PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
theres just no stopping you great build all round well done
Cheers rifleman. Looks like you are sticking with this project through to the end!

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-21-2018, 11:37 AM

1/24 stage 3 "outer parts"

Dear all

I am now turning my attention to finishing off stage 3. So this means attaching the "outer" parts to the stage.

As a main "source" of what the possible outer parts are I am using the "Apollo Maniacs" site and in particular for stage 3 this page

https://www.apollomaniacs.com/apollo/sv_s4be.htm

The downloaded model has the following parts

Systems tunnel: parts 39 to 43
Auxiliary tunnel: part 44
Auxiliary propulsion system (x2): parts 37 to 38

Parts 45 to 49 make, I think, LH2 line feed fairing.

This leaves parts 50 to 52. Now I think this makes an ullage rocket motor. However I have a couple of problems. If this is so then I think there should be two of these and second is I cannot see for the life of me how to put these three parts together. The thing I am trying to get it to look like is as on this video at 40:59

Am I missing something?

Anyway I have been thinking/testing what is the best way to attach the "outer"parts on the model and have finally settled on the idea of (if possible) using magnetic paper on the part and ferrous paper on the rocket where it attaches to.

So the first piece to try is the auxiliary tunnel

Here it is cut out and then folded

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12919.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12920.jpg

Then cut and attached the magnet paper to the "joining" side of the part

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12921.jpg

And finally glue the part together

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12922.jpg

So far so good, though some of the parts on stage one are a huge length so working my way "down" the rocket leaving the biggest bits to last.

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 10-21-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 10-21-2018, 01:26 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Still with you Kevin. Reading every post and cheering you on. Afraid I'm no help to you on this issue but have no doubt you'll pull through. Keep at it guy, you're almost there!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Thanks for that Elloitt. It does feel like we are on the last lap now but not in the home straight yet!

Kevin
Old 10-23-2018, 02:19 PM

1/24 stage 3 outer parts continued

Dear all

So after completing the Auxiliary tunnel I moved onto the auxiliary propulsion systems

Here are the parts being prepped and then the magnetic paper being cut out

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12923.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12924.jpg

At this point I realised that the "back surface" of these modules needs to be curved to match the curvature of the body of stage three. So this required on of the "flaps" removing (the flap to be removed is indicated below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12925.jpg

The best way I found of applying the "self adhesive" magnetic paper was by using a dowel to apply lots of pressure

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12926.jpg

Here they all with all the magnetic tabs attached and then the glued together parts

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12927.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12928.jpg

The magnetic tabs are essentially "hinged" and so till be able to fit to the curvature of stage 3.

Once all the outer parts of stage 3 are complete I will take them to y office at work and the apply the self adhesive ferrous paper to the body of the rocket in the appropriate places.

I must admit I do like the magnetic paper. Then I think magnets are really fascinating. I still find "Lenz's law" incredible to see and seems contary to physics (of course it is not!). If you have not seen it in action then take a look at the video below

I really like the fact that if you ever go on a vertical drop ride then it is exactly this that stops you. There are no friction brakes, too risky! Something like this (my listen to "top of the world" whilst watching)

Anyway I digress. Next up was the LH2 line feed. Here is how I proceeded

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12929.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12930.jpg

Adding the magnetic paper I found for me the best way was to attach it and then trim it "in situ" as shown

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12931.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12932.jpg

Then joining the various parts together

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12933.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12934.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12937.jpg

And finally the finished part

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12938.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12939.jpg

So remaining is the systems tunnel and the ullage rocket motors

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-29-2018, 05:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.51 MB
Mlp

Hi Kevin,no doubt the MLP for a 1/24 Saturn V is gonna be HUGE , trust me , it is A LOT OF WORK I built a 1/48 MLP for my Saturn too last year....save you the out come but it took me about 1 1/2 months (my entire year end holidays) to build the whole thing , I basically "got" the plans from the book (Moonshots and Snapshots of Project Apollo) . I have no doubt in my mind that you will find a more efficient and easier way to make it. Good Luck and Have Fun
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-fb_img_1523778440861.jpg   1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-fb_img_1523778470488.jpg  
Old 11-12-2018, 05:23 AM

Hi David31

What a fantastic model you have built there. I hope everything survived the "pad" incident. I am only thinking about the MLP. The LUT is just too big at 1/24 scale. Thanks for the tips and encouragement

regards

Kevin
Old 11-12-2018, 06:02 AM

a bit more on 1/24 stage 3 outer parts

Dear all

I have managed to make some more progress on stage 3.

