PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
Amazing work as always, David! Your level of detailing got me interested in this whole card model rocket thing.

Les (The Voice of Authority)
Thanks for the kind words, Les. I dare say you've done some great and inspirational work yourself.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
The Orbiter name and other printing does pose a problem that I've not figured a way around, yet. I was thinking of using bathroom tissue (Cottonelle, in particular...) stiffened with a 50-50 mix of PVC glue and water. Mix the glue and water and load it into one of those plant sprayer thingies, then spray the toilet tissue, which is taped to a piece of wax paper backed with cardboard. Then you let it dry (which in Kuwait takes about 30 seconds) and you wind up with stiffened, textured paper that can be cut pretty easily.
That is indeed the method I had in mind. You have used it before, I think. Wasn't that on the Orion / Constellation in orbit model? I don't know the tissue's brand, but I presume it's one that doesn't have a decorative structure or print. I have to try that method too, one day. it is inspiring.

Quote:
The other issue, though, is that the AFRSI blankets could be quite small in 1/144th. Not an insurmountable issue, just a lot of work, particularly if I'm going to detail the open Payload Bay.
In the end it's not the work but the enjoyment. It doesn't matter how long you work on a model. For teh blankets, you could work around that by first glueing small, very thin strips of paper on the hull and then adding larger sheets of tissue over a couple of these strips. The strips accentuate the seams and overlaps like on the original orbiter. Especially in 1/144 this is still very doable I guess.

I remember master model maker Phil "Astrazoic" Smith's 1/72 Monogram orbiter from about a decade ago. he used surgical tape. Inspiring stuff.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:09 AM

Ok, NOW it's done. Cobbled together enough railings for the MLP deck.
Attached Thumbnails
STS-1 on its way to the pad, in 1/288th....-img_6906.jpg   STS-1 on its way to the pad, in 1/288th....-img_6912.jpg   STS-1 on its way to the pad, in 1/288th....-img_6910.jpg   STS-1 on its way to the pad, in 1/288th....-img_6904.jpg  
Old 06-06-2018, 01:48 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
It's a beauty David. Very well done.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:18 AM

You know how you'll finish a model but then there'll be something about it that nags at you, that keeps you up at night and you think, "I gotta change/add/remove/redo that"?? Then you start to obsess over it and you know you'll get no rest until it is dealt with.

On the MLP, there's a temporary orange fence around the SSME hole. You can see it in pad photos. It is removed before launch. But I figured since my STS-1 is on the Crawler-Transporter, launch isn't imminent so I needed to add the railing. I used AvantCard laser-cut railing, painted and cut to match photos.

So here are what I hope are the photos of STS-1 in its final form. Unless, of course, something else decides to keep me up at night....
Attached Thumbnails
STS-1 on its way to the pad, in 1/288th....-img_6935.jpg   STS-1 on its way to the pad, in 1/288th....-img_6933.jpg   STS-1 on its way to the pad, in 1/288th....-img_6924.jpg   STS-1 on its way to the pad, in 1/288th....-img_6929.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-07-2018, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
That really puts the finishing touch on it. Looking great. Compared to my crude hand-cut railings in 1/400 these railings are so immensely subtle...
Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi David,

I really dislike doing it, but unfortunately I have to disappoint you.

During the STS-1, the SSWS pipe system was not yet available, only the six Rainbirds.

Source: NASA

In view of the damages that occurred during the STS-1 launch these pipes were retrofitted not until for STS-2, even with Water bags, as one can see in this photo.

Source: capcomespace.net
But if you call it STS-2 instead of STS-1, then it's true again.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 06-07-2018, 12:42 PM

Well, phooey. It's always something. STS-2 it is, then.

And no need to apologize, Manfred. We have an unstated obligation here to help make each other better modelers. And one moral of this story is: You can never do too much research. I appreciate your help.

I also note the railing around the SSME hole (and SRB holes) is gray, not the later orange.

Hmmm. I may look into ripping out the SSWS plumbing. I really want it to be STS-1, given its historic nature. Time to load up the X-acto knife with a fresh No. 11 blade....

A question, Manfred: does that mean my plumbing around part of the SSME hole has to go, too?

Last edited by dhanners; 06-07-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi David,

keep cool, I know what it's like when someone suddenly comes and turns everything around ...
But these are the detail problems when you commit yourself to a specific mission that I know well enough.

Regarding your last question:
The plumbing around part of the SSME hole are hardly to see on your MLP-1, but I think I know which ones you mean, namely those yellow pipes, right?

These are the Firex Lines, which you can also see in the Hi-Res. photo of the STS-1 MLP, which can stay.

Here you can see the whole Firex Plumbing on my MLP-2.

The thicker 12'' pipes with the nozzles are connected to the SSWS Pipe System, which did not exist during STS-1.

I hope that I could help a little bit.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 06-07-2018, 05:27 PM

Thanks. That helps. Yeah, that's the pluming I was talking about. I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow morning. I think the surgery can be done without too much destruction, but it's still surgery.

I like the historic aspect of STS-1, but then again, STS-2 was historic in its own way since it was the first time a space vehicle had been re-launched.....
Google Adsense