PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-26-2018, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit

Has anyone done a set of these to go with a detailed flight vehicle such as SA-506 ?
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2018, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Just build the engines and wrap them in either aluminium foil or a silvery cocolate wrapper. Same effect. You don't even have to detail it extensively underneath the wrapper, just some relief here and there will do the trick.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Did it when I built the Saturn V in 1/288th. Assembled the nozzles, then used pieces of laminated cardstock to rough out the shape of the F-1's plumbing, then covered the whole affair with pieces of aluminum foil.

I know modelers like to show off their work on the F-1's plumbing, but if you're modeling a Saturn V that actually flew, the F-1s were covered with insulation.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:04 AM

For the detailing part I have made the F1 in 1/48 on a kart; so you could see all the plumbing and whatnots around the engine. The 1/96th version I still plan to finish one day, will have clad engine bells. I already have some, so I'll show them here. One is finished, and one is almost finished.
(this has all been made a couple of years ago)

The blankets were reinforced with rivets. I tried to replicate that effect by using a slightly blunted-by-usage Dremel circle saw, which I made a handle for to roll it over the aluminium foil. (I used aluminium insulation tape for this, by the way, because it sticks.)
The cladding was made in parts, not just one piece wrapped around the engine. This also gave me the opportunity to 'rivet' the separate parts better.
Attached Thumbnails
F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-p1120238.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-p1120239.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-p1120240.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-p1120241.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-p1120244.jpg  

Old 07-27-2018, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Well done, PK,

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2018, 02:04 PM

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. Yes I have found some aluminum tape which I think will duplicate the color tones. What I am wondering if it even exists, is or has there been a pattern template for how the thermal protection blankets were applied to the engines ? There was an order in how they fit to the engines and would have been the same for all flight engines. I am to be constructing a large scale example of with and without TPS for my 50th anniversary display of the moon landing.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:34 PM

These are the pictures I based my engines on. I didn't want to be 100% exact, I just wanted to show the batted engines and the textures. I hope they can help you a little further.
Attached Thumbnails
F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-engine-batting-tps1.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-engine-batting-tps2.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-engine-batting-tps3.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-engine-batting-tps4.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-engine-batting-tps5.jpg  

F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-engine-batting-tps6.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-engine-batting-tps7.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-thermal-protection.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-insulation-kopie.jpg   F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-insulation-pic.jpg  

F-1 Flight Batted Engines for Saturn V Card Kit-f-1-insulation.jpg  
Old 08-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Thank you PK....yes they do help a great deal.....

Bob
Old 09-05-2018, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 156.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
For the detailing part I have made the F1 in 1/48 on a kart; so you could see all the plumbing and whatnots around the engine. The 1/96th version I still plan to finish one day, will have clad engine bells. I already have some, so I'll show them here. One is finished, and one is almost finished.
(this has all been made a couple of years ago)

The blankets were reinforced with rivets. I tried to replicate that effect by using a slightly blunted-by-usage Dremel circle saw, which I made a handle for to roll it over the aluminium foil. (I used aluminium insulation tape for this, by the way, because it sticks.)
The cladding was made in parts, not just one piece wrapped around the engine. This also gave me the opportunity to 'rivet' the separate parts better.

Nice detail. I'm starting the Viper Mark 2 by uhu02. I'm trying ideas for my detail and this is an awesome example.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM

Please keep this on topic for F-1 TPS...thank you
Google Adsense