The next part I started work on was the systems tunnel. However as soon as I started it I was not comfortable with it. The part in the download is a smaller version of the umbilical tunnels on stage one. However these tunnels are (roughly) semi-circular.

However when I look at this picture of the S-IVB of Apollo 17 after Lunar module extraction https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comme...shortly_after/

the systems tunnel looks cuboid to me.

For some reason the image will not upload so here is the same picture (in lower quality from The Project Apollo Image Gallery)

To my mind (now I have looked at it so often) semicircular just does not feel right. So after much thinking I decided to have a go at making my own version of the systems tunnel.

As well as the above photo I also used the following two video references

So I decided the tunnel starts at the aft end with a "half section" then 15 "full sections" (the 15th being painted half white and half black) and then finally a 45 degree sloped "bit" (It probably is not 45 degrees in reality but that was the only angle I could handle with the computer skills I have!)

For the 1/24 scale model the dimensions are as follows. A full section is 33mm high and 20 mm wide. The depth from the body of the rocket is 10mm.

So I created the parts in powerpoint using the "insert a table" option (which is probably the worst possible way) then saved as a pdf and then printed then out.

Here are the parts cut out and folded

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12978.jpg

As you can see I decided to make the tunnel from 4 parts. Each part will be attached to the body of the rocket using magnetic paper. So here is the magnetic paper being cut and attached to one of the parts

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12980.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12981.jpg

And here are all 4 parts finished

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12982.jpg

I decided to do a little test, so it was "fridge time". Here is the tunnel on my fridge

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12983.jpg

So this fridge has now been "equipped" with not only F-1 engines (quite a while ago now) but now a systems tunnel!

So that just leaves the ullage rocket motors and to attach the ferrous paper to the S-IVB and then stage 3 will be finished.

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-15-2018, 04:48 PM

New team member

Dear all

Still working on stage 3 thought you would like to meet a new member to join the 1/24 Apollo Saturn V build. Here they are

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12987.jpg

As you can see they are a 3d printed Apollo astronaut on the moon. A friend of mine kindly printed this test version for me (so that is why they are orange). They are now going to make some more for me at a much finer resolution and in white.

For those interested this is the source of the 3d file https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:230305

Here they are meeting Gunter and Wernher

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12988.jpg

Currently here right at home with the LM

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12986.jpg.

Looking forward to getting the real versions and painting them. If anyone has any suggestions on what type of paint to use or any tips I would be very grateful to here them.

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-23-2018, 04:06 AM

1/24 stage 3 almost there

Dear all

A bit more progress on stage three has happened.

I now wanted to add the ferrous paper to the body of stage three for the various magnetic parts to attach to. First up as the systems tunnel. I was very aware that I needed to get these ferrous strips dead true (otherwise it would look very "off"). So I used a "guide strip" of paper using the join of the main parts of stage three as a reference.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12993.jpg

The ferrous paper is unbelievably sticky on one side so you have to get it right with the very first contact.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12996.jpg

Before checking the systems tunnel I decided to add "aligning lugs" to the sections of the systems tunnel, using 3 mm thick card, so that it would stay "squared up" when all put together

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12984.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12985.jpg

And here is the tunnel attached

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12994.jpg

Next was the auxiliary tunnel. Argh!!! A bit of a wobble at the end but by good luck small enough to be covered when the tunnel is attached.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12997.jpg

For the Aux Prop System, I first needed an "insert" to keep the shape of the part, then added the ferrous paper and tested the part attached okay (the rocket is upside down when I did this)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12998.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12999.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13000.jpg

Hers are the parts added to the model

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13001.jpg

So next way the LH2 line feed. However at this point I had a thought. On the thrust structure of stage 3 a noticeable feature should be the LH2 fuel pipe running from the engine to the LH2 line feed (cover). No pipe is with the parts but I think it should be possible to use additional copies of the pipes for the stage two engines which are in the (updated) parts. So I am going to have a go at this. I want the pipe to match up with where the LH2 line feed is positioned so I need to do the pipe first.

And finally for this post, yes I still haven't sorted out the ullage motors!

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v