PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-07-2018, 02:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Rocket to the moon (part 4)

Dear all

After some time away I am now able to continue our story.

So we have gone into earth orbit. It takes one orbit to check everything over in the spacecraft and then we are ready for the point of no return “Trans Lunar Injection (TLI)". We fire up the stage 3 engine for a second time and it accelerates the spacecraft from 17500 mph to a staggering 25000 mph. We are now travelling faster than any human being has ever gone before or since. We are breaking free of earth’s gravity and heading out into outer space.

The engine has to burn for 6 mins for the spacecraft to reach 25000 mph and now almost all the fuel is gone from stage 3. Like a ball thrown up in the air, we are now coasting away from the earth whilst its gravity starts slowing us down as it tries to pull us back.

Once we are on our way we learn that the mothership and landing craft (which together form the “Apollo” spacecraft) separate from the rocket. Of course, there is no film of this happening but here is a nice animation of the procedure.

So now the Saturn V has completed its job. It is less than 4 hours since lift off and now it has come to the end of its brief life. All that remains of this magnificent machine is the empty stage 3, just hanging there lifeless in space next to us (as shown by this actual photo)

However it has one final journey. The early Apollo missions sent the stage 3 to orbit around the sun forever. The later missions crashed the stage 3 into the moon which helped scientists understand what the moon was like inside.

Incidentally, in 2002, a new “asteroid” was detected on a path which would come between the earth and the moon. Tests showed it contained unusually high amounts of Titanium dioxide, the main pigment of the white paint used on a Saturn V, at which point it was realised this new asteroid was in fact a stage 3 of a Saturn V from the Apollo programme.

Perhaps one day in the future someone will go and capture one of these stage 3's and return it to earth for people to see.

However back to our journey.

So we are now travelling in the Apollo spacecraft heading out into outer space. But where exactly do we aim our spacecraft? Well, as we cross the path the moon traces around the earth, the pull of earths gravity has slowed our spacecraft to 5000 mph. At this speed if we arrive “just before” the moon gets there (which means we arrive 300 miles above the moon’s surface) the moons gravity will be just strong enough to pull us right round the back side of the moon but not quite strong enough to hold onto us and so we will loop round and then fall back to earth. (Hence the reason for the design of the Apollo 8 mission patch)

This is a very difficult calculation to make and carry out. Over the quarter of a million-mile journey to the moon there is very little room for error. If we arrive too soon then the moon will not be able to pull us around and we will head off into space forever. If we arrive too late we will crash into the moon or miss the moon and again just fly off into space forever.

So we cross the void between the earth and the moon watching the earth recede from our command module windows with our backs towards where we are heading, so we cannot see our destination.
Because earth’s gravity is continually slowing us down it takes 3 days (72 hours) to cover the 250000 miles, living in that tiny command module getting ever further from the earth.

After 3 days of travel we are so far away that the earth is about the size of your thumb nail as we reach the path the moon takes around the earth. Up until our flight, the furthest a human has been from the earth is less than 300 miles. We are now 250000 miles from earth. For the first time on our journey we are going to see the moon as we swing round the back side of the moon out of sight of planet earth.

Ever since life first appeared on planet earth there have been about 100 billion human beings born. Out of those 100 billion human beings, not a single one has ever seen what we are about to see, and this IS what we see

Now watch the video (as large as possible)

So whilst on the back side of the moon our mothership engine fired and slowed us to 3000 mph which means the moons gravity is strong enough to “trap” us in a lunar orbit about 70 miles above the surface of the moon.

So now we going to jump forward in time to 1969. We are on Apollo 11 and we are going to attempt the first ever landing on the moon. Two astronauts transfer from the Command Module (“mothership”) into the Lunar Module (“landing craft”), which leaves one astronaut still in the command module. The lunar module then separates from the command module. How does the lunar module land on the moon?

Now watch the first 30 seconds of this video

This is a computer games called “Lunar Lander” which you can play for free on the web. Basically the mathematics that controls this programme is the same mathematics that describes how to land on the moon.

