PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
when rolling tubes with the shown method be careful, some aluminum or metal tubes will actually leave oxidation on your paper which depending on the thickness of the paper can discolor it.

I have a selection of hardwood rods (dowels) with different diameters that I use, they never leave oxidation.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright54 View Post
JoeG
Wanted to show the benefits of your tutorial. This is the Delta 7 Friendship Seven Atlas-Mercury. MUCH easier and MUCH happier with my results!
David
Beautiful results! Nice builds.

JoeG
Old 02-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltedfalcon View Post
when rolling tubes with the shown method be careful, some aluminum or metal tubes will actually leave oxidation on your paper which depending on the thickness of the paper can discolor it.

I have a selection of hardwood rods (dowels) with different diameters that I use, they never leave oxidation.
Good point especially if rolling the opposite side.

JoeG
Old 02-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
David, here’re some pictures showing dolling a circle or tube (cone next up). It really is easy.
Just remember, if you use a knife handle REMOVE THE BLADE before using it as a roller. Depending on how large the piece is or how much it needs to be curved will help you determine how large a diameter rounded tool you will need to use.

1. Knife for rolling, the piece to be rolled, and the foam mousepad.
2. The piece place face down on the mousepad with the knife handle for rolling/pressing.
3. Start sliding the handle back and forth across the piece pressing gently. The piece will start to curve.
4. Still being gentle, increase the pressure on the knife handle a little at a time as you continue to slide it back and forth.
5. Eventually you will achieve the required curving of the piece to make glueing and fitting easier and neater.

JoeG
Good tip, but an assortment of various size hardwood dowels and the rounded end (opposite the pen tip/cap) of a Sharpie marker is a lot handier than the knife handle IMHO... That's what I use and what Dr. Zooch provides in his Saturn IB rocket kits for rolling those 8 little propellant tanks on the first stage, which are made in the exact same process you showed...

Later! OL J R
Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
David, here’s how I do conical forms. Very similar to the circles or tubes, but you need to pivot the tool while using it. Again, if you use a knife, remove the blade first.

1. Tool, piece to be formed and foam mousepad.
2. Model piece face down on mousepad.
3. Tool being slid and pressed over model piece. Note it needs to be pivoted so the inner roll is smaller and outer roll larger.
4. Slowly and carefully increase the pressure of the tool so the piece curves more. Maintain a pivot point.
5. Eventually you’ll get a very curved piece to help glue into final shape.

For the really small thruster nozzles on the Gemini Rescue Vehicle, I started with the X-Acto handle just to get the curve going, then switched to a finishing nail with its small diameter to get a really tight roll.

Hope this helps. Others may have their own input oh how they do II.

JoeG
Tips of bamboo skewers from the grocery store work well for shaping small nozzle cones around as well, various size/tapered ends of old pens and pencils also work well for this. Dowels can also be run through a pencil sharpener to taper one end down to the required size/shape, and can be sanded down to change angles if necessary on a sheet of sandpaper by holding them at the desired angle and rotating them gently in your hand as you sand the tip back and forth across the sandpaper sheet on a tabletop.

Used these tools/methods many times making tiny paper escape rocket nozzles for various flying model rockets (mostly by Dr. Zooch Rockets).

Later! OL J R
Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Some pics...

I use some "modified" surgical hemostats as clamps for holding paper components (like rocket nozzles) held during gluing... keep them from "springing apart" and flattening out or "slipping" (the seam spreading and the resulting cone being the wrong angle) before the glue finally sets up and holds fast... Plus, the hemostats exert pressure on the joint and make it thinner than it would otherwise be. A little finessing when the part is done by putting the part over an appropriately sized/shaped pencil or pen tip or old mechanical pencil or a bamboo skewer or whatever, and then gently rubbing the glue joint area with the side of a pen, knitting needle, or even knife handle (be careful of deposits as someone else mentioned) and the seam will 'relax' a bit and round out very nicely.

I modified the hemostat jaws by grinding or filing the serrations out of the jaws, so they are SMOOTH instead of grooved... I had a shop grinder so a few careful passes across the grinding stone too them right off down to smooth, shiny metal. One could also use a dremel tool or even a hand file to do this work if one doesn't have the power tools available...

Some pics of the results...

OL J R
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-052.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-053.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-082.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-078.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-079.jpg  

Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-080.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-084.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-090.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-091.jpg   Blue Gemini Rescue Vehicle - Delta 7 Studios-101.jpg  

Old 02-16-2018, 02:57 PM

There’s an endless supply of different instruments that can be used. The builder will eventually settle on their favorites which work best for them.
The wood dowels are inexpesiv and easy to obtain, however I don’t car for them myself.
This was a basic tutorial to help someone get started with rolling tubes and cones and his results were excellent.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
At least until they find their new favorite.