PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-27-2018, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleclaw4935 View Post
Are you renting a semi truck to transport this beast? LOL
Multiple trips using a people mover. Surely this is what the designers had in mind!

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-27-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
way to go so glad for you this is going to be jaw dropping please take photos and once again BLOODY WELL DONE I SALUTE YOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
That's awesome news! You should video the reactions of people when you tell them what it's made of!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Been away a while, busy days....looks like you've been very busy also. What a super way to have all your hard work displayed. If...and it's a big if i can get to see this {and your good self} i will, although at present ''There's more chance of a trip to the moon'' {pun intended } Damned shame they won't allow vertical, but she will still be an ''eye catcher'' and much talked about display. I hope you get someone to video the event including your talk. How cooooool are YOU
Dear rifleman, Peter, and Becky.

Thanks for your support. Very much appreciated. Will try to take lots of photos.

Is there a way to upload videos onto the forum?

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-27-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Wish I could be there Kevin; however there is a bit of water between us. Would love to see the Saturn V and hear your talk. I bet you'll wow 'em!
The Atlantic is quite big! Thanks for you encouraging comments. Will try to wow everyone about this (what I think) magnificent achievement of the moon landings.

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-27-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
15 foot IS a lot of wall space. but what about mounting each section at an angle so they take up much less length? I know this adds extra stresses for such a large model but it does reduce the total wall space needed to display.
Hi JohnGay

Thanks for your suggestion. The real problem is the volume of the model in that it will occupy at least 1/3 of the room (at the very least). Houses in England are not like the big two storey ceilings or huge open plan living areas of Florida homes. C'est la vie.

Thanks for your comments

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-28-2018, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Kevin,

Great to see your progress!

After reading about your intended display date, looks like you've created a deadline to finish by.

I too plan on building Ken's Command Module, thinking of enlarging to 1/6th scale, the only thing I would like to change is using actual text for the switches...

Not sure if you've seen the 1/4 scale Mercury Capsule constructed by closet astronaut: The Journey Begins...1/4 Mercury capsule

Here is the POTW photo: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/p...=scale+mercury

Hopefully the reading is not going to sidetrack you for too long.

Lots of interesting work has been done, yours is another upgrade on "normal"!

Looking forward to the final build photo!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Google Adsense
Old 05-29-2018, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Hi JohnGay

Thanks for your suggestion. The real problem is the volume of the model in that it will occupy at least 1/3 of the room (at the very least). Houses in England are not like the big two storey ceilings or huge open plan living areas of Florida homes. C'est la vie.

Thanks for your comments

Regards

Kevin
Ha Ha Ha!
Good point. But I did live in a 2up-2down in Ireland for many years, so I know what small homes are like (-= But you're right, I wasn't considering the amount it would stick out from the wall.

Cheers,

John Gay
Old 06-02-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Kevin,

Great to see your progress!

After reading about your intended display date, looks like you've created a deadline to finish by.

I too plan on building Ken's Command Module, thinking of enlarging to 1/6th scale, the only thing I would like to change is using actual text for the switches...

Not sure if you've seen the 1/4 scale Mercury Capsule constructed by closet astronaut: The Journey Begins...1/4 Mercury capsule

Here is the POTW photo: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/p...=scale+mercury

Hopefully the reading is not going to sidetrack you for too long.

Lots of interesting work has been done, yours is another upgrade on "normal"!

Looking forward to the final build photo!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Thanks for your comments Mike.

The 1/6 Ken West command module sounds awesome. Sure loads of people would like to see that. Thanks also for the link to the 1/4 Mercury capsule. Really enjoyed reading it. Gave me a boost.

And yes I have got a deadline now for a finish and am feeling nervous about getting it finished.

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-02-2018, 01:34 AM

Change for the 1/48 model

Dear all

I have been doing some thinking.

Because of the 1/24 model going to be displayed horizontally I still want a "vertical" Saturn V to be seen. Fortunately "health and safety" permits a 1/48 model being displayed vertically, so I have decided to make the rest of my 1/48 model as an "outside" skin only (so that is stage 2 and up). That means I will (hopefully) finish it in time to be able to display it along with the 1/24 model. Afterwards I will make a "full" stage two upwards which can go with the already made stage one and inter-stage.

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 AM

1/48 "outer" update

Dear all

So I have been working on the 1/48 "outer" model.

So first I made the "States" ring of stage 2 (as with the 1/24 model for the States ring you only need one panel with an umbilical outline and three panels without, see post 357 for details). Next the "backing plates" (from the updates parts which have no parts numbers)were cut out and then attached to the states ring.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12354.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12564.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12565.jpg

The this was all attached to the already made aft skirt

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12566.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12567.jpg

Next up was the "United" ring. This is made of 4 panels each with the word "UNITED" on them. Two of the panels have "vertical sway markers (the 7 black vertical dashes) on them also (part 13) and the other two do not have these markings. Actually on all flight ready Saturn V's there was only one set of vertical sway markers on stage 2 (from what I can tell from all the pictures and information I can find). So I decided to do just one part 13 and three part 14's. After making the ring I attached it to the states ring (remembering just in time to get the sway markers in the correct orientation)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12568.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12569.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12571.jpg

Next up was the forward skirt of stage two followed by the stage 2-3 interstage (cone). Then followed the aft skirt of stage 3.

Now the next bit is the LOX/LH2 fuel tank of stage 3. This is part 9. In the original pdf the part has "USA" on this ring twice and on the updates part it has "USA" four times. I really like the look of the parts. However from what I can find out the flight ready Saturn V's never had "USA" on their third stages. But it is the case tested stage 3 did as well as flight Saturn 1B's. So I opted to have just plain white for this part of the rocket.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12572.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12577.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12578.jpg

There was a "Dummy" Saturn V made for "practise" at KSC. This did have USA on stage 3. However I do not think Greelt intended to make this version of the Saturn V since it has a very distinctive black band just above the USA of stage one and this is not on the model.

The "dummy" saturn V ( or SA-500F to give it its proper code) was the only Saturn V to have this black band. (Here is a picture from collectspace.com)

The black band was removed on subsequent Saturn V's since the black paint absorbed heat (more than white) and caused the LOX fuel to get dangerously warm. Does anyone know why the USA on stage 3 was removed (if I am right) on subsequent Saturn V's?

Anyway I finished off by adding the forward skirt to stage 3

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12580.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12581.jpg

Hopefully more progress soon

Kevin
Old 06-02-2018, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Apollo 7's S-IVB had the "USA" and the two black bands. It was, of course, launched atop a Saturn 1B, however.

No idea why the "USA" was later removed. Could be a good question for Rick Sternbach. (Yeah, the "Star Trek" guy....) I once asked him why different fonts were used on all three stages and he said it was because each was made by a different contractor. Not only were fonts different, but the shade of red (and even white) each contractor used was different.
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-img_6861.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v