PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-11-2018, 11:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.12 MB
Thank you Space X!

(Rant on) I am old enough to remember the Apollo program and Walter Cronkite with his plastic models he used to describe the different maneuvers NASA was doing. I can also remember my slowly decaying enthusiasm as year after year NASA would scale back and scale back and scale back and scale back... sigh. I can also remember a time when I thought Space Odessy and Space 1999 would come true. Sigh.....

I live in Central Florida and get to see most launches from the Cape from my bedroom window. At least after about T +15 seconds. I have watched most shuttle launches and many Boeing launches from my home. My great disappointment was watching the end of the shuttle launch era. Such high hopes for the Shuttle at the beginning. Sigh... (Rant over)

However it was an unmitigated joy to watch SpaceX launch Falcon Heavy into space! Who else but an American would launch a sports car into space for Pete's sake!

Anyway, all that to say, I have decided after years out of the modeling hobby that I know what I will start building again. Space vehicles and launch equipment and capsules etc. Sorry no Dodo birds. Now a question for you'all...Where to start? I have experience with model building (plastic) and can work a pretty complicated model with care and time. However no experience with paper. The free models I have seen online are all over the place as far as seeming quality parts and of instruction especially. I would prefer purchasing a download pattern as opposed to a whole kit. (or free). And would like something moderately detailed. Not looking for a one page toy.

Thanks ahead of time. Probably to much information. Its late. I'm tired. No coffee...sigh.
Google Adsense
Old 02-12-2018, 01:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.18 GB
From one old space enthusiast to another, I feel for you. If you're looking at getting the best experience while sharpening your space program skills, look at Delta Seven Studios. They cover the Mercury and Gemini projects in excellent detail and offer several different subjects at good prices.

Karl
Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 AM

Thank you Karl. I put Delta Seven Studios in my favorites. I love the historic focus of their models. We are coming up on 50 years for Apollo 11. Plus I have such close access to Canaveral and Titusvile so I need to start using their resources as well. Long tape measure for 1:1 Saturn V measurements however. (I think they have one at the visitors center).

There is sooooo much information on the internet, my brain wants to explode. I think sometimes too much information. In my high school model building days, "research" was the library card catalog, mail order catalogs, and the yellow pages with a good local hobby store clerk.

That is why these forums are so important. They have the human element of information gathering which mitigates the overwhelming amount of raw data out there. In other words, you all are my new local hobby store clerks.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
I guess I’m a little older than you because I remember space launches from day one. The Mercury launches and on from there. I too was disappointed by watching NASA scale back time and time again.
Some of the greatest thrills of my life was meeting some of the original Mercury seven over the years.
I went to college in Melbourne, Fl. And recal all to well going up to the cape to watch some launches, great times. Haven’t seen a launch in person in many many years, my turn to sigh!!!
Anyway. Why not start off building just as the space program did. Start with the Mercury capsule, move into the Gemini, then Apollo and so on. Why not go crazy and throw a Sputnik innthere as well. Maybe not be part of the US space program, but pretty historic as well.

And side note.
I was wondering if anyone has seen my little red Tesla sports coupe. I was down at Cqpe Kennedy a week or so ago and parked it in the parking lot. When I came back it was gone. Can’t seem to locate it anywhere. Has anyone seen it??
Old 02-12-2018, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.92 MB
Falcon Heavy with payload 1:100 is the best choice :D
Google Adsense
Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogopher1 View Post
Who else but an American would launch a sports car into space for Pete's sake!
Elon Musk is South African...

but I get your point. lol
Old 02-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Elon Musk is South African...

but I get your point. lol
So was Mark Shuttleworth. The second paying space tourist to the ISS.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Wow... Well there is an assumption that came back and bit me in the butt... See what happens when I open my mouth without research. Anyway, thank you for understanding my underlying thought (if it is still valid). hmmmm

Either way, we humans are going up and out again. I like that. I also like the idea of making progressive models of spaceflight history starting maybe with Goddard's little rocket and ending with Falcon Heavy or BFR. Or by the time I make all those models, we will be flying warp drive.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 228.85 MB
Hi Astrogopher1

This weekend I started with my first rocket too.

Falcon Heavy with payload roadster

Helmut
Old 02-12-2018, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrogopher1 View Post
In my high school model building days, "research" was the library card catalog
Yeah, I'm hip. I spent hours upon hours searching through card catalogs and then the unbelievably narrow aisles in "the stacks" for info on many subjects back in the 80's. And I usually ended up taking out the same books over and over. Especially if they had those one or two (if I was lucky) photos of Soviet R-7 boosters. They always intrigued me, partly because the whole Soviet program was veiled in secrecy, but also (as I've come to recognize), a certain amount of downplay by the U.S. government. Nothing new or wrong about that, show me a government that doesn't promote it's citizen's accomplishments above those of other nations. I just understand now that I was oblivious to it!

Back to the modeling, I recommend your first step should be deciding on a scale to use. Bigger IS easier when it comes to card modeling but a 1:48 Saturn V is about 7 1/2 feet tall. Conversely a 1:96 Goddard Rocket is going to be difficult to roll if the paper is much thicker than 20lb.

There are A LOT of download-print-build paper models on the net. These guys can tell you where to find things you never knew existed and they'll blow your mind at what they've done with plain old paper!
Google Adsense