PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-17-2019, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
You must read carefully. I never said the kit was illegal. And anybody can give as a gift any kit to a friend. That is NOT illegal I suggest you check this because in our country, it is not illegal to give a present to a friend.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
You were offering the kit without permission from the designer, which was something you were unable or unwilling to gather.
Now that you know the designer, you are trying to talk it straight, and act like everything is smoothed over.
And you never once mentioned sending this kit as a gift to anyone who requested it, that is not gift giving, it is illegally sharing a file outside of the designer's wishes.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-18-2019, 01:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
U-Don's LEM is a fantastic kit! It turns out beautiful. But if I ever do it again, I will print the windows on vellum.

My aborted 1:48 Saturn V first stage is along side. I couldn't prevent warping of the side walls of the stage so I trashed everything except the thrust structure:

And the odd F-1

Hi Becky

Your LM looks great. I am wondering if there is a space model you have not built?

Your F-1 engines are just crying out for a Saturn V to be part of. So just a thought, would you consider having another go at the Greelt Saturn V? Your models always look fantastic and I think it would make a great thread.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-18-2019, 02:51 AM

1/24 astronauts finished

Dear all

The latest thing I have done is decided to finish off the 3d printed astronauts a friend made me for the model. So they were like this (see previous posts for details)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13054.jpg

Using pictures (like these)

(from https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/A11NAAFlownSuit.html)

(from https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/a..._image_12.html)

as well as Ken West's "Astronauts on the Moon" model, which I own, I decided there were a number of features on the astronauts which I thought it would be nice to pick out. These were US flags on left shoulder and back pack. NASA insignia on back pack. Gold helmet visor. Grey gloves with blue finger tips. Blue moon boots and red and blue umbilical connectors.

For the flags and NASA insignia I decided to reduce the ones included in Ken West's (1/4 scale) model.

I notice people quite often ask in the forum how to work out what percentage to print out to change scale so for those curious here is one way to think about it.

I want to turn (some parts) of a 1/4 scale model into a 1/24 scale model
So "?" times (1/4) is equal to (1/24)
In other words "?" times (1/4) = (1/24).
(Multiplying both sides of that equation gives "?" = 4 times (1/24).
So using a calculator gives "?" is equal to 0.1666667

So this means if every length of the 1/4 scale model is multiplied by 0.16666667 then the resulting piece will be a 1/24 scale model.

To turn the "?" number into a percentage (%) then multiply "?" by 100 and then use the nearest whole number for your "percentage print value".
So in my case, 100 times "?" is 16.6666667 which "rounds" to the nearest whole number of 17.
To I print the 1/4 model at 17% to get a 1/24 model

So here are the "reduced parts"

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13290.jpg

which for me are tiny (the NASA insignia is 3 mm by 3 mm). However the quality of Ken's model is so good you can still clearly make out 50 stars on the US flags and the word NASA on the insignia

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13291.jpg

Here are the astronauts waiting to be "badged"

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13286.jpg

I just used Anita's tacky glue. Here are the Flags and NASA insignia on the astronauts

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13293.jpg

Next up was the gold visor. I really wanted to get a metallic look. However I hit a problem.These 3d printed objects are made in "layers" (a bit like some puzzles like shown below)

(from https://www.geekyhobbies.com/3d-scul...e-to-purchase/).

I discovered that paint would "track" along the grooves and so bleed into parts that it wasn't supposed to go into. It needed to be a certain viscosity to stop this but metallic paint was too runny. Then my wife had the great idea of using metallic nail varnish.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13303.jpg

Using a very very fine brush for the edges of the visor I found two coats sealed the groves preventing bleeding. Then I filled in the middle of the visor. Here is the result.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13300.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13299.jpg

As for the rest of the "highlights" (boots etc) I did some trials (see below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13302.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13301.jpg

So there were (at least) three problems. One was the level of printed detail was insufficient to pick out exactly and sharply where the boundaries of the "bit" was. So it just looked like a messy blob. Another was the managing to get coverage only where I wanted it (far too small for me). Finally at this size, when "painting" small areas you need "not too thick" paint (otherwise it is just a blob). So this raises the tracking problem again but also, the grooves fill up with paint whereas the "ridges" have virtually no paint on them. So the region looks "stripey". In trying to overcome this I just turned it into an ugly messy blob no matter what I tried. I thought this actually ruined the astronauts. So I decided to not do these bits. So they finished up with 2 US flags, a NASA insignia and a gold visor each.

