PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-08-2018, 06:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Up next was the bottom ring. This ring contained the yo-yo system, that was needed to un-spin the satellite in orbit.
The fourth stage of the Scout launcher spun the satellite up to 60 RPM or thereabout to keep it stabilised in the last push into orbit. After that, ANS needed to stop the spinning to be able to do her job right.
Nowadays, satellites often have small gas thrusters but because of the weight limits of the Scout, ANS could not exceed 130 kilograms. So no thrusters on board. There had to be another way to unspin. The engineers used two small weights on long cables that rapidly unwound after the satellite was released and they took most of the motion away with it. The last bit of rotation could be stopped with the three reaction wheels ANS used for positioning.

The inner part of the ring was made from gold paper, I partially removed the golden layer because due to its orientation to the sun half of it was painted matt black. The outer ring had small straight parts and without proper instructions I had to puzzle for a moment to get it right. But in the end it all explained itself. The yo-yo parts were scratch built.
The orange shield (?) inside the ring was elevated a little from the base plate in the real thing. So I cut them loose of the base plate and placed them a little higher, on doubled pieces of card. The block in the middle is where the 4th stage of the Scout was attached. The gold inside the ring was made from chocolate wrapper.

Next were the solar panels. The printed version showed small dark lines representing the circuitry on the backside of the panels. The real panels have silvery lines, so I used some sticky aluminium tape to give the circuitry a nice shiny appearance. Thin silvery strips with orange clamps on top. I covered them with a layer of clear acrylic paint to prevent them curling up.

And that is where I am now. Note that on the last photo the solar panels are reversed, the photovoltaic side will face in this direction eventually.

I hope the next part won't be as tardy as this one. But well, the heat is hard to model in. Luckily, today it is raining. Finally some cooling.
Attached Thumbnails
ANS - The first dutch adventure in space-p1120231.jpg   ANS - The first dutch adventure in space-p1120233.jpg   ANS - The first dutch adventure in space-p1120234.jpg   ANS - The first dutch adventure in space-p1120235.jpg   ANS - The first dutch adventure in space-p1120261.jpg  

ANS - The first dutch adventure in space-p1120269.jpg   ANS - The first dutch adventure in space-p1120276.jpg   ANS - The first dutch adventure in space-p1120277.jpg   ANS - The first dutch adventure in space-p1120278.jpg  
Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Fantastic work, very meticulous, neat and the text with the details of the excellent construction. I hope the weather improves, we see the news here and we know how bad the weather is in Europe.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
The fourth stage of the Scout launcher spun the satellite up to 60 RPM or thereabout to keep it stabilised in the last push into orbit.

That should be 180 rpm. Just a teeny tiny little bit faster. (just reading more about the fourth stage of the rocket that launched ANS into orbit, the Scout 1D (and the fourth stage was called UTC FW-4S, which I think is a great and suitable name for a rocket stage.)

I think am going to try and build ANS mounted on the fourth stage of the Scout. Detachable, I think. it is just an idea.

And thanks for the nice comment, Sergio!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 339.83 MB
Ans

Looking good, thus far !! ;-)

And when you have finished this one, mentally prepare yourself for something bigger.
And with a lot more parts.
It's the stuff nightmares are made of............. |-)

PS.
And if you managed to survive that one, get ready for something even worse.
In scale 1:1............
And it is NOT a modern Cubesat !
Old 10-04-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETG View Post
[...] get ready for something even worse.
In scale 1:1............
And it is NOT a modern Cubesat !

A life size paper model of André Kuipers?
Old 10-04-2018, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 339.83 MB
Quizzzz

Yep !

Him in his Russian space suit. Which means it's gonna be a big space suit. André is not a small guy ! ;-)
How he ever fit inside a Soyuz capsule, is still a mystery to me. I think they removed some of the padding.....??!! ;-)

_________
Erik

PS..... The 1:1 scale model is just too big to be printed on A4 sheet. This will be my first ever model that will have to be printed on heavy A3 size paper.
This means many (probably most) people are not able to print this model at home. They will have to go to a professional print shop. But, I promise you,
the extra effort will be worth it. Financially the difference will be negligible, so that's one less thing to worry about.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:52 AM

That makes me even more curious. And I do have an A3 printer.

The build of ANS is temporarily on hold because of lots of things like work, work and more work. But she keeps winking at me from the desk in my hobby room..
Soon, ANS, soon.

Tags
ans, astronomy, dutch, erik te groen, satellite