PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-09-2021, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 592.55 MB
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!

As the title says, I made all the models of the space shuttle, (except the pathfinder) in what seems to me, the most "differentiated" brands and paintings. Each shuttle has a "something different" that makes it unique.

for this I had to review the reading PDF of Alfonso Moreno axm "External Tank & Solid Rocket Boosters External Markings" and "Space Shuttle External Markings" where all the differences are detailed and thus be able to choose the most "different", "unique" and "representative" for each model.

I made 6 SHUTTLES, and 1 STACK (external tank ET, plus SRBs) (originally my plan was to make 2 stacks, one "white sts-1 style" and the other "traditional orange")

objective
My goal was to have all the models plus their stacks, in BEAST MODE, I mean, in the most colorful and unique versions ... without taking into account the historical REALISM ... here there is NOT a stack for each shuttle and each mission , ... here is only the ET and the SRB with MORE "marks" and more showy than axm did .... along with the 6 most characteristic shuttles (the shuttles were NOT MODIFIED, they are the originals of a specific mission).

in the following configurations:

OV-101 ENTERPRISE "ORIGINAL BRANDS ALT Tests"
This version of the Enterprise is the original, the most "different" from all the other shuttle, for having
-many blank areas, in the nose, or pods, and tail wing ...
-not have thermal tiles, and have gray "simulated" engines (makes it look a very different model from all the others)
-Additionally, it includes the exhaust outlets of the ejectable seats. and it has the name on the loading bay.
-and includes the original vertical tail wing ... without the output of the braking parachute.

..ideal for simulating the ALT-16 TEST

OV-102 COLUMBIA "3 MODIFICATION" STS-9
specifically THIS version of the columbia is:
-It's the LAST to have the ejection seat exhaust outlets .... (and the last shuttle in this collection to have them)
-the LAST one to have the name in the loading bay,
-and the one that includes all the modifications from the sts-1 (that is, it is almost identical to the sts-1) .... ((After this mission, the columbia had great modifications, which move it away from the "sts-style- 1 "... they added the SILT on the vertical fin, the SEADS on the nose, and the name will be placed near the windows))
-includes the famous and characteristic black edged wings of the columbia
-It is the most "old style" shuttle before incorporating the USA patches and the flag, the "meatball" logo of NASA.
- Includes the original vertical wing fin ... without the output of the braking parachute. and its unique thermal tile markings on the fin.
-includes the old OMS PODS with almost no markings (only one line)

... ideal for simulating the first SPACELAB mission with john young and garriot.

OV-099 CHALLENGER "LAST MODIFICATION" 41G-51B-51F-61A- and 51L (lost)

in this version of the challenger ... I chose the 41G version:
- Being the last modification, it includes all the details added to this ship since the first modification.
- and being the 41G version it includes the black marks in the OMS PODS, which has NO other mission
- also, as ONLY those brands are the ONLY difference between the other missions ... it is almost identical to the 51L (last mission-lost)
- includes the original vertical fin ... without the exit of the brake parachute. and its unique brands of thermal tiles in the drift.
-includes the new flags and logos and names in the "traditional" style. (name on the nose)

... ideal to simulate the (also) mission 51G, which flew Fullerton in a very dangerous ABORT TO ORBIT mission, carrying a telescope, and carrying the space cans of Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

(From now on, between discovery, atlantis and endeavor ... it became VERY difficult to have unique models, almost all of them look alike ... even so ... I managed to find the most characteristic ones)

OV-103 DISCOVERY "8 MODIFICATION" STS-82-85-91
(This one was difficult, I chose the most MARKED AND STAINED version ... to contrast it with the atlantis)

this version of discovery includes
-It is the first with the vertical fin modified to have the braking parachute
-It is the most "stained" version, its wings have an orange thermal coating
-also includes the wings with white thermal tiles prior to the flaps.
-and includes the "freckle", the black thermal tile that is under the windows ... unique from the discovery
-it has the marks of the bay characteristic of discovery (more sinuous)
-has all the modifications and updates since the 1st modification.
-has the traditional "style" of logos (flags and names)

.... ideal for simulating the hubble telescope repair mission sts-82

OV-104 ATLANTIS "4 MODIFICATION" STS-66-71-74-76-79-81-84-86
(This was difficult, here I chose the WHITER AND SIMPLE and traditional version, and at the same time the most CONTRASTED (Black and White) ... to differentiate it with the discovery)
this version includes:
-all previous modifications of the other shuttle: vertical wing fin with parachute,
-and all previous modifications of the atlantis from modification 1 to 4
-It is the last modification that includes the traditional logos, flags and names on the wings. prior to "modern" mods (for endeavour leave that)
-includes the black thermal tiles on the wings (above the flaps)
-As I said above, it is the most "classic" version of the shuttle, white, without "anything unusual or unique" and the most contrasted. (different from old columbia, spotted discovery, and (explosive) and unique challenger)
It is the most black and white, and the most typical and well-known shuttle style. it has "nothing weird or unique". simple and straightforward. (and contrasted)

... ideal for simulating ALMOST all missions with the MIR, especially sts-84 that took commander collins into space.

