PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-26-2018, 01:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 88.62 MB
I've been following this thread with great interest. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished model!
(I too have a fear of building my own cylinders. Every rocket I've made so far used a pre-made tube.)
Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Joe, your Gemini capsule really looks the business!

Wyvern
Old 01-27-2018, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Joe, your Gemini capsule really looks the business!

Wyvern
Thanks, Wyvern!. I colored the edges and now it looks even better.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:34 AM

OK, here’s the second attempt at the Orange Rescue body.
In the first picture, you can see I’ve mounted the paper to a s.ofnt.y heavier sheet. Came out nice and smooth
In the second picture, while hard to see you can see the tabs I added to each side so I can attach the capsule and the rear engine bulkhead.
In the third photo you can...oh wait, there is no third photo. That’s because all the careful work work up to this point on the orange Rescue body just completely didn’t work out and ended up in the trash.
Dissapointed and defeated at this point. i’ve done this many times, why isn’t It working out now? I used all my knowledge and tricks and it just went to crap.
Am printing out the third set of these pieces now but am going to take a break and really think about what/how to do it.
The paper is not heavy and the diameter is about 7 inches so there’s plenty to work with-it’s not like I’m trying to roll smaller tubes that can be difficult.
I’m certainly no master builder like so many here, but I have 4 models that really taxed my skills and frankly I think look great. What the heck has happened?
I’ll try again early next week after I’ve "come down" from my frustration.
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-799072a4-17bc-4fd2-bc7f-a62d6fda10f3.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-2af16d25-280d-4729-a69b-d3498843f63d.jpg  
Old 01-27-2018, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
There've been models I had to take a break from, so I know where you're coming from....

One question -- Why are you laminating the orange piece to a heavier sheet? I've never found rolling laminated pieces to work. When you roll it into a cylinder, the papers need to be different sizes (the inner sheet's diameter is less than the outer sheet) but they can't move because they are laminated.

Also, I'd recommend that the only tab you attach before rolling is the piece that joins the two edges that make the cylinder. Once you've got the cylinder made, you can glue in the other attachment strips. I'd also glue a circular former (from something like cereal-box cardboard into each end of the cylinder to keep it round. Between that and shaping the skin (what do you use to pre-roll the piece?) I find I can get a decent cylinder.

Keep at it. You'll get it.
Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2018, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granitewhite View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished model!
(I too have a fear of building my own cylinders. Every rocket I've made so far used a pre-made tube.)
With me it's cones. Especially the teeny tiny vernier engines and RCS. I want to rebuild Leo's r-7's from 1:48 down to 1:96 but I'm dreading all those nozzles!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
There've been models I had to take a break from, so I know where you're coming from....

One question -- Why are you laminating the orange piece to a heavier sheet? I've never found rolling laminated pieces to work. When you roll it into a cylinder, the papers need to be different sizes (the inner sheet's diameter is less than the outer sheet) but they can't move because they are laminated.

Also, I'd recommend that the only tab you attach before rolling is the piece that joins the two edges that make the cylinder. Once you've got the cylinder made, you can glue in the other attachment strips. I'd also glue a circular former (from something like cereal-box cardboard into each end of the cylinder to keep it round. Between that and shaping the skin (what do you use to pre-roll the piece?) I find I can get a decent cylinder.

Keep at it. You'll get it.

Exactly... I think the laminating is the problem... If you want to beef it up, cut another thicker card pattern and roll it separately and fit it INSIDE the cone AFTER the "outer skin" is done...

Later! OL J R: )
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-lukeskywalkerlike.jpg  
Old 01-28-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker View Post
Exactly... I think the laminating is the problem... If you want to beef it up, cut another thicker card pattern and roll it separately and fit it INSIDE the cone AFTER the "outer skin" is done...

Later! OL J R: )
To answer both, i’ve Frequently laminated and rolled tubes with no problem, especially at this diameter. The printed stock seemed a little light so oi seemed the way to go.

I had considered rolling an inside cylinder and attaching after the outer was complete. I may do that with a combination of a circular support insert at either end.

If nothing else. I was able to locate sheets of the Cello-Mount double sided permanent adhesive the I’ve used successfully since 1979. I am going to order a sheet. Have printed out the new orange Rescue panels. Now will wait for Cello-Mount.

The capsule itself came out fine. And now that I’ve colored the edges I think it looks quire good.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Just joined this site and found your project underway! Very cool. Wish I had a printer to handle the larger sheets!
I just finished the Delta 7 Gemini 4. Love the detail and the open half cockpit!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:35 AM

Rescue Module

Finally some positive progress.
Module is a perfect cylinder. Received and used the permanent double-sided adhesive strips on the straight edges and to attach the tab strips.
Cut, fit and glued three, 1/4" foam-cor supports inside for added strength.
After the glue sets overnight I"ll see about attaching the capsule tomorrow but frankly the next handful of days are pretty busy.
Happy with this now and the Test fits of the capsule and engine bulkhead look good.

JoeG
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-45188a33-8519-48f0-9c6e-21965737f7c2.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-ef5c3d40-ca8a-4010-911c-2b237f965aa8.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-bb5ceb8c-dda1-41f3-babc-6de71965ad04.jpg