The moon's gravity is trying to pull you down and you have a certain amount of rocket fuel in your lander and you can point your engine in various directions to control your descent to (hopefully) a nice soft landing.
That is just a game, but essentially that is how the real moon landing was done. And here is the real thing

Now watch this video from 2.20 to 2.45

And then this video from 3.45 to 5.00

It was incredibly exciting and tense watching at the time and a massive relief for everyone when they touched down. Well not quite everyone. Unknown to the public the astronauts had a heart stopping 60 seconds to decide if their spacecraft had landed safely and was stable and not slowly sinking or tipping over in which case they needed to lift off whilst they still could. After that time they would not be able to catch up with the command module passing overhead until it had gone around the moon again which was in another two hours.

So mankind had landed on the moon. So what was it like, right at that very momment it was actually happening?

Now listen to some evocative music whilst you read the rest of this post. Maybe something like this

It was incredible! It was as is if you were with them, right there. And we saw this

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-pic-18.jpg

A totally different world which was both mesmerizing and foreboding at the same time. The inky black void of the sky and the utter stillness of the surface of the moon. And everywhere on the moon was like nothing ever seen before.

And then the stunning moment of this

The most important photograph in the history of mankind showing the first human on the moon. Mankind’s first ever step off the earth onto another celestial body. However, the astronaut in the picture is Buzz Aldrin who was the second man on the moon. The first man on the moon was Neil Armstrong who had a camera strapped to his chest which took still pictures. This is one of those pictures and you can see Neil Armstrong in the reflection of Buzz Aldrin’s visor.

And the world held it’s breath and watched in amazement as people walked on the moon. We saw what 1/6 gravity was like and it looked great fun. And you could go out from your home and look up into the night sky and see the moon and at that very moment two human beings were actually standing on it.

It was a very different place to earth. A world where if you placed you hand in direct sunlight it could reach over 100 degrees c yet move your hand a few inches into shadow and the temperature could drop to less than -150 degrees c.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-xdy5kfarkmhal66anczt5ao4xfzu8dnpetoh2-mqtn4.jpg

On three of the Apollo missions they took a car to the moon and explored further and even out of sight of the lunar module. In this alien world scale and distance were difficult to judge. That mountain in the background of the photo above, is as high as the mountains in the Alps.

And whereever you looked there was the same “magnificent desolation” as Buzz Aldrin summed it up. And it was utterly and totally devoid of any life. This beautifully haunting world is unbelievably dangerous. The only thing keeping you alive is the incredible “mini earth” of a spacesuit that you are wearing without which you would die instantly.

And as you ride the lunar rover across this landscape eventually a very “out of place” alien looking object comes into view. It is the lunar module and it is tiny in the vastness of the lunar surface. It is the only thing on this entire world that can keep you alive but only for a few days. It is a wonder of maths, science and engineering and is “your bit of earth” on the moon. It is your way, your only way, to leave the moon.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-earth_over_apollo_11_lunar_module.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-as17-134-20471.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-as17-134-20387.jpg

And whilst on the moon whenever you looked up you would see the earth, motionless, fixed like a painting, in the same place, never moving. Apart from you, your fellow astronaut on the moon and the astronaut still in the command module orbiting the moon every other living human being, every living thing in the entire universe (as far as we known) is up there on planet earth, a quarter of a million miles away. Every hope, thought, dream that has ever happened, everyone who has ever existed, all the people you know and love, all of that, is contained in that one small blue dot.

And then it is time to go. It is time to go home.

To be continued

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-artificial-apollo-3rd-stage.jpg  

Last edited by Algebraist; 08-07-2018 at 02:44 AM. Reason: add an image
Old 08-08-2018, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
Well done.....question if I may, did the IU for the card model ever get made and uploaded ? Been away ill for a bit and am not sure if I missed it. I am working on a display for the 50th ann of Apollo 11 next year which is why I am asking. Thanks...

Bob
Old 08-11-2018, 07:57 AM

IU parts for Saturn V

Hi Bob

The parts were finished but no instructions (as yet) though it is just a ring. I have sent them to legal01 but other than that I do not know if they have been incorporated into the model "somewhere". However I have sent you a PM

Thanks for your kind compliment

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 08-11-2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 08-12-2018, 04:57 AM

Rocket to the moon (part 5, final part)

Dear all

I am able to continue our story.

Dear all

Okay we are ready to leave the moon and meet up with the command module orbiting around the moon. Time to make the “lunar orbit rendezvous”. This is what is going to happen

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-pic-19.jpg

Many considered this the most difficult and dangerous part of the whole mission. But why?