OV-105 ENDEAVOUR "3 MODIFICATION" STS-88-99-97-100-108-111-118-123-126-127-130-134

of course ... to endeavour I left the task of looking like the most modern versions (in brands and paints) of the 6 shuttles made
this includes:
-includes all previous enhancements and modifications of the endeavor
-has vertical wing fin with parachute
-It is the most "stained" version with orange on its wings
-bring out the white thermal tiles on the wings (above the flaps)
-and finally .... brings the NASA logo "meatloaf-meatball" everywhere.

This style is the newest of all the shuttles .... (the other shuttles also carried them, but I chose THIS one, as the most modern)

... ideal for carrying ISS pieces, such as "cupola and tranquility" on the sts-130, ... or the only NO iss mission, the sts-99.

also ... each shuttle has a unique pattern of lines, they are very thin but you can see them, some cross the logos of the wings, and there are also many differences of lines in the cargo bay, from the simple of the columbia to the discovery complex .
... and in the upper cockpit windows (the upper even windows) they also have differences in the line markings that surround them.

In these models I included the lower wings, I mean its thermal shield, as if it were new, unused and highly contrasted. (the "belly", made as an alternate version of axm ... made by HIM)
I included details (patterns) of markings on the unique engine mounts.(made by me)
and use the "improved" windows with the included rivets (keeping the realism of your mission) (by axm)

ET and SRB

I originally wanted to make 2 stacks (one STS-1 style all white ... and another traditional orange style) but my lack of money and time made me choose only the traditional orange version.
for the et and the srb ... I chose the BEAST MODE, the most attractive and "marked" mode (with many lines, marks, and things) ... so I FUSION models.

the ET is from MISSION STS-9

This External Tank is the "traditional" version, (stack 1c) that includes the upper light orange stain, and 2 orange horisontal stripes that do NOT have anyone else. It is the ET with more marks-lines. From stack 3 they have a black tip, and from stack 4 the orange is very clear, and increasingly "boring" without small details. the latest ET models are very boring, they have almost no markings. (It is NOT the fault of the axm moreno, he made an excellent model, rather it is the fault of NASA by making them efficient and without marks)

SRBs are from MISSION STS-41G
(or any between 41D, 41G, 51A, and 51C)
these srb are the ones that bring more black and white marks. Before them, the top cones were VERY white.
These models (41g) include the characteristic black markings on the cones and on the sides (like squares) similar to the Saturn V. The srb that came later were increasingly simple in design and brands making them visually boring (it is NOT the fault of axm moreno, he made an excellent model, rather it is the fault of nasa by making them efficient and without marks)

construction

the interior structures and some pieces were on RECYCLED paper (which already has writing on the back, or printed on the back)
(I'm too poor to waste paper) :(

They were also made with very thin paper (80 grams) (reused) because I can hardly afford to pay for the printing. so the technique to give it HARDNESS, WAS GLUED LAYERS AND LAYERS OF PAPER to EACH PIECE ... depending on the size. (an interior structure like the bay needs 3 layers of 80 gram paper) (and a small piece like the OMS POD or the windows only 1 more layer)

I know that it is not the most recommended assembly system (I think it is the worst) because you can make the paper "wavy" or stained (by the thin paper or by the paper with writing on the back) ... in addition to using a lot of glue for each layer .... and what bothered me the most: the long drying time (many days ... for many pieces)
... also I had to "crush" each and every one of the pieces (with very heavy books, maybe 30 kilograms) to be able to leave them FLAT and straight (so they don't get wavy because of the wet glue). they were led to be "crushed" JUST hit them ... so they didn't have time to get wavy. This brought as a problem that I had neither TIME nor SPACE to continue gluing layers and assembling pieces. I had to wait until the "crusher" dried and straightened the piece ... to be able to continue the next (it took me several weeks)

when I finally had all the pieces DRY, straight (flat) and with the correct thickness, I went to the assembly

