevin; however there is a bit of water between us. Would love to see the Saturn V and hear your talk. I bet you'll wow 'em!

Last edited by elliott; 05-23-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2018, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
way to go so glad for you this is going to be jaw dropping please take photos and once again BLOODY WELL DONE I SALUTE YOU
Old 05-23-2018, 04:38 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Been away a while, busy days....looks like you've been very busy also. What a super way to have all your hard work displayed. If...and it's a big if i can get to see this {and your good self} i will, although at present ''There's more chance of a trip to the moon'' {pun intended } Damned shame they won't allow vertical, but she will still be an ''eye catcher'' and much talked about display. I hope you get someone to video the event including your talk. How cooooool are YOU
Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
That's awesome news! You should video the reactions of people when you tell them what it's made of!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
15 foot IS a lot of wall space. but what about mounting each section at an angle so they take up much less length? I know this adds extra stresses for such a large model but it does reduce the total wall space needed to display.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Are you renting a semi truck to transport this beast? LOL

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v