PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
After 10 months, the STS-67 is finally done, complete with GAS (Get Away Special) canisters and EDO (Extended Duration). In the stowed position, WUPPE and the OSP is on the bottom. All 5 trunnions should mate with their respective retention devices. I am guessing from the hydraulic cylinders, the retention devices slide forwards to lock the trunnions. Like I said, I am guessing because I could not find any information on the internet. The Ku band antenna and dish should be rotated inward so it doesn’t stick out preventing the cargo bay doors from closing.

In the deployed or elevated position along the X-axis (fore-aft), the ISP can ‘roll’ on the Y-axis so that any of the 3 telescopes can seen from the crew module (see attached photos). The ISP can also tilt to the left or right of the cargo bay center line (Z-axis, see attached photos). In the deployed position the Ku band antenna will swing out and the dish can face any direction. Most photos showing the Ku band antenna deployed were taken from the ISS (International Space Station) when the Ku band antenna was facing forward to function as a radar for docking purposes. Because STS-35 and STS-67 did not take selfies with the Canadarm, I am guessing the antenna dish was facing the nearest TDRS (tracking and data relay) satellite in order to relay data back to earth.

If anyone is planning to use this model for other space shuttle missions, the ISP was also used on STS-35 and STS-51F but on the latter mission the ISP gimbal stand was installed so the STS-51F infrared telescope (IRT) folded down toward the crew module whereas the UV telescopes folded down toward the tail. The UV telescopes (WUPPE, HUT, UIT) also flew on STS-35. STS-35 had 4 electrical support boxes on the forward end of the pallet where was STS-67 only had 3. I am guessing the 4th electrical support box was for the BBXRT telescope which was not flown on STS-67. I don’t know what other equipment was installed on the pallet to support the STS-51F IRT telescope other than the retention devices was a simpler design from STS-35 and STS-67 because the solar telescope only 3 trunnions.

As a way of giving back to the paper modeling community, I will posting all of the instructions and patterns to the download section. If anyone finds any errors, let me know and I will post revisions.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-53-stowed-gas-edo.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-54-deployed.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-sts-67_10.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-ips-irs-osp-sts-35_astro-1.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-wuppe-3.7m-len-x-79-cm-dia-sts-35.jpg  

STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-uit-attach-points-sts-35.jpg  
Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
Thank you....I look forward to seeing it when posted...
Old 12-16-2018, 02:41 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
the files have been approved
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-24-2018, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.67 MB
Just caught up with your thread. WOW, amazing work. Bravo!

I never finish anyth
Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 MB
Thanks for sharing. I remember this payload when it flew, and it looks like a fascinating scale build. Just getting into building the AXM Orbiters, I might go right into an open bay ENDEAVOUR to have something to mount this in.
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
I found an error on page 8 of the patterns. It affects only the 1-144 scale cargo bay where (a) the unpainted part of the cargo bay side walls are upside down and (b) the forward port side cables are too "fat". (you should see 4 individual cables, not a thick bundle).

I haven't figured out how to add a the revision to the download page so I will post it here.

The original version will fit into the AXM 1-144 scale model with some trimming. Trim the forward end of the unpainted side walls so when you slide or insert the cargo bay into the "payload bay box" the upper edge of the payload bay (patterns page 8) lines up with the markings on the interior of the "payload bay box" ("stsgeneral.pdf" from AXM Paper Space Scale Models.com - Space Shuttles, ISS and more paper rockets).

If you have already built the model and want to correct the "fat' cables, I would print the new "thin" cables on plain 21 lb (90 gsm) paper and paste it over the old cables like a decal.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-cargo-bay-1-144-scale-6228.jpg   STS-67 ASTRO-2 UV observatory-correct-1-144-scale-cargo-bay-pattern.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf STS-67 cargo bay 1-144 and 1-100 scale page8 ver2.pdf (1.70 MB, 11 views)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 MB
This looks like a really great payload. Looking forward to starting one for myself.