PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-09-2018, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
I really need to get one of those! Looking for the "right size" dinner plate, saucer, drinking glass, or whatever gets ridiculous!
True, but just imagine if you did find an 18 inch diameter dinner plate. That's one big turkey drumstick you could have! Seriously though, mbauer has hit on a great idea, I think, of possibly using a drywall circle cutter.

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 01-09-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: correction of spelling
Old 01-09-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
You....Sir, have my attention. This is nothing short of FANTASTIC. I used to upscale, but nothing this huge. Thank you for sharing this marvelous experience with us her on PM DOT COM

Enjoy the video

Hi Peter

Thanks for the comments and particularly for the video. The Saturn V goes well with Bach! I really enjoy seeing it lift off in slow motion. For me, the Saturn V is the greatest machine ever produced and would have loved to see a live launch.

Also seeing all the fantastic workings of the LUT (an often overlooked masterpiece) in slow motion is incredible I think. So here is a video I hope you will enjoy.

I wonder if this will inspire someone to design a 1/48 LUT!

Kevin
Old 01-09-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLONE View Post
Allow a little criticism of the project. At this scale corrugations should have been large enough. It is very difficult to achieve visual effects.
Dear SLONE

Thanks for you comments and suggestion as well as the carefully prepared diagrams. I need to look into this to see if it is possible for me to incorporate actual corrugations. To help me do this, would it be possible for you to tell me the link(s) which contain the information where you got all your dimensions and information from?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:27 PM

More on 1/24 thrust structure

Dear all

Have done a bit more work on the 1/24 thrust structure. I want to point out that I think one of that parts is misprinted (so this applies to the 1/48 model too). It is one of the umbilical connections that the tail service mast connects to (part 6 on page 3 of thrust structure pages of parts). Essentially the red line and red arrow are in the wrong place. It should be (I think) as shown below

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11998.jpg

I found that I could not just "scale up" the gluing from the 1/48 model of these parts. Just too big to be able to place the umbilical connects correctly, So I cut the parts into two bits (like in photo below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11995.jpg

Here they are in place

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11996.jpg

I then had to make a decision about how "thick" to make the walls of the rocket. I have found that it is a real fine balance between weight to strength. Clearly the walls need to be a certain strength to avoid collapsing under the rockets own weight. However too thick and they cannot be curved and manipulated easily. I have settled on the following. They will be initially two layers thick (250 gsm). Then I will add the tabs that will hold the formers and then a third layer will be added to the remaining two layer surface once the shape is correct. Below (if you can see it) is the "second layer" of the thrust structure, which is made of quite a number of parts (since I am limited to the size I can successfully glue in a single go).

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11997.jpg

Next I used my circle cutter to cut out discs to make up the bottom on the rocket onto which will be attached the thrust structure bottom plate (parts 8 in the 1/48 model on pages 1 and 2, but I have had to split into quarters on the 1/24 model). It worked a dream and ate through 3mm greyboard. I also used the tip of putting a little Beeswax on the blade, which is a tip I read from Don Boose (if my memory is correct, apologies if I have miscredited). I am now waiting for a break in the weather so I can attach the parts using 3M super 77.

I am currently experimenting with the best way to make the engine fairings since they are too big to print on a single piece of paper.

Will try to update later
Old 01-09-2018, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Hi Peter

Kevin
Dream on! Although....I kinda did once! I had a dream one night of having a kit that would build an enormous model complete with pad and tower. But for some reason the tower was orange!
Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
I'm sure you're awash in references, but in case you haven't seen these, they have great photos and drawings that detail the corrugations. And yes, while it does entail a lot more work, in 1/24th scale, the corrugated surfaces would be very prominent features of the Saturn V's body.

John Duncan
The Project Apollo Archive
APOLLO MANIACS : Apollo spacecraft and Saturn Rocket / Apollo project

Rick Sternbach (yeah, the "Star Trek" guy...) discusses corrugations on his Saturn V Clinic page: The Saturn V Clinic
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Hi Mike

I had never heard of a drywall circle cutter. A quick google showed they look very similar to what my friend made are very reasonably priced. A number of well known tool makers versions for less than £10. I have been using my circle tool cutter and it is fantastic and I bet the drywall circle cutter does at least a good a job. Tempted to get one just to try it out. A great tip! (apologies if everybody but me already knew about these things).

I understand the walking "problem" but I have managed a method which overcomes this. However I am curious as to what you use to cut through stuff like 2mm or 3mm greyboard. Is it still scissors?
Not taking anything away from what your friend made; just the photo you posted reminded me of the drywall cutter. Hadn't thought of it until then!

Excellent friend to know!

The walking experience was with a plastic version of a similar tool. Small and cheap it would bend, as it bent the center "nail" would angle causing it to eventually enlarge the hole.

Thickest the scissors have been used on is approx. 1mm.

One issue with cutting really thick laminated card is that it "compresses" the card as it cuts, creating a frayed edge look. I do sharpen my hobby scissors used to cut the projects.

Best regards,
Mike
Old 01-10-2018, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 823.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
Dream on! Although....I kinda did once! I had a dream one night of having a kit that would build an enormous model complete with pad and tower. But for some reason the tower was orange!
Ok! See your dream!
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-satv_03.jpg   1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-satv_07.jpg   1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-satv_04.jpg  
Old 01-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Hi Peter

Thanks for the comments and particularly for the video. The Saturn V goes well with Bach! I really enjoy seeing it lift off in slow motion. For me, the Saturn V is the greatest machine ever produced and would have loved to see a live launch.

Also seeing all the fantastic workings of the LUT (an often overlooked masterpiece) in slow motion is incredible I think. So here is a video I hope you will enjoy.

Kevin
I get goosebumps when i see all this. The technicality...the engineering...the brain power to perform all the tasks involved. Truly a wonderful thing to behold.

Quote:
Ok! See your dream!
Oh boy.... Incredible
Old 01-10-2018, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Ok! See your dream!
Wow! But mine was life size!
Google Adsense

Tags