Well first of all, if the ascent engine of the lunar module fails to ignite or malfunctions then there is no backup. You are stranded with no possibility of a rescue mission. For that reason, this engine was made as simple and reliable as possible. It used two chemicals that would react on contact. There was no igniter necessary. There is one drawback with a rocket engine of this type. You can never test that actual engine.

Second is the “rendezvousing”. If I am on the motorway and I want to catch up with a car which is ahead of me in the same lane I simply press the accelerator to gain more speed and I do not have to change lane. Things are different with orbits.

Suppose I am in particular orbit and I want to catch up with another spacecraft which is ahead of me in the same orbit. If I accelerate, the maths tells me that, that increase in energy will push me out to a higher orbit (which is also a longer orbit) and it will take me longer to complete this new orbit. So actually, I will get “further behind” the spacecraft I want to catch up.

So for lunar orbit rendezvous to work the lunar module rising from the surface of the moon has to constantly change the height of its orbit so that when it gets the height of the command module the front of one spacecraft is “kissing” the back of the other spacecraft. Finally you can only carry enough fuel to have one go at this. You must get it right first time.

You are now about to see the most beautiful example of a mathematical solution to a problem put into action. You will also see how spacecraft really move (which is very different to how it is shown in the Star Wars films).

Now list to some time to leave music. Perhaps something like this

And watch

[/YOUTUBE]

and then this video from 0.26 to 4.14

So once the lunar module is docked with the command module and the astronauts transfer back into the command module the lunar module is jettisoned.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-pic-20.jpg

So we are now ready to make the trip back to earth. Just what does that involve?

The first step is that the service module engine needs to fire once more to break them out of lunar orbit. If the engine fails to ignite they will be trapped going around the moon forever. Then we will start “falling” to earth.
By the time we are just 75 miles above the earth we will be doing 25000 mph. So the next step is to slow down.

The service module has been providing all the power, water and oxygen required to keep us alive in the command module. It has been routed from the service module to the command module round the outside via the umbilical. So for half a million miles our lives have relied on those connective pipes. But with 75 miles to go that is about 15 mins of flight left and we can survive the command module without the service module. So the service module will jettisoned at this point.

So next the command module alone enters the earth’s atmosphere and uses it as a brake. The friction between the spacecraft and the air slows the spacecraft down to 300 mph. However there are a couple of tricky points to this.

You must enter the earths atmosphere at just the right spot (called the entry corridor). Come in too shallow and you will fly right through the atmosphere and back out into space and run out of oxygen and die. Come in too steep then the forces are too great for the command module and it breaks up. There is very little margin for error. In fact from a quarter of a million miles away at the moon you have to hit this spot to within just 15 miles. (This is like trying to hit a 1 mm dot on a football from 7 metres away.). And you only get one go at this!

The other tricky point is the heat created from the command module trying to push through the air molecules in the atmosphere incredibly fast. As it does this, the command module compresses the air in front of it which heats up (like a bicycle pump plunger in a bicycle pump) turning the air into a hot plasma at 3000 degrees C.

To stop the spacecraft melting the blunt end of the command module is the leading face on re-entry and is made from tens of thousands of fibre glass “cells” each one hand filled with epoxy resin. As the epoxy resin heats up it burns (which absorbs the heat energy) and slowly flakes off. However every single cell must perfectly made and filled otherwise the tremendous heat of re-entry could get through the heat shield and destroy the spacecraft.

Finally at starting at 24000 ft a series of parachutes stored in the top of the command module are deployed finishing with three mighty red and white stripped ones to slow us down from 160 mph to a safe 20 mph. The thing is these parachutes are over half an acre in area with a mile and a half of suspension cord. It takes a week to pack them and they are crushed to the density of wood. And for the last week they have been sitting in the freezing temperature of outer space. So before re-entry they are warmed up with heaters. If those heaters fail, then it will be 3 lumps of frozen fabric and not 3 parachutes that will be released

So with all that in mind, it is time to start our journey back to earth.

