PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
He is one of the greats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Kamser View Post
you lucky SOAG
no kiss on the forehead for good luck?
He is not in great health, but has a cracker jack comeback for everything.
Read the unbroken chain.

Carl
Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
Sorry for the lack of updates recently. As you all know, sometimes real life gets in the way, you know...sleeping, eating, work...the unimportant stuff - lol. So it has been slow going lately, but I have a made a little progress.

In the first pic, we have step 15 completed. The second is step 16 completed. The third is step 17 in progress and the fourth is step 17 completed. The fifth is step 18 in progress and... oops! I forgot to take a picture of step 18 completed (doh!). The final two pics are of step 19 in progress. and that's where are to this point.

Notes - As I think I mentioned before, I had to cut the nub off of the engine side of part 15 to get it to sit flush on the turbine exhaust. When attaching assembly 15 to assembly 8, I pushed too hard and the glue tabs on part 22 got pushed inside and didn't make good contact to assembly 8 so the connection was rather weak. After I glued 23R and 23L on, I realized that I didn't trim the small white ends of the legs on one of the pieces. I couldn't just let it go (of course) and cut it off with the ol' #11. When I did that, the poor connection between assemblies 8 and 15 gave way. So ultimately, I had to remove the other 23 and reglue everything...ugh! The model was slightly damaged in the process but it's nothing major and nothing a little coloring can't touch up. Part 27 didn't fit into the end of part 12 and needed a little trimming, unfortunately I did a poor job of this and now it is a little on the small side revealing the glue tabs of part 24. Thankfully, it will never be seen once mounted on the base.

I guess it's not going so bad seeing as how it is just my third build.

Till next time...
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-31-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-32-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-33-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-34-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-35-small.jpg  

Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-36-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-37-small.jpg  
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 07-28-2009, 02:59 PM

Chug, Chug, Chuggin' away at this. There's a light at the end of the tunnel now... almost done. Without further ado, the pictures...

The first one is of step 19 completed. The second is step 20 in progress and the third is step 20 completed. The fourth, fifth and sixth are step 21 in progress and the seventh is step 21 completed. The eighth is step 22 in progress and the ninth is step 22 completed. The tenth is steps 23 and 24 in progress and the eleventh is steps 23 and 24 completed. The twelfth and thirteenth are steps 25 and 26 completed from two different angles. The fourteenth is of step 27 in progress. And the last picture... well, that's a picture of a drop of glue on the turbo exhaust... sigh... I still don't know how it got there. :(

Step 27 is the last step in the instructions, but the display stand still needs to be built so there will be a few more pictures for this build yet.

Notes - I tried edge coloring parts 29L and R with a red sharpie but got a little bleeding as you can see (still need to get those Pitt markers). Also with parts 29L and R, I wasn't sure where to attach the long end. The instructions appear to have them attached to the bottom of part 12 but the photos seem to have it going into the bottom of the first stage itself. I went for the latter option. I had issues rolling the longer tubes from steps 23 and 24. I use a paper clip shaped like a triangle to roll tight tubes like that but it was too short for the longer tubes. I eventually went to Wal-Mart and picked up some REALLY big paper clips and made a similar tool which worked sufficiently.

Just a little more and this will be on display in my little cubicle alongside my Mercury Redstone and Gemini Atlas.
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-38-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-39-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-40-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-41-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-42-small.jpg  

Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-43-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-44-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-45-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-46-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-47-small.jpg  

Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-48-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-49-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-50-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-51-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-52-small.jpg  

Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
You have done yourself proud with this build and when complete it will look mighty fine where ever you choose to display it
Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Done!

Wow, this thread has slipped to page 2. Sometimes real life gets in the way of modeling I guess. Well, I just finished it last night! So here we go with the thrilling conclusion of... this build!

In the first pic, the base cover is cut out. The second shows it's guts and pretty pieces. The third is the supports glued to the inside of the cover. The fourth and fifth depict the cover glued over the support beams from the bottom and top respectively. Then I got a little excited and forgot to take a picture of the completed base by itself.:o The final three pictures are, of course the completed model from various angles. Yay!:D

Notes: I decided to print the base cover on slightly thicker card stock than my usual 90 lb. index for extra support. I had to cut off a tiny amount of the pointy ends of the internal supports so the cover would fold over them nicely. This turned out to be because I glued them too far toward the pointy end of the wedge which, in turn caused the flat end of the wedge to "bow in" a little when glued to the backs of the supports. Then I had to trim the excess card that stuck out on the bottom flap. Oh well, lesson learned. I wasn't about to rebuild the base as this was the second build of it already due to a "moisture" problem with the first.

Anyway, that wraps it up. Hope you enjoyed it!

P.S. - I was looking at this thread earlier today at the office and noticed that I said I would display it next to my Mercury Redstone and Gemini Atlas. Of course, I know it's a Gemini Titan II. Sometimes my fingers work faster than my brain - LOL.:p
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-53-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-54-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-55-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-56-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-57-small.jpg  

Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-58-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-59-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-60-small.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
I was well worth the wait.... Superb job, very very nice my friend
Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow! Great build! Now only 4 more of these and about 7 feet of other parts & you'll be all done. Oh wait, I forgot the LUT. You do have cathedral ceilings, don't you? LOL. Seriously, sweet model.

Currently working on: ISS
Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Incredible work, Gideon!
Now you can take it to the JSC, and have it alongside the real one, and shoot a pic of them.
It really looks great!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 MB
That is a really beautiful model! Thank you for the pictures and the build thread. I will try and do 5 of these things some time in the future, and your thread will be a tremendous help. Great work Gideon!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Thank you all!
Google Adsense