PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-05-2018, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Dear all

Now I have a big circle cutting too
I really need to get one of those! Looking for the "right size" dinner plate, saucer, drinking glass, or whatever gets ridiculous!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Similar Tool: Drywall Circle Cutter

Quote:
Dear all

The few days I have been working on the 1/48 model. However also during that time I have been trying to solve the problem of how to cut very large circular formers accurately. I had not found anything that could do the job and free hand was no good whatsoever. I explained my problem to my friend who made me the "rolling tool" and he gone and made me a giant circle cutter (photo below)

Attachment 334155

It can cut circles up to 40cm in radius (I need at most 25cm radius) and can take almost any blade including Stanley Knife 192 heavy duty blades. The bar is solid steel (my friend works on mending real steam trains so everything is "substantial") so is really accurate.

Here is the moment of truth, the first test circle

Attachment 334156

As you can see it works great (that's a 216mm radius circle). So can now advance the 1/24 model!
That looks like a drywall/sheet rock circle cutter used by carpenters. Available in different sizes at hardware stores..

Use scissors for my circles, close enough for the type of work I do, actually very accurate. Found that the compass type cutters on the thick stuff "walk" around the center pin, enlarging the hole as it is rotated several times (passes) to cut through the material.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-05-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Scissor comment.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Mike, just been looking at your photos of your 1/32 Saturn V. Really nice and is an actual rocket!

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your kind comments!

Yes, designed to fly, but hasn't yet. Will do a total rebuild, been experimenting with Minwax wood hardener. For the inside pressure tube construction.

Project has been put on back burner, getting ready to print/build final version of my Buzzzzz project.

Both projects competing with flying my airplane....Both have been losing big time, although redesign work on both projects has been completed.

Enjoying your thread, thank you for sharing your work. Great read; narration and photos are excellent!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-05-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:55 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Cool

You....Sir, have my attention. This is nothing short of FANTASTIC. I used to upscale, but nothing this huge. Thank you for sharing this marvelous experience with us her on PM DOT COM

Enjoy the video

Old 01-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hadn't seen that video before. Thanks Pete!
Google Adsense
Old 01-06-2018, 06:11 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Very cool video!!!,
Old 01-06-2018, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
How can anyone not be in awe of these magnificent machines and the thousands of pairs of human hands that made them possible. "Fake moon landing" my ...!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Hadn't seen that video before. Thanks Pete!
Yeah, it's even more amazing in slow motion. Some seriously good equipment, my friend
Old 01-08-2018, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 823.37 MB
Allow a little criticism of the project. At this scale corrugations should have been large enough. It is very difficult to achieve visual effects.
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-s-1c_skirt_dwg.jpg  
Old 01-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Cutting accurate circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
That looks like a drywall/sheet rock circle cutter used by carpenters. Available in different sizes at hardware stores..

Use scissors for my circles, close enough for the type of work I do, actually very accurate. Found that the compass type cutters on the thick stuff "walk" around the center pin, enlarging the hole as it is rotated several times (passes) to cut through the material.

Mike
Hi Mike

I had never heard of a drywall circle cutter. A quick google showed they look very similar to what my friend made are very reasonably priced. A number of well known tool makers versions for less than £10. I have been using my circle tool cutter and it is fantastic and I bet the drywall circle cutter does at least a good a job. Tempted to get one just to try it out. A great tip! (apologies if everybody but me already knew about these things).

I understand the walking "problem" but I have managed a method which overcomes this. However I am curious as to what you use to cut through stuff like 2mm or 3mm greyboard. Is it still scissors?
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v