PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-31-2018, 03:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....

The recording project I was supposed to do this week got postponed, so I decided to dive into the final part of my STS-1 undertaking, the Crawler-Transporter. Here is Week 1's progress.

As with the Shuttle Stack and MLP, I'm using Alfonso's 1/144th kit, resized to 1/288th. I'm building it pretty much as it comes. In this scale, it sometimes helps to cut off some of the glue tabs; they just get in the way. Except for that and a few other bits and pieces, it is pretty much built as Alfonso intended.

Next week, I'll start on the walkways and railings and final touch-ups. I was going to put off the railings in hopes of finding something usable while I'm back in the U.S. this summer, but I was digging through a stack of my stuff and found some laser-cut ship railings from Avant-Card that I think can be modified and used. In fact, if I have enough, I may go back and use them on the MLP's Side 1 decks. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6857.jpg   Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6858.jpg   Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6859.jpg   Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6856.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2018, 04:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
It looks fabulous, although it is not my subject I like to see this type of models. Your work looks great
Sergio
Old 05-31-2018, 05:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Amazing.

I've always loved the crawler and shuttle combination.
Will keep an eye on this already impressive build.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Small but very nice!

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 05-31-2018, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Jeez that's tiny! Well done!
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 228.85 MB
Very nice job...
Old 06-03-2018, 02:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Wow!

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-03-2018, 05:10 AM

Thank goodness for laser-cut ship railings. I had some left over from some ships I had built and when I dug through my pile of them, I discovered I had enough to add railings to my Crawler-Transporter AND MLP. (That meant ripping off the scratch-built railings I had already installed on the MLP. Always fun cutting off stuff you glued on....)

The railings come from a company called AvantCard (AvantCard - Ship Railings and they worked just fine. I had to cut them down a bit to match 1/288th, but they worked, or at least you look at them and think, "Railings!" In modeling, sometimes the illusion is enough.

I still have a couple of minor bits to add, and I may add railings that you see in photos surrounding the SRB and SSME holes on the MLP. When all that is done, there'll be a bit of clean-up and touch-up and the C-T and MLP will be mated. The finish line is only a day or so away....
Attached Thumbnails
Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6866.jpg   Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6867.jpg   Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6864.jpg   Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6865.jpg  
Old 06-04-2018, 01:09 AM

I'm going to let it sit for a day or two and figure out where touch-ups are needed -- and I'll take some "beauty" shots then -- but I'm thinking this one is done. Thanks again to Alfonso for designing and offering a great range of models. All three (Shuttle Stack, MLP and Crawler-Transporter) were fun builds, even in 1/288th.
Attached Thumbnails
Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6876.jpg   Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6879.jpg   Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6883.jpg   Preview of coming attractions, Part 3....-img_6884.jpg