Now think of some returning music as you read the next few paragraphs, perhaps something like this

This is what the astronauts see as they approach earth

Now watch the following video from 1.31. to 1.40 then 2.10 to 2.22 (but mute the sound and listen to your music instead)

As for the rest of the planet it watched and waited as re-entry started. There were no films of this and radio contact is lost with the spacecraft. It was tense. You could not help but think that after getting this far would the stress of the journey be too much as the spacecraft is exposed to such tremendous forces and stresses?

Now watch this video (with your music and the sound of the vidoe)

Splashdown!
Mankind had done it! Gone to the moon and back. People really did cheer, clap and smile. The mood was euphoric. Where ever the astronauts went people would flock to see them

And the future looked amazing. The whole word was going to change and it was so exciting. There was nothing mankind could not accomplish if it put its mind to it. We were going to build a base on the moon and there would be shuttle flight to it and before the end on the 1980’s we were going to go to this place

Mars! People were going to walk on another planet before 1990. And it was as if mankind had come of age. It had come to realise the earth as a whole and now knew what could be done and it was going to

(Suddenly the lecture theatre goes into total darkness and silence this, then after a few seconds you see).

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-pic-21.jpg

Richard Nixon (who had earlier been defeated by John Kennedy) finally won the Presidency of the United States and was in office when the first manned moon landing happened. Shortly after he terminated the Apollo programme.

Just 1243 days after the first human footprint was made on the moon, Eugene Cernan, commander of Apollo 17 made the last human foot print on the moon as he climbed back into the lunar module ready for lift off on 14th December 1972 after saying these words.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-pic-22.jpg

It was astonishing just how quickly the world seemed to forget Apollo. In total 7 manned missions were sent to land on the moon, Apollo 11 to 17, however an accident happened on Apollo 13 which meant it was unable to land on the moon, but that is another story. In total only 12 humans walked on the moon and of those only four are still alive. Very soon very few people will even be able to remember those fantastic achievements.

So why was Apollo terminated?

As with the all of our story' it is a complicated, but ultimately is was because President Nixon wanted to use the money on continuing a war the United States was fighting in Vietnam.

Ironically Apollo was started for a political reason to try and beat communism and it was terminated for a political reason to try and beat communism.

Yet for a brief moment it became so much more than that. One act in particular shows this. On the very first moon landing there were a few, very carefully chosen, objects taken and left behind on the moon. To honour the first human in space, NASA requested and the Soviet Union gave them, one of Yuri Gagarin’s military medals, who was killed in an airplane crash on 27th March 1968. That medal was one of the objects left behind.

So was Apollo worth it? So how much did it cost and what were the benefits?

According to the US Congress in 1973, the Apollo programme cost 26 billion dollars, so in today’s money to replicate all of Apollo would cost about 150 billion dollars which is spread over 10 years. That’s a lot of money, 15 billion a year. Last year the world spent 110 billion dollars on video games, 500 billion dollars on mobile phone sales, 1.7 trillion dollars on arms and it is estimated that between 20 to 50 trillion dollars (out of a total world wealth of 280 trillion dollars) is hidden in offshore accounts by individuals and companies to avoid paying tax on it into their relative communities.

And what did Apollo give us for all that money?

Well one thing it did not give us, but which is often attributed to it, is Teflon. Teflon was discovered by accident in 1938 by the DuPont company and was used to enable the manufacture of the atomic bombs in the Manhattan project of World War Two.

Apollo gave us lots of individual things but in particular it gave us two huge things. First was this

It showed beyond doubt we are all interconnected on the earth whether we like it or not. Moreover, as Apollo showed, there is no realistic “backup earth”. This is all we have got to live on.

The other thing Apollo gave us was our current modern world. How? Well on Apollo everything had to be 99.99992% reliable (and that was only because human lives were relying on it). Our modern world can only exist because complex machines and systems can be manufactured and operate virtually all of the time. It was the Apollo programme that solved how to do such things.

Ultimately space travel is the only long term future for the human race. Yes it is expensive but there is plenty of money. As in the days of Apollo, it is simply a matter of choice by the people who control the money as to what to use it for.

The night before the Apollo 11 launch, Wernher von Braun was at a very private dinner party and said, “If it had been our intention merely to go to the moon bring back a handful of rocks and soil and forget the entire enterprise then we would have certainly been history’s biggest fools”.

Over the half century since Apollo, a manned mission to Mars quickly faded out of possibility as the moon landings are now virtually unknown by anyone under the age of 50.