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 03-18-2019 at 02:59 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
nice job do like them
Old 03-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Hi Becky

Your LM looks great. I am wondering if there is a space model you have not built?

Your F-1 engines are just crying out for a Saturn V to be part of. So just a thought, would you consider having another go at the Greelt Saturn V? Your models always look fantastic and I think it would make a great thread.

Regards

Kevin

Well, so far I've tried and messed up Niels Juno 2 booster 3 times this week! lol (Despite the fact I've built 7 others this week without major incidents! ) Currently I'm working on Leo's Tsyklon 3 and launcher that I printed YEARS ago and was too intimidated to build.... STILL trying to finish the Vanguard series....And Still intimidated by this thing:

But as a rule, and kidding aside, I'm trying to convert everything to 1:96 because of flooding and storage issues. Plus, we may be moving in the next few years and I doubt there will be room for such big models. Plus all my trains. Plus all my books. Plus all my movies. Plus all my music. Plus Disneyland....
Old 03-29-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
nice job do like them
Hi rifleman. I too like them. I think the designer (who is definately not me) did a really good job.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-29-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
Well, so far I've tried and messed up Niels Juno 2 booster 3 times this week! lol (Despite the fact I've built 7 others this week without major incidents! ) Currently I'm working on Leo's Tsyklon 3 and launcher that I printed YEARS ago and was too intimidated to build.... STILL trying to finish the Vanguard series....And Still intimidated by this thing:

But as a rule, and kidding aside, I'm trying to convert everything to 1:96 because of flooding and storage issues. Plus, we may be moving in the next few years and I doubt there will be room for such big models. Plus all my trains. Plus all my books. Plus all my movies. Plus all my music. Plus Disneyland....
Wow! I think you are going to need quite a while to organize everything. Your LM by Udon caught my eye. It looks really good and I would like to have a go at it someday. Thanks for sharing the picture

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 AM

Boxes and "cradles"

Dear all

I have not been able to progress the actual model recently for a couple of reasons. First is because of work. The second is because I have been spending what on building a secure "transport system for the model.

Some transportation boxes were made for the model. However these were just cuboid with no internal support for the rocket parts. It is making the internal support for inside these boxes I have been working on.

There are 4 custom made boxes, one box each for stage 1,2 and 3 and a fourth box for the two interstages, CM, SLA and IU. All the other parts are stored on standard off the shelf plastic boxes.

For stages 1,2 and 3 I needed to make "cradles" that sat in the bottom of the relevant box. Here is the stage 1 box cradle with rocket part.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13304.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13305.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13306.jpg

Next I had to made an "upper half" cradle

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13307.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13308.jpg

This is not really necessary if always keeping the box horizontal. However due to "space issues" the rocket parts in their boxes are being stored vertically. Also this is a better way to store the rocket (many thanks to mbauer for pointing this out)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13309.jpg

In the background you can see the other blue rocket boxes. For the two interstages, CM, SLA and IU I cut foam inserts to hold the parts in place. Picture shown below.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc13310.jpg

Finally the rocket is safely stored and safely transportable!

Now I can return to finishing off the model

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-30-2019, 01:58 AM

A proper stand

Dear all

Some really nice news is that someone has made a proper series of stands for the 1/24 model. It was tested out briefly the other day.

All the parts are made of wood. Also the various bit join together using dowels and magnets. Here are some pictures for those interested.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-img_20190321_111352.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-img_20190321_111401.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-img_20190321_111412.jpg

They have really done a wonderful job (it is so well designed and made) and (I think) makes the display look so much better.

This is really good since the rocket is having another "outing" for one day on April 11 at a "50th anniversary celebration of the first moon landing". Will try and get some better pictures then.

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v