PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V

So while I'm patiently awaiting Misha's LUT and Saturn V release and not having the courage yet to start his Crawler, I thought I would tackle the 1/48 Saturn from Lower Hudson Valley Gift Shop.

After the Four Little Spaceships the larger size is a great relief, although starting with the F-1 engine it still has a few tiny parts. I wanted to actually have made some progress before starting this thread, and my intent is to hang this in my grandson's room, so this has been and exercise in speed over detail for me so some edges aren't perfect and I'm not bothering with coloring the edges. I kind of like the raw edges and the look that it is clearly made of paper.

So here is my first milestone:
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3316.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3317.jpg   Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3318.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2017, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
building it from the ground up. Love it.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Your off to a incredible start, an amazing amount of detail in there already.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:13 PM

So much for today.

Oh well, it could have been worse, I could have been a lot further into the build. I went to cut formers as per instructions @ 216 mm but the printed heat shield measures out to 198 mm! Sure enough all my thrust structure and 1st stage pieces were apparently printed to fit the page, so this afternoon was spent re-printing forty-something pages, this time checked for accuracy. Here's today's work into the trash bin.
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3321.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-21-2017, 10:05 PM

Almost caught back up. I half considered carrying on with wrong-sized thrust structure because it didn't sound like it was too far off but here's the difference, and it made something already big feel HUGE thinking about how much is still to add just to complete stage one. Speaking of 'huge', a huge thanks to Greelt for all his work on this kit. I'll always love my Alan Rose Saturn, it was my intro to paper models. But greelt's dwarfes, not simply in size but in details also.
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3322.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2017, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
You're off to a good start. Love how the F1's look. An impressive sight, all five of them together. I see you have used my recolours of Greelt's engine parts, it's really nice to know people actually use them. I'll follow your build, an 1/48 Saturn V is something to behold.

I still have the Alan Rose Saturn uncut in its original book shape and tend to keep it like that, as a relic or something like that. The Greelt Peterusma / Frederic Bouchar Frankensaturn is much more detailed and correct.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:06 PM

Thanks, PK, for your contribution to this project, you made an already great detail look even better. All the hands that went into putting this together, it's kind of reminiscent of all the contractors with the full size rocket.

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 PM

Not a lot of progress to look at after working one evening after the holiday weekend, three formers and some odds and ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3329.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-31-2017, 01:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
1/48 - This is going to be a monster ...

The F-1 engines look terrific, a very clean work.

This is going to be exciting, I stay tuned.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 PM

Thanks Manfred. Last night I tried every way I could think of to roll or fold the support struts for the engine actuators and fairings, but I couldn't get satisfactory results. Tonight I stopped at my local hobby store and bought some pre-paper in form of 1/16th square stock spruce. Not a lot of progress but definitely in a better mood!

I don't know if it's the paper thickness or maybe just a difference in the card stock itself, but when I made Greelt's F-1 after he first released it, I had much better luck rolling the small tubes. One aspect that is different, this time is it's printed with a laser rather than ink-jet and I wonder if the heat setting has affected the papers' flexibility?
Attached Thumbnails
Greelt's (& company) Saturn V-img_3330.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense