PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build

Well, I just started building Greelt's F1 Engine and thought I'd try my hand at doing a build thread. So, without further ado, here are the first photos of my progress. I just hope I don't get carried away and do or 6 steps before realizing "DOH! I didn't take photos." We shall see how it goes...
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-1-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-2-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-3-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-4-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-5-small.jpg  

Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-6-small.jpg  
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Well, I just started building Greelt's F1 Engine and thought I'd try my hand at doing a build thread. So, without further ado, here are the first photos of my progress. I just hope I don't get carried away and do or 6 steps before realizing "DOH! I didn't take photos." We shall see how it goes...
Now this i gotta see - You choose wisely my friend, and i will watch this with great joy... The best damn rocket engine ever made and a model that does it PROUD... Greelt got this one 110 % fantastic model, and i hope you enjoy building it as much as i will enjoy watching you build it :D Please dont forget the WIP pics Nice cuts so far !
Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 AM

lol. That should day 5 or 6 steps but the 5 key on my home comp. is borked.

I guess I should have some kind of narative...

The first pic is step 1 completed and step 2 cut out. The second is step 2 completed. The third is step 3 completed. The fourth is another view of step 3. The fifth is step 4 cut out (in the shape of a smiley for your enjoyment - lol). And the sixth is progress toward completing step 4.

Aligning the markings on the inner cone to the cap for it was a challenge and I don't think I got it perfect, but as my Grandmother says, "You'd never notice it on a gallopin' horse!"

Another challlenge was the triangular piece in step 4. It took me three attempts to get it right. First I wasn't happy with the alignment of the long glue tabs and then I overlapped the small ones too much. But that's the great thing about paper models...you can always print more!

More to come...hopefully tonight.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Steps 4 and 5...

Ok, here are some pics of what I was able to accomplish last night...

First pic is step 4 halfway done. Second is step 4 almost done. Third is step 4 completed. Fourth is the heated gas feed tube sections cut out. Last one is step 5 completed.

Issues (I always have issues) - In step 4, I glued the heated gas feedthrough(triangular thingy) on upside down :( but my trusty Exacto #11 was able to take it off without damaging it. One of the tube sections slipped on me as it was drying so I had to peel it off and cut out a new one to replace it, luckily I already had another page printed and ready. :D As the instructions state in step 5, I had to trim part #9L to fit properly (so i guess that's technically not an issue). I'm not completely happy with the edge-to-edge alignment of the tube sections (my own doing - not design related) but I guess that's what step 6 is for.

So far, I am in awe of the quality of kit Greelt has put together here. Everything fits like a glove so far.

Well, that's it for now. Hopefully tonight I will have more eye candy for you (last night I finished up too late to upload the pics)...
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-7-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-8-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-9-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-10-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-11-small.jpg  

Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Forum Helper

Can't wait for the next pics my friend - All will be apparent has you progress.... Nice so far
Google Adsense
Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 PM

I've made a bunch of progress since my last posting, so there are lots of pictures! I think I'm about to find out what the upload limit is for this forum (if there is one).

Let's see...the first pic is the beginnings of step 6 with one seam partailly glued and the others at the ready. The second is step 6 completed. The third is step 7 parts cut out. The fourth is step 7 partially complete and the fifth is step 7 completed. The sixth one shows the three main parts of the engine ready for assembly and the seventh is step 8 completed. The eighth pic is the parts for step 9 cut out and the ninth is step 9 completed. The tenth is of the parts for step 10 cut out. The eleventh shows step 10 completed and step 9 next to it ready for assembly. Then the twelfth shows step 11 completed. The thirteenth picture is of the step 12 parts cut out and finally, the fouteenth is of step 12 completed with the tube supports in place (whew!).

Notes (sounds better than issues, huh?) - In step 6 as I was putting the seam covers on the turbine exhaust pipe, the cover strips eventually needed trimming to keep the center hole obstruction-free, but Greelt accounted for this as the instructions state to keep the hole clear. After test-fitting part #15 to the exhaust pipe, I felt like the little nub on the nozzle side of it needed to be cut off to allow the part to fully seat around the support (time will tell if it was the right choice when I have to actually attach it later ). I wasn't sure how the tube supports in step 12 were supposed to attach to the tube (I'm a little slow sometimes) but I think I got them on correctly after looking ahead in the instructions.

That's it for now. I'm still hard at work on it as I type and should have another update very soon. Hope you're enjoying it!
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-12-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-13-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-14-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-15-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-16-small.jpg  

Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-17-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-18-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-19-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-20-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-21-small.jpg  

Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-22-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-23-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-24-small.jpg   Greelt 1:48 F1 Engine Build-25-small.jpg  
Old 07-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Forum Helper

Still with you on this one my friend, and the build is coming along fine... the strips became apparent in the build and your slight tweeks will work out just fine. looking forward to the next installment :D
Old 07-12-2009, 06:49 PM

OK, it's done! Here is my F1 engine...

All right...maybe not...

Yeah, this is the real deal at JSC Rocket Park. Loved my visit there.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
OK, it's done! Here is my F1 engine...

It's o.k !, but you could have put a tad more detail in there - the background looks almost real :D You lucky person
Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Heh heh

Beautiful job so far...