... and the construction of the models was in the "ASSEMBLY LINE" STYLE:

we usually only build ONE model and that's it. IN MY CASE, when I made 6 models, I MADE THEM ALL AT THE SAME TIME, piece BY piece, IN EACH MODEL ....
This helped me VERY MUCH so that in the next model, I had the best "approximation" (because I already learned it from the previous model).
Each mockup was made at the same time as the others ... so I finished all of them at the same time. (I put the last piece of each model at the same time)

The ONLY MODEL that I made first (and complete) was the ENTERPRISE, to gather ALL THE INFORMATION on the construction and obtain ALL THE POSSIBLE EXPERIENCE, thus the other models, include the LEARNED improvements. (That's why enterprise has a unique "I don't know what" that makes it different and special for me)

Last important detail: the union between the SRB and the ET, I had to modify it. I really couldn't understand how one tiny piece can join two VERY HEAVY pieces (srbs with et). I mean, my ET and the SRBs made by me are HEAVY (a lot of paper, rigid) and cannot be supported together with very small pieces ... so I had to INVENT some bigger "unions" ... and UGLY.
(There is more I want to say ... but for later)

assembly time
Before, when I wandered, I had all the time available to build any model that I wanted, even the most difficult could be put together in a matter of 1 month. the easiest in days or hours. (early from sunrise to dawn ... it wouldn't stop)
It so happened that I got a job (which is time consuming), I got responsibilities at home, a family member became seriously ill, all in a matter of a few months (including the closure of the pandemic ... although for me I always lived on "paid vacations for life" it still affected me) ... and I was VERY discouraged, even now bordering on. (many drastic changes in a short time) ... it only remains to fight and fight. (There were moments when I wanted to throw everything away, or trample them, nothing encouraged me, as the wise man said "everything is vanity and chasing the wind",it was the same to have this as not to have it, worse, nothing that I built... They would hug me, they would just stay there. still.
Lesson: make the most of life time, with family and company, more importantly, helping others, which is what "fills" me the most.

at that stage ... that's where I started to put together the models ... I barely had an hour or 2 per day (sometimes only minutes). My total assembly time of the 6 models plus the stack was from the beginning of September to November 7 (2021). one hour per day. (weekends, many more hours)

problems
there were several ...
1st- in my poor situation, I ALWAYS used the cheapest paper glue (white), I used it for years, so much so that it was very wise to handle the drying time, the handling when applying the glue. I knew him very well. (I could modify the union of pieces before drying)
For THESE models I decided to use a glue that many "recommend", which in my region is expensive to pay, so I decided to pay a little more and bought ELMER glue (the one from the "cow") .... SERIOUS ERROR.
ELMER: I don't know if it's good or bad ... (I suppose it's very good) but I'm SO unaccustomed to this glue that it cost me a lot to master it ..... the drying time is incredibly FAST ... almost instantaneous, it doesn't stop modify the union, it does not allow the foot to move, ... and the worst, the glue dries like PLASTIC, not like adhesive rubber
I explain: my old and reliable glue dried like an adhesive rubber between papers, if you stained it was difficult to remove it. but you could while this wet modify the union. ELMER dries instantly, and dries like hard plastic, leaves residues like paint chips ... on all sides ... and the pieces leave them rigid (having layers of paper inside it remains rigid and brittle. In the other glue it remains soft the paper to fold it easily)

..the mistake was mine, to use a very different glue from the one I know in a very large project ... without prior knowledge. LESSON: always use the glue you know the most.

2nd- the pieces provided by AXM moreno .... (It seems controversial or I criticize what I am going to say but it is not) (it is my favorite shuttle, without a doubt I would do them again)
It happens that even the instructions lack data to be able to assemble the pieces well ... (or I don't have neurons) it even seems that they don't bring any more "aids" to be able to join pieces.
I explain:
-the INTERIOR structure of the cargo bay does not match in size to the deck of the bay (exterior) ... it is bigger ... much bigger ... left over.
-the wings, were the biggest headache FOR ME, they don't match any with their wing edges. If I hit from the base of the FLAPS up (to the wing root) there is excess paper on the outer edge of the wing ... also the angle of the flaps (of the belly) does not coincide with that of the wings in any way. in some models (almost all) I had to glue the wing a few millimeters outside the wing (belly). the "belly" that forms in the middle is VERY exaggerated in my models.

-the vertical fin wing: this was a problem for me, the vertical wing (like any other plane) has a very small GLUE surface ... the union is very fragile, and it tends to be twisted. It is also a very "millimeter" piece in exactitude ... I simply made a HOLE IN THE BASE (of the motors), and I put inside glue fins to the vertical wing ... so the foot is firmly grasped and very vertical .