However a recent event has rekindled the dream of a mankind going to Mars.

We learn this is the Falcon Heavy rocket of SpaceX (which is owned by Elon Musk). Unlike the Saturn V it has side boosters. What really opens up space flight is a totally reusable rocket and you are about to see the most important step towards that. You are going to see what looks like the “science fiction” in that the boosters are going to fly back to the launch site once their job is done.

Hopefully the next generation is about to discover that “Apollo spirit”.

Now choose some exciting music. Maybe something like this

And then watch this video with the music and the sound of the video

The End (or really just the start?)

I hope you have enjoyed it

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-12-2018, 08:05 AM

missing picture from above post

Dear all

In the above post (last part of rocket to the moon) a picture did not come out. This is what was meant to be there

The first of the two huge things that Apollo gave us was this

Hope this now makes sense

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
BLOODY WELL DONE and thank you for this blast from the past
Old 08-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
BLOODY WELL DONE and thank you for this blast from the past
Glad you enjoyed the trip rifleman.

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-16-2018, 02:55 PM

1/24 Lunar Module started

Dear all

So I have now been able to make a start on the model(s) again (though time is a little scare a the moment so progress will be slow).

I decided to continue by making the 1/24 LM. However I first made a rough partial 1/48 LM to get the feel how it all went together. Here is a photo of that partial model (I printed it in only in black and white).

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12794.jpg

The for the 1/24 LM I looked an the several versions that are "out there" but in the end I felt the one most suited was the one that comes with the main download. (The other one I was very interested in has a very "photo realistic" gold mylar covering).

Some of the parts are very big and have to be split when enlarging for the 1/24 LM. This is so for the main base part which is shown here cut out

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12665.jpg

And then joined and folded

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12796.jpg

Next are the other arms of the leg structure (if you know what I mean)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12795.jpg

And finally the underneath of the base

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12663.jpg

I know I have only just started the 1/24 LM but already it feels a really nice model in its own right. The enlarged "graphics" look great. I know it is early days but if you like the LM then I would say have a go at a 1/24 scale version.

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-26-2018, 02:57 PM

More on 1/24 LM

Dear all

I have managed to do a bit more on the 1/24 LM model.

I should point out that there are no instructions with the LM in the "greelt" Saturn V download. It is mostly "clear" what to do. However there are a couple of places where I was stumped. However the model of the "Gulf Oil" LM on the Jon Leslie site

The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop - Photo Gallery - Apollo Spacecraft

has instructions included for that LM and although the model is not exactly they same it is close enough from an "instructions" point of view.

So I now needed to join the "legs" part of the descent stage to the rest of the descent stage. However I found the only way to get a good join in all the places was to cut a hole where "part C" goes (which is the place for the descent engine) to allow access "inside " the descent stage joining tabs. This "hole cut" is not part of the instructions

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12804.jpg

The glued structure is still okay at supporting its own weight at the enlarged scale

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12805.jpg

Here is Gunter and Wernher for size comparison.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12806.jpg

Next I started work on the ascent stage. So here is the "rear" section cut out, folded and finally glued

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12807.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12808.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12809.jpg

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-31-2018, 03:33 PM

Yet more on the 1/24 LM

Dear all

So I have managed to find a bit more time to progress the 1/24 LM. The next part I worked on was the "central" part of the ascent stage. Here is the main piece glued and also the cover for the fuel tank for the ascent engine

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12812.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12813.jpg

I found it useful leaving the "bottom flap" of the main piece unglued for when it came to forming all the ascent stage of the LM.

For those curious here is a NASA drawing of the LM

and the NASA page it came from which contains lots of other drawings

https://history.nasa.gov/diagrams/apollo.html

Next came the forward part of the ascent stage (which is in 3 parts, middle and left and right side). Here is the middle cut out and folded

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12814.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12815.jpg

And then glued. I have shown a number of these since this folding is not entirely clear on the instructions (as mentioned in the previous post)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12818.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12819.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12820.jpg

Then came the left and right sides and their attachment to the middle part.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12823.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12824.jpg
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12837.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12838.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12839.jpg

Finally for the front I did the RCS quad engines and radar.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12840.jpg

Gunter and Wernher show it is quite small really

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12841.jpg

Not much more to go now to finish the LM

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v