PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-11-2018, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Ingenious way to attach, or detach, the fins Kevin!
Thanks Elliott

It has already saved the fins!

Kevin
Old 03-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
That is indeed clever! Where do you find magnetic paper? I want to try it as well.
Dear scon10

There are quite a few manufacturers who sell small amounts to the public. I used "Abel Magnets". I have no ties with the company.

Abel Magnets, Magnetic Sheet, Magnetic Tape and much more | Abel Magnets

In case anyone wants to know here is a little guide to magnetic and ferrous paper.

Magnetic paper is actually a type of plastic/flexi sheet, usually brown in colour (think fridge magnet).
As well as the standard sheet, you can get "magnetic paper", which can be printed on through a laser or ink jet printer (though you need different types for each type of printer). This is basically the standard magnetic sheet with a layer of paper "bonded" to one side. It is usually white paper but other colours are available.
You can also get "self adhesive" magnetic sheet" which has a "very sticky" film on one side of the sheet.
Then there is "coated magnetic sheet" which is usually a white (matt or gloss) coating on one side of the standard sheet. However other colours are available.

Different manufactures make different strengths of magnetic sheet. The "grab strength" is given in so many grammes per square metre usually. The bigger that number the stronger the magnets are gripping. A given manufacturer will usually offer a range of grab strengths (which basically means they use thicker and thicker standard sheet.

Note that magnetic sheet is far more magnetic one side than the other (rather surprisingly).

It is easy to cut straight lines very accurately with a knife and thin sheet with scissors. I have found never tried cutting accurate curves it might take a bit of practise.

Ferrous sheet: this is a thin very flexible plastic type sheet that contains lots of tiny metal flecks. Like the magnetic sheet it comes in standard form, self adhesive, coated etc. You can cut it with scissors or a knife (though you will find if you do a lot the knife gets blunted pretty quickly. You can cut very accurate straight lines and curves too.

The most common use (as in shop signs) is to have a self adhesive magnetic sheet on a wall or board and then a ferrous sheet printed on one side which clings to the magnetic sheet.

I have found the most use for it (up until now) was to pint something on standard paper and then use self adhesive ferrous sheet which I then stuck my printed sheet to which I then cut out.

You can have "some" layer of paper between a magnetic sheet and a ferrous sheet and it will still grip (but not too much). This means you could (for modelling purposes) hide the magnetic and/or ferrous paper inside parts.

I once made a magnetic sheet stuck onto a board, then placed ordinary printed paper over it with lots of numbers relating to sets of double nine dominoes over it (like in the photo below). Then I made lots sets of double nine dominoes made from ferrous paper. Then (as a maths experiment) I put the board on the wall and had the dominoes in a bucket next to it and then let people "investigate". So the people assembled a portrait. The dominoes gripped fine through the paper.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-nelson-36-doms-map-version-1.jpg

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-nelson-36-doms-pic-version-1.jpg

I hope this has helped

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 03-11-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 03-11-2018, 04:19 PM

1/24 F-1 engines magnetic join to thrust structure

Dear all

The fins have worked fine and have already "broken off" safely whist moving the model (completely unintentionally).

I have now decided to join the F-1 engines to the thrust structure using the same method.
Here are the engines "magnetised" and tested out on a fridge!

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12220.jpg

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12221.jpg

They easily keep this position but can also be removed and replaced/re-positioned easily.

Next step is to finish off the thrust structure

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
This thread and the build continues to enthrall me. Pure magic !
Old 03-11-2018, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Your engines look fantastic!
Google Adsense
Old 03-12-2018, 02:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
so you planning on putting the fridge in space just don't tell the wife good idea with the magnets well done
Old 03-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
This thread and the build continues to enthrall me. Pure magic !
Hi Pete

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you are enjoying it all

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
Your engines look fantastic!
Thanks for the complement Becky. I now think all fridges should come with their own F-1's!

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-12-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
so you planning on putting the fridge in space just don't tell the wife good idea with the magnets well done
You have found me out! Thought a fridge was a bit more reserved and understated than a Tesla roadster. (Also to the sound of Louis Armstrong's wonderful world!)

Seriously though, I like what Elon Musk is doing and it really seems to be exciting the young about space which is great. I understand why he put the car up there as a headline grabber, but I wish there was a bit more on the real achievements of space X, like the double return of the boosters.

In case anyone did not see it here it is

What slightly surprised me was just how many people did not know that three actual fold-up working cars drove on the moon nearly 50 years ago. I'm sure some people did not believe me. That wonderful achievement seems almost forgotten. So as a tribute a little film showing one of the rovers roving on the moon

Thanks for your nice comments

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-12-2018, 01:38 PM

1/24 thrust structure almost complete

Dear all

A bit more progress on the 1/24 thrust structure.

I have added the "grills" (part 32 x4). I am not clear what their function was on the real Saturn V. Also the "plates" where the hold down arms gripped the vehicle and also where the tappered pins were attached (so that when the hold down arms released the rocket, it had to pull these pins through a slightly too small hole, which meant the rocket had a smoother rise from the launch pad. (I dont know what the proper name for these bits are (part 35). The motion target (part 38) on fairings B and D as well as the curved "air flow guides" at the lower edge of each side of each fairing (parts 33L a,b,c and 33R a,b,c x4). Again I dont know what they are called. Finally added the ferrous sheet to where the F-1 engines will attach.

Parts being made

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12203.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12227.jpg

And all assembled

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12228.jpg

I have checked the engines attach and detach. All worked fine. No picture though! This means all that remains is for the internal fairing support struts and then the thrust structure will be complete.

That will be the next "build post" from me.

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v