PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-16-2018, 10:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
S&P Saturn V, in 1/288th

After building three (!?!) Rocinantes, it was time to get back to Real Space. Inspired by Algebraist's giant 1/24th-scale Saturn V, I decided to build the big launcher, too, but went in the opposite direction, scale-wise.

Bruno's S&P version comes in 1/300th scale, but I "enlarged" it to 1/288th scale. Bruno's model gives you the basic shapes, so any detail needs to be added.

The S-IC markings also need to be corrected, which I did lowtech; I used a marker to widen the roll markings, and used paper to cover the incorrect roll markings on the first stage's interstate. Roll markings on the S-IIC have to be corrected, too.

I borrowed a number of markings and details (suitably shrunk) from the 1/96th scale Saturn V by Ton Noteboom that Legal01 tinkered with. All the various fairings, tunnels, cable raceways, drains, fills, ullage motors, etc. were scratchbuilt from card. I also used the Noteboom/Legal01 F1 engines, but covered them with discolored aluminum foil to replicate the insulation that covered every F1 that ever flew. (While F1s with all their exposed plumbing and wiring make for great modeling subjects, if you're modeling a Saturn V that flew, the F1s and all that glorious plumbing were covered by insulation batting.)

The LES tower was scratchbuilt out of v-e-r-y thin strips of card. I used silver paper for the Service Module of the Apollo spacecraft.

Now my 1/288th-scale Saturn 1B has its bigger brother....

(And sorry for the lousy photos. I just can't get good photos of white models in our apartment. Probably the lighting.)
Attached Thumbnails
S&P Saturn V, in 1/288th-img_6656.jpg   S&P Saturn V, in 1/288th-img_6662.jpg   S&P Saturn V, in 1/288th-img_6658.jpg   S&P Saturn V, in 1/288th-img_6668.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2018, 11:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Wow, you make me jealous. I can't seem to get anything satisfactory out of my builds nowadays. This just looks stunningly good, David.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 228.85 MB
Nice Job David, looks realy stunningly good. I started with the bigger one last night. Saturn V, LUT and Crawler in 1:100.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:45 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Great work David!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Thanks, all. Given that display space is at a premium in our tiny apartment, I've taken a cue from PK and Ray and decided to try smaller scales. They are actually kind of fun and a bit more challenging. You guys have provided a lot of inspiration over the years, so thank you.
Google Adsense
Old 04-17-2018, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
They look great. Excellant work.

Darren
Old 04-18-2018, 12:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Hi David

A really nice set of models. I really don't know how you managed the LES. Terrific work.
Perhaps one day they will have matching LUT's (and a milkstool for the 1B)?

Regards

Kevin