PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-04-2018, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
The patterns for the UIT, OSP, IRS, and co-axial mount are in 1-144 scale so the finished model can fit into AXM’s model of the Endeavour. It may look like a lot of wasted space but the extra wide margins allow the patterns to be resized 144% to fit into Fortezza’s 1:100 scale model of the Endeavour and even 200% for 1:72 scale models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf STS-67 ASTRO-2 1-144 scale page3.pdf (41.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf STS-67 ASTRO-2 1-144 scale page4.pdf (4.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-05-2018, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
nice little project
Old 03-06-2018, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
Excellent work and a fascinating project...both the mission and model wise..thank you
Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM

The Instrument Pointing System (IPS) was a challenge to design because I had to work from photographs of the forward end taken from the crew module. I still have no idea what the aft end looked like because I could not find any photos. The task of the ISP was to elevate the telescopes into the upright deployed position and to lower them back down into the stowed position so the cargo bay doors could close when it came time bring the shuttle back to earth. The first step is to build the roll drive and cross elevation arm. After many trials and errors, I finally arrived at a design that would work for both 1:000 scale (Fortezza) and 1:144 scale (AXM) models of the space shuttle. I tried to roll paper into an axle, but the arm would have a 3.5 mm cross section which is too wide in 1:144 scale. Instead, the solution was to use a sewing pin with a 1.5 mm or less diameter head for the axle. The next step is to build the cross-elevation drive.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-32-roll-drive-parts.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-33-cross-elevaton-arm.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-34-roll-drive.jpg  
Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 AM

The (inside) cross elevation arm (part 111) is attached to the elevation drive (part 118) with a hidden sewing pin which means working from the inside out. Once again, the sewing pin goes through a couple of washers (parts 121) and is cut off slightly above the washers. A drop of super glue will (hopefully) bind the washers to the end of the sewing pin and form a rivet head.

Assembling the elevation drive is like building a wheel except the axle has to be reinforced with part 120 so it does not collapse when the elevation drive placed on the gimbal stand.

After part 118 is rolled into a cylinder and the 2 faces (parts 121) attached, the inside of the cross elevation arm (part 111) can be folded and glued inside the elevation arm assembly (part 110).

The gimbal stand is made of 5 parts so that the 4 corners are double thickness so it can (hopefully) support the weight of the UV telescopes.

Finally, another sewing pin is used for the elevation drive axle. Again, the sewing pin goes through a couple of washers (parts 128) and is cut off slightly above the washers. A drop of super glue will bind the washers to the end of the sewing pin so the sewing cannot work its way out of the axle.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-35-cross-elevation-axle.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-36-elevation-drive-parts.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-37-elevation-cross-elevation-roll.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-38-gimbal-legs.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-39-gimbal.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2018, 04:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Wonderful model and explanations. Really enjoying it. Thanks for sharing your progress

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-26-2018, 11:48 AM

Thank you for your kind words. ASTRO-2 or STS-67 took much longer to complete that I originally thought. Doesn’t help there are over a hundred small parts, some only 0.5 mm wide in 1:144 scale. Work starting in February and now it is almost December. The ISP including the gimbal is finally done and mounted on a pallet. But there is still more part to work on. There are brackets to secure and lock down the UV telescopes and ISP during launch and during the flight back to earth. The pallet itself has to be secured to the space shuttle cargo bay. Then there are all of the power distribution boxes in addition to the Igloo. Finally, to complete the STS-67 mission, there are 2 GAS canisters that has to be modeled. For now, remember that the circular base of the ISP has a “flat spot” which is the “down” side when the ISP is in the launch or stowed position.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-40-roll-damper-device-6056.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-41-gimbal-legs.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-42-gimbal.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-43-outer-brakcet-6061.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-44-gimbal-bracket.jpg  

STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-45-isp-base-parts.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-46-isp-base.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-47-isp-pallet.jpg  
Old 12-09-2018, 08:18 PM

The payload clamps, i.e. the retention devices used to secure the UV telescopes to the pallet during launch and upon re-entry to earth, were very difficult to build. I had to use photos of a model in the National Air and Space Museum because I couldn’t find any photos of the real thing. Anyway, the pallet is about a third complete. Next are the lateral retention devices followed by the electrical support boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-47-isp-pallet.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-48-side-brackets.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-49-pallet-keel-retention-device.jpg  
Old 12-10-2018, 10:43 PM

After some trial and error, I think I finally have a design for the lateral retention device that will work in both 1/100 and 1/144 scale. I gave trying to glue 3 separate 1/144 scale hydraulic cylinders to the lateral retention device. Instead, I settled on a one piece design (part 170) so all the cylinders would stay in the correct alignment with each other and the assembly would be easier to maneuver into place with forceps. The difficult parts of the model are now completed. The remaining electrical support boxes and STS-67 mission specific canisters and modules will be “easy” in comparison: straight lines, square corners, more than 2 mm in size, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-50-pallet-lateral-retention-devices.jpg  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:07 PM

All of the electrical support boxes successfully went into place without incident. For a while it appeared that Part 146-147-148 on the IPS gimbal was at risk of being broken off. With all of the electrical support boxes and the igloo attached to the pallet, the telescope can now be attached to the ISP without the fear of the telescopes getting damaged. Some details to remember: the circular base of the ISP has a cutout and a “flat spot” which is the bottom in the stowed position. Likewise, WUPPE and the OSP-IRS assembly is also on the bottom when stowed as in the attached photo. I did not paint any of the cables on the pallet simply because I could only see short sections here and there in the photos but had no idea where the cables began or where they ended. All that is left to do is the STS-67 mission specific GAS canisters and the EDO.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-51-forward-electrical-support-boxes.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-52-aft-electrical-support-boxes.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-sts-67-pallet-sts-35.jpg  
Google Adsense