-the union between motors and its structure ... there is no instruction on how to assemble it. I simply made some "teeth" to the cones that hold the engines on both sides ... to hold onto the structure and the engines.

-the flap of the shuttle body (below the motors) has a very small gluing surface ... I solve it ... by cutting the base of the motor structure ... and joining the entire flap to it. as a single whole piece (layers and layers of paper). then I attached this to the body.

and a long etc of pieces that do not have aids (fastening fins), or pieces that could have been made more "accessible" to assemble, it is not a problem, it seems that AXM left us some freedom to be able to do it as we like, And don't be so "scripted".

before finishing I want to talk about some topics about papercraft in general

- unfortunately, to use as little paper as possible ... I like that as many pieces go into the least amount of sheets ... without logos or spacious "squares". at the end of the whole project gather a lot of cut "empty" paper that has no usefulness.

-This is not a criticism of AXM Alfonso Moreno (it is my favorite shuttle, without a doubt I would do it again) or any other creator. I speak in general of paper and materials:
I just wanted to emphasize that I am not an expert in paper mockups, on my best day, with the best effort, I barely get to 7.5 / 10 or 8. especially in small pieces ... I can't with so much detail AND MUCH LESS WITH PROLIGITY, AND ACCURACY. I only have "regular".
something very annoying for me are EXTREMELY SMALL GLUE FINS ... they just fall apart because they are so small. in other pieces they need to be glued to other VERY large ones ... and the gluing surface is very small ... it cannot be supported. that's where I have "inventiveness".

Last edited by craft; 11-09-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-09-2021, 08:14 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
You just might have set a forum record for longest post without pictures
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 11-10-2021, 05:03 AM

the images ... I'm uploading them. (wait for me) :D
Old 11-10-2021, 06:08 AM

something else before the images:

the "coupling system" between the SHUTTLE and the STACK (ET). I made some fins (very hard) to the et to be able to INSERT into ALL the shuttles.
Each shuttle has three slot-holes, (one where underneath the front landing gear, the other two underneath the fuel pipes).
this allows to join ANY shuttle with the stack, and in seconds to remove it and place another. (unfortunately this damages the "skin" with thermal tiles ... now it has scars)

Finally and as I mentioned ... the srb and the et are united in a terrible way, with large unions.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:15 AM

first images:
the whole family,
each shuttle in detail,
detail of the engines (difference between the fake engines of the enterprise and a normal shuttle)
difference between noses (enterprise vs columbia)
detail of the thermal shield (enterprise vs normal shuttle) (you can see the holes below)

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_085804.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_081449.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_081500.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_081510.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_081519.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 11-10-2021, 06:18 AM

(sorry, but they only let me upload 5 images per time)
continuous (the endeavor was missing, here it is)

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_081525.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_082429.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_082603.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_081239.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_081359.jpg
Old 11-10-2021, 06:24 AM

(sorry, I forgot to iron the white blanket on the table)

Observe the marks on the structure of the motors (squared)

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_081940.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_082212.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_082244.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_083017.jpg

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_082936.jpg
Old 11-10-2021, 06:27 AM

Attachment 459428 [attach]459429[/attach
Attachment 459430 [attach]459431[/attach
Attachment 459432
Attached Thumbnails
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_083114.jpg   AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_083126.jpg   AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_083340.jpg   AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_083419.jpg   AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_083909.jpg  

Old 11-10-2021, 06:36 AM

from here on all models including the stack ... and the union between the two.

the first configuration of the thought IS FICITICIAN, THE ENTERPRISE together with the complete stack. (in a supposed imaginary case where the enterprise is launched)

the second configuration is "old style" with the columbia (sts-9).

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_083726.jpg ,
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_083742.jpg ,
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_083959.jpg ,
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_084058.jpg ,
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_084215.jpg
Old 11-10-2021, 06:42 AM

and here the last configuration: the most "new" with the ENDEAVOR.

also in the photos you can see the "hook" between the shuttle and the stack. (in the photo where my cat appears)
(I forgot to mention ... in THAT photo ... you can see the very bad adjustment of the wing, there is excess paper on the outside of the wing ... they almost never coincide. neither in shape, nor in angle. maybe axm should do something. I don't know, I say)

AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_084351.jpg
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_084132.jpg
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_084639.jpg
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_084505.jpg
AXM Space Shuttle: all missions done !!!-20211110_084621.jpg
Google Adsense