PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
Alphonso is hosting a SCA on his "old" site.
SCA
Old 12-18-2018, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
1/24 interstage (1 to 2) finished

Dear all

For some reason whilst still doing interstage 2 to 3 I had a look at interstage 1 to 2.

So to finish off the interstage 1 to 2, all that needed doing were the retro rockets. It turns out these are constructed differently from the instruction (from what I could tell) so I thought I would detail what I did.

First cut out the bits as shown and then glue as in the second picture (so the long part is now double thickness)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13073.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13074.jpg

Next cut out the next part shown, fold and then (no given in instruction) notch as shown

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13075.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13078.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13079.jpg

Now fold and glue into a triangular shape, which is much narrower than the width of the retro rocket (again this is different to instruction)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13080.jpg

And then glue down the centre of the retro rocket (like a spine). This just acts as a strengthener and not support for the fairing (which is still to be attached)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13083.jpg

Next cut out the bottom section of the fairing (cut the tabs out accurately. Then glue to the retro rocket but only gluing the tabs on the long part (which are excellently marked where to go. Leave the "bottom" of the rocket unglued.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13084.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13085.jpg

Next cut out the middle, top and joining parts of the fairing, and join the middle part to the joining part. Note that the markings on the middle part are not equal so make sure you get all 4 oriented the same way on the 4 retro rockets. Then glue the middle fairing to the retro rocket using the underneath markings of where the tabs should be placed (as shown). A dowel is really useful at this point for "sliding inside" and pressing down which is why you want the bottom of the retro rocket "open" for now.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13086.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13087.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13088.jpg

Note that the middle part of the fairing (very nicely) just slides over the bottom part and there is no need to glue together.

hen glue the top part of the fairing. I found a kebab bamboo skewer very useful for this glue

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13089.jpg

Now (for me) I attached the magnetic paper

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13090.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13091.jpg

(Again using dowel was vital), which give this

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13092.jpg

Now glue the bottom of the rocket to finish them

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13093.jpg

As you can see this was the point when I learnt that the middle fairing part is not symmetrical!

Finally I added the ferrous paper onto the body of the interstage. Here are some pictures of the finished interstage.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13098.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13100.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13101.jpg

Not sure if I will get anymore done before Christmas, so in case not,

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year!

Regards

Kevin
Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
```and the same to you sir well done
Old 12-18-2018, 10:01 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Oh yes, great idea David.

Perhaps also SOFIA (jumbo) and the Shuttle carrier. I wonder if either of these is available in paper, does anyone know?

(from NASA's newest telescope is housed in a special jumbo jet that flies at 45,000 feet - ExtremeTech)

(From https://hub.united.com/tricked-out-747s-2508103068.html)

And here is a possible project of two USA icons

(From https://hub.united.com/tricked-out-747s-2508103068.html)

Regards

Kevin
I believe that Aaron made models of these versions, at least the SCA and Air Force One, not sure about Sofia
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-18-2018, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
The SCA hosted by Alphonso was designed by Richard De Vries. Those T-38s are his as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Oh yes, great idea David.

Perhaps also SOFIA (jumbo) and the Shuttle carrier. I wonder if either of these is available in paper, does anyone know?

(from NASA's newest telescope is housed in a special jumbo jet that flies at 45,000 feet - ExtremeTech)
As a former Skydiver my first thought on seeing this was,
. . . "DAMN!!! That's one HELL of a Jump Plane!!!"
Old 01-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
Alphonso is hosting a SCA on his "old" site.
SCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
I believe that Aaron made models of these versions, at least the SCA and Air Force One, not sure about Sofia
Thanks for the info Phantom Cruiser and rickstef, much appreciated.

Regards

Kevin
Old 01-02-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGay View Post
As a former Skydiver my first thought on seeing this was,
. . . "DAMN!!! That's one HELL of a Jump Plane!!!"
So did you do things like this

I also stumbled on a very unusual use of a net

It looked pretty close to me!

Regards

Kevin
Old 01-02-2019, 03:27 PM

Start of 1/24 stage one umbilical tunnels

Dear all

Happy New Year.

I decided to start on with the last bits for stage 1, the umbilical tunnels. At well over 5 feet long each it is not viable to have them as a single piece which is then glued to the body of the rocket (as is the design). Instead I decided to construct them in sections and then attach them to the body of the rocket using the favoured magnetic and ferrous paper.

So I decided to use make them as in the sections they are printed except for the the two bits that run on the corrugated section (part 11) and the USA section (Part 12) which I cut into half each. Each section is going to be made (essentially) the same way.

So doing the lowest part of the umbilical first, I made the triangular inner strengthener and then the "rolled" outer tunnel as well as the "end cones" and joiners. Then glue al together except for the end cone.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13124.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13125.jpg

Then cut the self adhesive magnetic paper and attach to the tunnel using a dowel pushed inside the tunnel to press firmly down to secure the magnetic paper (hence the reason for not joining the cone end on for now)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13126.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13127.jpg

Now attach the end cones

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13129.jpg

So that is the first section done. Next the "USA" section (which I have done in two parts for each tunnel) is made in the same way

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13130.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13128.jpg

The second photo above shows the length of the tunnel for the USA section.

So just need to continue with the two tunnels which should be straightforward

Regards

Kevin
Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.68 MB
Question Paper Modelers

Quote:
Dear all

The the 3D printed astronauts have had their overnight soak. I then left them to stand on kitchen roll for over a day. It took this long for them to stop leeching out water. Here is the result

Attachment 371389

Here are some close-up photos

Attachment 371390 Attachment 371391
Attachment 371392

As you can see the models still need to have all the "flash" removed but you can see all the support material is gone.

So after they have been cleaned up they just need painting. Will let you see how that comes out

Regards

Kevin
It's been a while since I logged in here. Wow, I really don't see what 3D printed items have to do with paper modeling.

Times have changed here I see. :(
-1:60 Scale Launch Umbilical Tower, and Milkstool.
Next Build:
1:60 Shuttle Stack and MLP

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v